gone bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyR

Reaction score
brewed my version of Bell's two hearted (extract) a few weeks ago. Fermented well, left in primary for about 3 week. started at 1.064 or so (I don't have my notes with me) and down to about 1.018 or so and transferred into glass secondary (6 gallon carboy). Added 1oz of hops in a nylon bag. In the past I just poured the hop pellets in the secondary but found that they didn't always settle out, and didn't want to have flakes in my beer again, so I used a nylon bag from the brew store. I had used the bag previously and had cleaned it and let it soak in my bucket of starsan sanitizer for 15-20 minutes prior to adding pellet hops and into the secondary. I went out of town for a few days and just went to check on it to possibly keg it this weekend and get it started.

When I transferred it to secondary it was a very nice clear beer, smelled great and looked very good, tasted good as well, just missing a bit of dry hop.

I went to look at it thought and am very concerned. the hop bag was floating but seemed like it had some extra green/yellow on it, and the beer was very cloudy. The top 2" or so was clear but there seemed to be a dividing line and the lower beer was not clear at all...

attempting to attach some photos:

Beer secondary, might be able to make out dividing line between the clear top and murky lower portion:
DSC_0768.jpg

hop bag floating:
DSC_0764.JPG

Hard to see/focus but you can see the hop bag and it's partially yellow vs. the green I would have expected?

DSC_0766.JPG

thoughts on the beer? it still smells decent (no obvious bad odor), but the two "layers" and cloudy majority are making me thing it got infected when I put it in secondary.

I can get any other details if needed. was a new bag of hops (not opened, everything sprayed down with starsan, etc). if it's bad it's my first bad batch of beer so far(maybe 13 batches). The only thing I can think of is I missed something cleaning the nylon bag and something grew from that? That's the only thing I've done differently with this batch. I was hoping to have it on draft for the 4th party, so very disappointed if it's a toss out.. :(

I"m crossing my fingers but when I transferred it to the secondary the whole thing was clear like the top portion. I don't mind waiting longer, ideally I was hoping to get down to around 1.014/12 before I kegged it, but the whole "was clear now it's cloudy" thing got me concerned..

It looks fine to me.. maybe cloudy from hop particles? Generally mine looks like this, more yellow than green.

I'll check it again tonight when I get home but roughly how much longer should I wait? Would it help to cold crash it and see if that clears it up? It was beautiful when it came out of the primary... :(

I think what you're seeing is typical when dry-hopping with pellets. Some folks prefer to dry-hop with whole leaf hops to avoid the murkiness that you often get with pellets.

hadn't thought about the pellets vs. whole hops. good point. any it was in my 6 gal vs. my usual 5 gallon (too much headspace). live and learn. guess I'll just wait it out and see if it clears and roll with it. :)

thanks for putting my mind at ease. I was crushed when I came home and was thinking I'd be enjoying it in a few days and saw what I thought might be ruined beer. :(

Latest posts

Back