Going "smartphone". Options...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cracked1

Reaction score
I think I'm ready to kick my LG enV3 to the curb and finally try a smartphone. I am on Verizon and I am due for an upgrade so some of the cost is reduced but I don't want to still be spending hundreds on a phone that I'm not sure I'll like yet. So, here's the thing... I would like to go with an Android OS. My mother has an extra Motorola Droid 2 that she has barely used just laying around. I can get that one for free, upgrade my data package and not have to worry about another 2 year contract. Like I said, I would rather not spend hundreds if I'm just trying this out so some of the other options that caught my eye are:
Motorola Droid 3 - $149
Motorola Droid X2 - $49
HTC Droid Incredible 2 - $99
HTC Thunderbolt - $99
The only problem with these is that I would have to get a new 2 year contract. Are any of the other smartphones so much better that they are worth the extra cost and contract? Keep in mind that this will just be a trial and I may not even use the phone to its full capabilities. I also don't think I care too much about being 4G LTE capable. I'm only going to go with the 2 gig data plan and won't be streaming video or music too much. I have other devices to do that.

Any thoughts?

I've got the Incredible2 HTC. I dont use it for much (FB, email, a little web browsing, HBT), but have no major issues with it, other than the digital keyboard can be a little pesky at times...

Edit: this is my first smart phone, so have nothing to compare it to...

I just picked up the droid bionic at verizon and love it already. Dual core 1ghz cpu, 1gb ram, dual cameras, 8mp 1080p camera, 4g. It said it was 16gb internal and 16gb sd, but it only has 8 internal. It was only $100 more than the others that had less than half the specs.

I use a Samsung Fascinate, at the onset it was awesome, but as time went by, it got worse and worse. I like the android platform b/c it's open, and you can root your phone and do anything with it as opposed to the closed iphone system. BUT, i'm now considering an iphone after how well i've seen it hold up. My wife dropped hers in a puddle on the street after getting out of my truck quite a bit tipsy last week, and it sat there overnight. After not being able to find it the next morning, we searched outside, and found it frozen in a puddle. I took it inside, blew out the charger port, plugged it in and the damn thing fired up, no problems, and still going strong. The only downside to the iphone I see is Apple and Adobe can't stand each other, so the iphone won't support Flash, and a ton of websites use it. That said, i've heard good things about the new generation of Motorola's.

I use a Samsung Fascinate, at the onset it was awesome, but as time went by, it got worse and worse. I like the android platform b/c it's open, and you can root your phone and do anything with it as opposed to the closed iphone system. BUT, i'm now considering an iphone after how well i've seen it hold up. My wife dropped hers in a puddle on the street after getting out of my truck quite a bit tipsy last week, and it sat there overnight. After not being able to find it the next morning, we searched outside, and found it frozen in a puddle. I took it inside, blew out the charger port, plugged it in and the damn thing fired up, no problems, and still going strong. The only downside to the iphone I see is Apple and Adobe can't stand each other, so the iphone won't support Flash, and a ton of websites use it. That said, i've heard good things about the new generation of Motorola's.

Are you kidding me? The new iPhones with glass on both sides? I've seen those things shatter when dropped from 2 feet up. I have an otterbox on my Samsung Continuum (rooted) and it's amazing.

I'd recommend anything Samsung (SWMBO has the Fascinate.) Big tip: get it at Wal-Mart. I got mine for $28 after tax... some of them cost cents.

Another +1 for Incredible 2. I've had mine for 3 months and I love it.

I might add, I've heard terrible things about the Thunderbolt and battery life. A friend from work is lucky if he gets 12 hours out of his!

My personal phone is an iphone and my work phone is a Motorola Droid X2. I'm not gonna go into a debate over iOS vs. Android - there are things I like each of them and there are things I hate about each of them. I would avoid the X2. I've already replaced mine 3 times under warranty.

One thing I'd say about the iphone in your case is that it would be one less thing for you to carry and you can get rid of your ipod touch.

And regarding the glass iphones, i've always carried mine unprotected. Dropped it a number of times from about counter height onto tile floors and it hasn't broken yet.

I've been using my Milestone X for about a year and love it. There are faster phones out now, but I'd stick with Android if I had to replace it.

Depending on what you wanted it for, I think the FREE phone you have been offered is a smart choice. It's not new, but unless you need a ton of horsepower, it should suffice.

Saving $150 is like having $150 in your pocket for brewing equipment. Think about it!

I like my Republic Wireless service - uses VOIP whenever connected to Wifi and has a very generous backup cell service from Sprint (with Verizon roaming) for $19 a month without contract. It's still in beta and there are some bugs still to work out, but I have been very happy with it.

