Golden Horde Belgain Stong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rundorig76

Reaction score
I stared my first Belgain beer about four weeks ago using 1388 wyeast, using a batch we started a couple of days before brewing. It started out fermentation strong and then started and stop fermenting like I heard it would. It started out about 18.5 brix. I have taken three other readings since: 9.5, 8.5 ,9.1. Did we some how get an erranous second reading? How could the gravity go up and down of we never added or took anything out? Is this normal, it tastes great. It has just started to begin to clear well. How long should I let ot go before bottling? Ill post the recipe in the next post

The Golden Horde
A Hoppy Golden Belgain Strong Ale

6 lbs Briess golden light dme
3 lbs 2.5 oz Norther Brewer golden lme
2 lbs golden belgain candi sugar
8 oz unpasturised dark wildflower honey
1lbs carapils malt
4 oz Gambrinus honey malt
4 oz Belgian aromatic malt

1 oz stryian goldings hops 3.8 AA 60 min boil
1 oz german smaragd hops 4.4 AA for 60 mins
.5 oz u.s. mosaic hops 12.7 AA boil 15 min and again at 2 mins
.5 oz german hallertau hops 4.3 AA for 15 and again for 2 mins boil
I then dryhopped it with 1 oz mosaic hops for two or three weeks (I can't remeber) but I took them out today.
I also used one teaspoon of irish moss for 15min boil.

I got a SRM of 10 and an IBU of 54.

We have been using a heater band on the glass and before the plastic carboys to keep to around 72 degrees

So far it has lots of complex tropical citrus flavors and some good floral notes, with a smooth bitterness from the hops. The yeast is nice and estery with fruity floral aroma. Also some light malt flavor and good malt aroma.

I stared my first Belgain beer about four weeks ago using 1388 wyeast, using a batch we started a couple of days before brewing. It started out fermentation strong and then started and stop fermenting like I heard it would. It started out about 18.5 brix. I have taken three other readings since: 9.5, 8.5 ,9.1. Did we some how get an erranous second reading? How could the gravity go up and down of we never added or took anything out? Is this normal, it tastes great. It has just started to begin to clear well. How long should I let ot go before bottling? Ill post the recipe in the next post

A refractometer changes when there is alcohol in the liquid. If you take hydrometer readings once fermentation has begun, they will be accurate.

There are correction formulas to use when using a refractometer, but they haven't been all that accurate for me anyway. Still, you want to use a refractometer for FG readings, that is the only way to do it.

I always use a hydrometer to check FG due to the limitations of the measuring of refracted light through alcohol with a refractometer.

So you think we likely just messed up the second reading? I have never had my gravity go both ways. Ill get a new hydrometer (our old one broke) and retest in a week or so. For any how have used 1388 how long have you left it in the secondary? Since it is a HOPPY golden belgian, can I leave it too long? I have read/heard hoppy beers are better fresh.

Back