Going to kegs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_goodwrench

Reaction score
I have been bottling exclusively since I started brewing and have always planned on moving to kegs. Well, now is the time... I have been cruising craigslist since I moved to the Atlanta area and found a restaurant supply company/scrapyard with a bunch of kegs.

Chevy_Tech and I took a drive over there the other day on our lunch break. All they had left were pin locks but since I am just starting to assemble my setup, I didn't really care. We went out and picked through the dozen or so that they had out there and found the 3 best of the lot. Made sure there was some pressure in them and 2 of them actually were full of syrup (still had the plastic caps on the posts.) Got the 3 or them for $75. Not a killer deal, but decent I thought.

Dumped the syrup in the sink at the shop and gave them a soak with Oxyclean when I got them home. Last night I transferred the pale ale that I had in primary for around a month into one. I still have to get to the LHBS for new o-rings... they were closed by the time I made it there yesterday. One keg had a good looking o-rings on it so until I can get to the store, I am going to just RDWHAHB.

Now I need to lay my hands on a tank and regulator. I am trying to do it as inexpensively as possible as I am balancing beer with SWMBO's scrapbooking and daughter's soccer. I thought I had a line on a 20# tank and regulator for $20 apiece and disconnects for $2 each but the ad disappeared from craigslist before I had the opportunity to call.

Be warned - in my first experience with kegs I did not replace my o-rings and ended up with a root-beer-flavoured ale. Not what I had intended. I would suggest that if you haven't already, replace all of those o-rings asap.

B

Oh definitely am going to replace all o-rings quick-like. I really needed to get that pale ale out of that fermenter and I figure that a couple of days should be ok...

Back