I had a droid, the first one, if you are not going to watch movies or spend hours on it they are decent phones, they do all the same stuff with just a smaller screen. The battery life is phenomenal compared to the newer larger screen phones. I have an HTC Thunderbolt now. I root all my phones, and get rid of bandwidth and battery wasting garbage, so my battery will last all day but my old Droid could go three days in a row no problem. I agree with saving the extra $$$ for some brewing bling!

I was fully anti-IPhone when the smartphone craze started, I was hardcore Blackberry, being built on a Linux platform. About a year ago, I caved and decided to give the IPhone a try, and love it. Just as fast as out of the box, and with it jailbroken, I get all the apps I want for free. Android has it's pros as well, but I'm just not a fan of the phones they've released with that OS. I'm sure if I could find a phone I liked with the OS, I'd easily be convienced to give it a go, but as of now IPhone gets my vote.

I also think that while you now say "I won't use all the apps, etc, etc.", once you have it in your hands, you'll change your mind.

HIM_Tattoos said:
Android has it's pros as well, but I'm just not a fan of the phones they've released with that OS.

You do realize that Android is linux based, right? And that the huge variety of phones uses anything from android 1.5 to android 4, each of which is a bit different. Hell, you can even root them and make the OS work exactly how you want it to.

For someone who stuck with blackberry for linux you sure jumped ship quickly ;)

I guess you could just stick with one OS and one style of phone until they come out with one slightly different one (and still drops calls like mad) that costs an extra $200 and features buggy built-in apps you can't get rid of like siri because apple is the most closed-source software company on the planet.

Just my $0.02 :D

Saving $150 is like having $150 in your pocket for brewing equipment. Think about it!

That is exactly what's on my mind! I sure would like a pump for my system and that about covers the cost of a March... :mug:

It seems like the smartphone conversation is a bit of a Ford vs Chevy situation. No one will ever be wrong and no one will ever be right. So, I think I'll give the free one a go for awhile and then see if I really want to upgrade or not. That way, for now, I'm out $0.00 (except the data package). I'm thinking that's not a bad deal!

It seems like the smartphone conversation is a bit of a Ford vs Chevy situation.

Well that's a no-brainer.... neither! Toyota!! :D My 1992 4Runner is one of the vehicles that has been deemed "Unkillable." My old girl is about to hit 250,000 and it runs like a champ regardless of conditions. Also it's crazy-easy to fix.

Stirring up debate is fun :D

You do realize that Android is linux based, right? And that the huge variety of phones uses anything from android 1.5 to android 4, each of which is a bit different. Hell, you can even root them and make the OS work exactly how you want it to.

For someone who stuck with blackberry for linux you sure jumped ship quickly ;)

I guess you could just stick with one OS and one style of phone until they come out with one slightly different one (and still drops calls like mad) that costs an extra $200 and features buggy built-in apps you can't get rid of like siri because apple is the most closed-source software company on the planet.

Just my $0.02 :D

Yeah, I realize that the Android OS is built on a Linux platform, but at the time that I purchased my Blackberry, that was my motive for doing so. My motive changed when I purchased my IPhone. And I had that Blackberry for 2 1/2 years, so it's not that I got it and jumped ship right away, just got sick of the constant freezing and shutting down, didn't like any of the Droid phones at the time and went with the IPhone.

I still run Linux on all my computers and will NEVER use anything else, but when it came to smartphones at the time that I purchased, and still IMHO, the IPhone is leader in non-business related smartphones. The market could shift and Droid could put out some sweet things in the future, that's just my opinion at the moment.

You'll quickly learn whether or not you use it much. My wife hardly uses hers, but crackberries don't have many apps. I suspect she'll try something else when the contract is up.

Yeah, I realize that the Android OS is built on a Linux platform, but at the time that I purchased my Blackberry, that was my motive for doing so. My motive changed when I purchased my IPhone. And I had that Blackberry for 2 1/2 years, so it's not that I got it and jumped ship right away, just got sick of the constant freezing and shutting down, didn't like any of the Droid phones at the time and went with the IPhone.

I still run Linux on all my computers and will NEVER use anything else, but when it came to smartphones at the time that I purchased, and still IMHO, the IPhone is leader in non-business related smartphones. The market could shift and Droid could put out some sweet things in the future, that's just my opinion at the moment.

Fair enough, you seem to know what you're talking about.

Do you run ubuntu?

