Going Chrome OS - Abandoning Windows 8 and the PC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beersmith works outside the browser,except for the cloud thing in the bottom window. Works on Google chrome so far.

Thanks! Looks like I'll be making the switch. I really don't use my PC anymore for anything besides browsing and BeerSmith so no need to deal with the hassle of windows 8. Will be checking out malt.io.

Cheers

But don't trust anyone but yourself for your data.

That is what I was going to say. Your pictures and data are only important to you so don't trust anyone to keep them safe.
I have gone a step further.... I keep one laptop for taxes that I can hook to Internet if needed, has vista I think. I also keep one server that stores and streams all our movies, music, pictures and of course runs Light ORama for the Christmas lights. Everything else is done on my Note 3 and before that a Motorola Photon with a dock for a bigger screen. Pretty much anything I can think of to do I can get accomplished on my phone.

The whole paranoid security thing with cloud storage has me thinking about doing my own cloud....

.... I'm not paranoid, but its something to geek out on DIY.

I saw on life hacker instructions how to make your own dropbox with a solid state gig drive and a Raspberry Pi. It has me looking into domains and web hosting. WTF - I thought I would never do that...

Here are three articles that I found interesting... starting with security, doing your own cloud, then your own dropbox;

http://lifehacker.com/the-best-cloud-storage-services-that-protect-your-priva-729639300/all

http://lifehacker.com/5993596/how-t...storage-service-in-five-minutes-with-owncloud

http://lifehacker.com/5955727/roll-your-own-dropbox-clone-with-a-raspberry-pi/all

Well, here we go again. Clicked on an e-mail from a "clerk to courts"...that should've been my 1st clue. It's "clerk of courts". Turned out to be the same dang unpublished flash player update that pops in on a couple sites I frequent telling me I need to update. Even their own site gives this fake one! It's loaded with a regenerating trojan. My new antivirus took out some 13 of them all over the hard drive. But the little flashplayerupdate window keeps popping in. You can't cancel it or "X" out. It just pops right back in & darkens the rest of the screen. Then it brings up the little window to choose an internet connection which is also fake, as my connection is on & running. I use google chrome But one instance of the trojan came through IE5? I've searched the memory addresses in the update window & the computer can find them no matter how or where I search. Even if it's flashing in the lower tool bar of the browser! I'm now in safe mode with networking till I find it. I could use some ideas on finding this hacker crap & giving it das boot!

Well, here we go again. Clicked on an e-mail from a "clerk to courts"...that should've been my 1st clue. It's "clerk of courts". Turned out to be the same dang unpublished flash player update that pops in on a couple sites I frequent telling me I need to update. Even their own site gives this fake one! It's loaded with a regenerating trojan. My new antivirus took out some 13 of them all over the hard drive. But the little flashplayerupdate window keeps popping in. You can't cancel it or "X" out. It just pops right back in & darkens the rest of the screen. Then it brings up the little window to choose an internet connection which is also fake, as my connection is on & running. I use google chrome But one instance of the trojan came through IE5? I've searched the memory addresses in the update window & the computer can find them no matter how or where I search. Even if it's flashing in the lower tool bar of the browser! I'm now in safe mode with networking till I find it. I could use some ideas on finding this hacker crap & giving it das boot!

Sounds like you are due for a reformat and fresh OS install. Back up your files and wipe that puppy.

Had my best luck downloading latest MALWAYRE BYTES on another safe computer to pen drive; boot infected PC to safe mode no nothing; install malwarebytes; run; boot to regular mode and run again.

The problem is, after taking out some 13 trojans, it still brings up the fake flash player update window & the window to choose an internet connection, even though my connection is on & running fully. Can't find them anywhere, not even unhiding folders. They keep changing the memory location in the fake flash player update window as well. I don't have a couple terrabyte drive to load my stuff into nor am I in the near future. And that damn "ping" thing going off like morse code....:drunk: I made a stupid mistake, thinking I had an e-mail about my dead cousin's estate. Turned out to be the fake flash player update. Dammit, I feel so dang stupid right now.

A friend of mine had this same issue, I used Malwarebytes and booted into safe mode as described above. The key is to boot in Safe Mode without Network Enabled.

