Golden Eagle - Blonde Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natefrog255

Reaction score
Looking to make a nice full flavor yet not filling Blonde Ale. Something that is smooth but could drink all night. What do you think of the below recipe...any feedback is appreciated and welcome!

3.3# Pilsen LME
2# Clover Honey
1# Golden Light or Pilsen DME
0.5# Caramel 10
0.75# Corn Syrup Solids (I have a bag to get rid of)
0.5# Maltodextrin (to combat dryness of honey)

I would steep the Caramel 10 in 1/2 gallon of water for 30 minutes at 150 degrees. The DME & corn syrup I would disolve in half gallon of water before boil. I would add both of these, with 2 gallons of water, and bring to a boil. So it would be a 3 gallon boil.

I would add the 3.3# at the 55 minute mark and honey at the conclusion of the boil and would let pasteurize for 10 minutes, then cool.

Hops I haven't determined yet. Any recommendations? I thought about trying Citra as a bittering/flavor and Saaz as the aroma. Probably would do around 20 IBU's to make it more consumer friendly.

Thoughts?

Estimated OG of above would be around 1.050 give or take with a FG of 1.014. ABV around 4.5%

Hops my prelim choice are...

Citra - 0.4 oz. - 60 mins
Citra - 0.3 oz. - 30 mins
Saaz - 1.0 oz. - 1 min.
IBU - 20 or 21

Only issue is Citra may be hard to find. Seems to be sold out at alot of places.

You aren't gonna taste much of the Citra if its added at 60min and 30min. Use a cheaper hop for these additions or bittering hop like Magnum. If you want a little of that Citra flavor/aroma think about adding some near the end of the boil with the Saaz or dry hopping with it.

What yeast and temperature are you thinking about using?

You aren't gonna taste much of the Citra if its added at 60min and 30min. Use a cheaper hop for these additions or bittering hop like Magnum. If you want a little of that Citra flavor/aroma think about adding some near the end of the boil with the Saaz or dry hopping with it.

What yeast and temperature are you thinking about using?

Thanks for the reply! Good logic on not using Citra as the bittering. It doesn't pay to spend more for something you won't really notice. Yeast I plan to use Wyesat 1056 - American Ale if I do liquid which I think I am switching to full time. Temps will be high 60's for fermenting.

Back