Going to the secondary to soon question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobrew

Reaction score
I am about 100% positive I went to the secondary to soon.
1. I did not take gravity reading.
2. I can see yeast moving up and down in the secondary.(daughter thinks they are fish. She's 3 1/2)
3. There is a small amount of krausen floating on top.
So my question is when should I start taking my gravity readings?
It is a Candian Ale I brewed it on the 30th and racked over to the secnodary on the 6th. Recipe said 1 week in primary. The temp is at 66 degrees.
Any advice besides take gravity readings prior to racking over to the secondary.
Yhanks
To Brew

That is why the only way you can know it is finished fermenting is by taking gravity readings. In primary you shouldn't rely off of just 1 week. I would say after 1 week then take a gravity reading. Your reading should hopefully be close to what your recipe calls for your OG should be. If it isn't give it more time. Once you have 3 consecutive days of consecutive readings your primary fermentation is finished. I never take a gravity reading until the krausen has gone down. Sometimes has taken more than a week for the krausen to go down for some of my brews.

I am about 100% positive I went to the secondary to soon.
1. I did not take gravity reading.
2. I can see yeast moving up and down in the secondary.(daughter thinks they are fish. She's 3 1/2)
3. There is a small amount of krausen floating on top.
So my question is when should I start taking my gravity readings?
It is a Candian Ale I brewed it on the 30th and racked over to the secnodary on the 6th. Recipe said 1 week in primary. The temp is at 66 degrees.
Any advice besides take gravity readings prior to racking over to the secondary.
Yhanks
To Brew

Nope, you just answered your own question.

That is the ONLY way to know for sure if fermentation is complete. Even then, it's not always best to move it to secondary as soon as it hits FG. Read around...a lot of posters here leave beers in primary for two, three, even four weeks. And a lot more, myself included DON'T SECONDARY.

Give it at least two weeks in secondary since it sounds like you still have fermentation going. The good news is that you still have fermentation going on and you didn't stall it by taking it off the yeast cake too soon. It may take a little longer for the remaining yeast to finish it's job but it should get there with a couple more weeks.

No need to cry over split beer --- at this point you've still got beer and its gonna continue to ferment a bit and continue to settle out. You can go 2 or 3 weeks in secondary. Take a reading at 2 week point -- but mainly leave it alone. I tend to cover my carboy to reduce and light (sunlight) affecting the brew. Use an old bath towel

If we can't berate you about using the hydrometer, then how about this:

At least wait for the yeast to flocculate before going to secondary. If you still have krausen or big yeast colonies on the surface then it is probably too early to go to secondary.

If you leave beer alone in the primary for 3 weeks it should be fermented. I would never take a reading before 3 weeks because it needs to condition (clean up after itself) too. A secondary is not needed for an ale.

I don't secondary, most beers don't require it. Anyhow the beer will ferment in the secondary anyhow if the yeast wasn't settled in the cake then it got into the secondary anyhow.
Also, don't assume that because you racked that it wont kick off again, this can be the case with racking as you disturb everything, so a day of activity after racking is common.

Yup, but if you are worried about it, i suggest you box it up in a shipping crate and let me know when it is ready i will PM you my address.

Ship it down under i will ensure it is tested for quality and then disposed of in a biodegradable vessel guaranteed to filter all the nasties out

Latest posts

Back