I am not cool. When I got a smartphone I wanted two things. 1. A real live keyboard 2. To be durable and to just friggin work.

So I got a Blackberry Bold with an Otter case and I absolutely love it.

I can't tell you how many people I know with iPhones and Droids that have a ton of issues. My Blackberry never acts up. It isn't cool. It doesn't do as much stupid crap as the others. But what it does do is work. Every single time.

Use the x2 you'll figure out pretty quick if you like. Learn to root. Try different launchers using go now but have tried adw ex, adw and launcher pro and with home switcher makes it easy to flip between until you decide if you like stock or one of the others.
My wife fought against but now couldn't take her thunderbolt if I tried.

Android if you are a computer geek and like to play with low level stuff, or just play with some apps. Iphone generally runs well and has tons of apps without the geekiness of Android.

Can't speak of blackberry, since I've never owned or used one. I know the hardcore guys at work have started switching to droid. There has finally been a lack of cool features and enough problems with the phones to get them to look somewhere else.

The newer, faster droids are better than the older models, which lagged a bit. Of course with all you can do with one, it's up to you to keep it lean and fast.

I see you have Droid 3 on your list. Keep in mind, i believe, the Droid 4 should be out early next month.

You may not be intersted in 4G today but you may be within the next 2 years.

I have a DINC2 that I am happy with.

Fair enough, you seem to know what you're talking about.

Do you run ubuntu?

I ran Ubuntu on my machines from 4.0 thru 10.0 and then I made the switch to Linux Mint to try something new. Kind of a step back in the CLI world as it's much more GUI oriented and user friendly, but I liked a few of the additional options that it supplies, and it makes it easier for my SWMBO to use if she ever needs to. I've also used Fedora Redhat for a while, but just didn't care for it as much as Ubuntu or Mint, kinda drab in my opinion.

I'm not an Apple hater but I definitely prefer my android device to my wife's iphone. Her phone has a slightly sleeker interface but it feels slow and clunky to me since you have one button to navigate with and that usually requires backing out all the way to the home screen. She doesn't mind it.

I have the HTC Thunderbolt. The biggest selling feature is the big screen. I read books through the kindle app on it without feeling like I'm squinting at a tiny screen. Big screen means big phone. It is very wide but it is very thin. My wife calls it the Zack Morris phone for the 21st century.

The big downside is the short battery life, which is partially caused by the size of the screen and partially by the phone going in and out of the spotty 4G network so the phone burns a lot of power trying to connect to 4G whenever you go out of 4G to a 3G area. Some people who use their phones a lot through the day find themselves charging multiple times a day or carrying extra batteries. Personally I don't use my phone so much I have that problem except when I am somewhere the phone can't get into the 4G network and the battery can drain out in 2-3 hours. You can turn off 4G and stop the problem but you don't always realize you're out of network unless you're constantly looking at the phone. I'm sure all other 4G android phones have the same problem. If screen size is not a concern for you then I would go with another phone just for battery life.

HIM_Tattoos said:
I ran Ubuntu on my machines from 4.0 thru 10.0 and then I made the switch to Linux Mint to try something new. Kind of a step back in the CLI world as it's much more GUI oriented and user friendly, but I liked a few of the additional options that it supplies, and it makes it easier for my SWMBO to use if she ever needs to. I've also used Fedora Redhat for a while, but just didn't care for it as much as Ubuntu or Mint, kinda drab in my opinion.

Oh red hat... Good times.

But mint is user friendly linux? Didn't think that existed ;)

Have you decided? And mint is very user friendly, have had my dad using for several years now. I used to have spend lots of time fixing something he messed up on Windows every two weeks or so but now all i have to do is update or install new software he needs.

Decided to go with the free droid. Went through the whole root process and am now starting to play with more settings. Happy with my decision so far!

I saw a coworkers droid phone and was surprised to see so many "pages" that couldn't deleted when on the "home" page and was completely baffled by the seperate "app" screen. What's up with all the pages? It seemed messy kinda like a PC desktop can be. I'm not sure what phone she had or to what degree she fiddled with it or it's settings.

What did you root with? I'm on CyanogenMod and I'm really impressed by it. I'm still using the MyTouch 3g (T-Mobile) that I got almost 2 years ago, which about died when T-Mobile pushed out the FroYo update. The phone couldn't hardly do anything after that, so instead of upgrading I just rooted. That was a little over a year ago, and even though it's still slow (and I can't have many apps), it's working well enough to get by. I'm trying to upgrade brewing stuff, so I'm waiting as long as I can before upgrading :D

I saw a coworkers droid phone and was surprised to see so many "pages" that couldn't deleted when on the "home" page and was completely baffled by the seperate "app" screen. What's up with all the pages? It seemed messy kinda like a PC desktop can be. I'm not sure what phone she had or to what degree she fiddled with it or it's settings.

part of the fun with android is that you can customize the hell out of it. That means some people's phones are disorganized crap, but if you want it nice and neat, you can do it. There are even apps out there that will even let you copy Apple and Windows Phone 7 UI's almost exactly.

