Golden naked oats smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaldApe

Reaction score
I brewed a light colored Mild yesterday using Simpsons Golden Naked Oats for the first time. I chewed a few gains before grinding them, and they seemed fine.
After I mashed in, there was a smell that reminded me of vomit. It persisted through the mash, but seemed to dissipate in the boil.
BTW, I'll use rice hulls with these next time. The brain bed turned to concrete.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's one day in the fermenter now, so I haven't tasted it yet.

I have used GNO before and they were fine. No vomit smell or anything. I think you need to wait until it is done. :)

I never detected vomit from GNO. Perhaps yours had gone bad somehow, like if they got moist and allowed to rot?? In the mash or the boil they should give a smell very reminiscent of oatmeal.

Now, concrete...... yes, that happens! Rice hulls are very much recommended for these.

GNO smells great in and out of the mash. I use them in a Surly Abrasive clone I designed and it is one of my favorite homebrews I make. Is it possible that there was actually some vomit near where you were brewing?

Because the oats are so much smaller than barley I ground them fine. It was a pound of GNO, a pound of Simpsons dark crystal (L 80) and a pound of lighter crystal, with marris otter as the base (about 10 lb) in an 11 gal batch. On reflection, it's probably that I ground the GNO so excessively fine.

Dunno, but I use GNO a lot and never experienced concrete or vomit. Got a beer going now with them and it was fantastic last time I brewed it. I just dump them into the mill with everything else and they seem to do just fine. No additional milling needed. Hopefully your beer comes out fine!

Back