Golden Promise / Rye Lambic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrheinous

Reaction score
For those making lambic, how often do you deviate from the traditional Pilsner/Raw Wheat? Brewer's Friend has a neat table of what other people on that platform have done recipe-wise.

I'm thinking of 60% Golden Promise and 40% Raw Rye. GP maintains a certain sweetness in a clean beer that can be used for bugs while the rye adds some complexity without adding spice.

The lambic style is a light barley and wheat, traditionally Pilsner and unmalted wheat as you noted. So, maybe it isn't a traditional lambic but you can do whatever you want when making a sour.

First one I brewed, about a month ago, was 40% rye, 15% dark wheat, and the remainder was 2-row.

I just bottled a sour that was 11 lb 2 row, 1 lb flaked barley, and 1 lb crystal 40. Tastes fantastic. Tradition is great but the lambic tradition started before modern malt. Explore away.

Like Bensiff said,explore away.
Do not fall into the trap of thinking you are going to brew a "Lambic" and therefore MUST use that traditional grain bill.
Go into it looking at a different angle: I am going to brew a tasty as hell sour beer and will allow my own taste and better judgement to drive the recipe.
I just brewed up a Stingo to be soured and am super excited about it

I do like the idea of lambics and dealing with vintages to make gueueze but they can come out rather simple.

What I ended up going with was 60% Golden Promise and 40% mixed "7 grain cereal mix" (millet, barley, corn, rye, etc.) because even the fancy Whole Foods-type places around here didn't have raw rye berries. The cereal was toasted, half with a soaking and half dry, and a bit of chocolate wheat was added to make it darker.

Now that sound interesting!
How did you go about hopping?
What kind of culture did you pitch?

This one was pitched on a 10 month old Oud Bruin yeast cake (Roeselare was the original pitching blend) which had dregs of Sam Adams New World Trippel, Liefmans Goudenband, and a few other commercial sours. Probably Monks Cafe and some others too. I did an oud bruin-style sour brown and a crabapple Flander's red in August 2014.

With the new beer I also pitched a 1L La Roja starter and dregs from Oro de Calabaza and Tart of Darkness.

A pic of the '7 grain cereal mix' is here. I based the potential on flaked rye and took 0.02 points off for toasting (1.034) which is what you get going from 2-row to Victory.

10# Simpsons Golden Promise
3# 7 Grain Cereal Mix, pre-milled and toasted at 300F for 25min
3# cereal mix soaked with water and toasted at 300F for 25F
1# Briess Midnight Wheat

0.8 oz of 8% First Gold hops (First wort hopped, 100 min boil) - 26 IBU, 0.4 BU/GU ratio. Definitely oud bruin hopping and not lambic hopping; I do have the aged hops for a lambic and usually do 3oz/5G (I have 4G of lambic from October 2014 and 10G from this May).

Brought the 6# of 'cereal' in 2G of water to 200F and let sit for 10min; added half the GP malt and 2G and brought to 125F for 30min; added 2G water and raised to 160F for 30 min. Sparged to 7.5G at 180F, all done via direct fired mash tun.

100 minute boil (humid day gave low boil-off)
1.066 OG, 5.5G batch, 60% efficiency

I might have to start playing with water chemistry. My brewing water is a little alkaline but cereal mash and high temp mashes haven't done super well for me. Who knows what the potential of the cereal mix is though.

Great detail in your reply. Thanks.
Maybe have a look at the brewing water chemistry primer by ajdelang.
Since I started using it,I have seen REALA difference in my brews

Latest posts

Back