That's part of the reason to "root" the phone. It allows you to delete junk that you normaly can't and make things much more streamlined. Although, if anything goes wrong during the root process you can also turn your phone into a paperweight.

What did you root with?

I used the DORoot link through xdadevelopers. Seems to be working out pretty well. I don't have too much experience with other phones or root methods so take that for what it's worth...

arrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhh.....

As much As I HATES me some apple to apple interaction, (my PC based mp3 player slaps itunes around like an ipod never could) but as far as user friendly YOU can't beat apple.

Last time my PC based mp3 player crashed, I said "OH Yeah! that's why I will never own a PC again!"

The only people I know "in the know" who honestly like PC's better, just like fixing them. Kinda like motor heads and their cars.

Knock yourselves out.

Smartphone? Iphone.

Just don't let it talk to your mac or ipad, they will get a little too cosy.

It seems like the smartphone conversation is a bit of a Ford vs Chevy situation. No one will ever be wrong and no one will ever be right. So, I think I'll give the free one a go for awhile and then see if I really want to upgrade or not. That way, for now, I'm out $0.00 (except the data package). I'm thinking that's not a bad deal!

Yep - everyone thinks their phone is the best. Since you are set on the Droid OS, you have two options. Take the free phone, or re-sign to a new year contract.

But you already said you don't want to sign up for a two year contract and get re-locked in. And you aren't planning to use much functionality of the phone. So that is an easy choice to use the free phone you have available.

BTW - Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango) Samsung Focus. Great phone. Even my buddy who hates all things MSFT now has one and loves the interface.

I'm not an Apple hater but I definitely prefer my android device to my wife's iphone. Her phone has a slightly sleeker interface but it feels slow and clunky to me since you have one button to navigate with and that usually requires backing out all the way to the home screen. She doesn't mind it.

Um, that's not really how the navigation works. Yes, the home button takes you back to the home screen, but the whole screen is a button used for navigation. Maybe you mean something else?

As for the fragility, I've dropped my iPhone plenty of times to no ill effect. I dropped it into a running bathtub and after it dried out in a bag of rice for a day it worked fine.

I did break one, but I accidentally threw it point blank at some asphalt (long story).

arrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhh.....

As much As I HATES me some apple to apple interaction, (my PC based mp3 player slaps itunes around like an ipod never could) but as far as user friendly YOU can't beat apple.

Last time my PC based mp3 player crashed, I said "OH Yeah! that's why I will never own a PC again!"

The only people I know "in the know" who honestly like PC's better, just like fixing them. Kinda like motor heads and their cars.

Knock yourselves out.

Smartphone? Iphone.

Just don't let it talk to your mac or ipad, they will get a little too cosy.

iPhone has a great UI, but until they allow it to expand to different hardware and let unapproved apps it's a deal breaker for me.

Build quality and easy of use go to apple over almost any android device any day of the week, I gave my mom and iPhone for Christmas last year and she can use it no problem. If i let her get an android, she's be calling me every other day.

My recommendation always depends on the person....
Tech Savvy -> Android
technophobia -> Apple

Lancer033 said:
My recommendation always depends on the person....
Tech Savvy -> Android
technophobia -> Apple

Some might say it a little differently.

Geek who wants to mess with **** -> android
Dude who just wants something simple that just works -> iPhone

Some might say it a little differently.

Geek who wants to mess with **** -> android
Dude who just wants something simple that just works -> iPhone

Fun thing is that android fills both those categories.

Android:
- PROS -- Easy to manipulate to your will, cheaper, works just fine, supports flash, most apps are free
- CONS -- UI isn't as super smooth, not as many apps (not by much anymore)
- Suitable for: techies, average joe, the feverishly anti-Apple

iPhone:
- PROS -- Well built (though I've heard otherwise due to glass screens), UI is smooth, accessories out the wazzoo, large app store
- CONS -- Rigid software, crazy expensive, can't hold a call (my friends with iPhones only ever gets texts... calling is a pain)
- Suitable for: average joe, hipsters, brahs

P.S. This was only kinda biased :D :D

Latest posts

Back