I have OMG antivirus now. It works pretty good, but won't work in safe modes? I decided to call Computer Crisis again & have him wipe the system when I can afford it. That'll depend on how much it costs to do. He has large disc drives & whatnot to save my personal files before wiping it. This guy's hidden himself too well. I've searched the whole computer since Saturday. He'll have to download all the windows updates, etc. But I think this'll be the only way to rid myself of this hacker crap. Reminds me of Jurassic Park, " Please! Goddammit, I hate this hacker crap"! :mad:

Thanks for the thought. Just like my Probe, the one genius with these cars is a few states away. One lil friggin' mistake. Geez. Haven't some people got anything better to do? I was watching the files whizz by on the virus scanner yesterday, And saw a couple like windows\system32 blah blah fat f*** thinks he...& file delete, & such. Sheez, what...somebody hates me for writing a book on home brewing? Or my sci-fi books? Or they couldn't handle the truth of one of my replies? Or that I got picked for that brew & a: thing? Or my dead cousin's estate? Money does change everything they say, but dang! I can't imagine what I did to deserve this??? I should've bottled my beer by Sunday, & I'm busy fighting with this crap while I figure out how to fix it? Need a few hundred for computer guy to do it. Dammitdammitdammitdammitdammit!:mad:

If you are interested, I could maybe figure up a time to remote in and have a look. I think Malwarebytes does a great job for what it's meant for, but sometimes there are remnants left behind, especially in browser settings that can cause continuing problems. They aren't usually very hard to clean up if you know where to look.

I appreciate the help, but I called Computer Crisis & he can wipe the hard drive & reinstall everything for $125-$175. Gonna take it to him & git-r-done. So I maybe not be on for a week or so, unless I can get on my wife's new laptop. I just hope this Belkin router didn't have a disc, as I can't find it? Not to mention, hoping I can just leave it & the modem running minus my connection? We'll see. So be careful of the flash player update site, as it's corrupted. And watch those E-mails for legal or official-seeming ones, like any "clerk to courts" bs. It's "Clerk OF courts" btw. And usually hard copy in the mail. I wish I'd have thought of that sooner. Live & learn. Never get to comfortable with your system these days. Take care y'all & see you when I can. :mug:

Dang! I should start charging people to do that kind of thing! I usually only charge about $40 for non "friends 'n family". I guess if I had to make a living at it, I'd have to charge about that much.

Your router will be fine without your computer. You can easily log back into later to make config. changes, but you should have the IP address, Login Name, and Password wrote down if it isn't already.

Dang! I should start charging people to do that kind of thing! I usually only charge about $40 for non "friends 'n family". I guess if I had to make a living at it, I'd have to charge about that much.

Your router will be fine without your computer. You can easily log back into later to make config. changes, but you should have the IP address, Login Name, and Password wrote down if it isn't already.

There's a little pasteboard thing in the base of the router with that info on it. I hope that's all I need. On wife's laptop for the moment. I & she don't know how to "right click" with this darn mouse finger pad thingy. But it'll be great to have everything working again!

I'll have to try that. Computer Crisis called earlier & said my virus problems are pretty common to XP & Vista systems. Upgrading to windows 7 he says will negate many of those problems I'm having. Just gonna cost double, with all the hacker crap he had to take out first. But at least all my documents/files will transfer for my books & BS2. At least my usual problems will be over & done with. Might take till the 31st to pay for it all though...:eek:

Well. everything's finally getting back to normal! My son & I picked up his guardsman blue '04, 40th anniversary Mustang GT yesterday. Got home too late to get the computer back till today. Had to do some windows 7 set up. Quick, but a little different than the older vista premium. Now I can get back on my home brewing book & finish that up any day here. God, is it great to have my desk top comp back again! Computer crisis even installed some better anti-malware & an anti-spy bot program as well. Even the mouse movement is less "loose" feeling.

Well, I had to restore the system to a couple days ago. Too many anti-virus/malware programs running at once. Now I can't get the spell checker to work again? Hard to edit/proof read my books without it? I can't find how to turn it on again??

I got 2 Chromebooks for my kids for Christmas last year. They LOVE them and they do most of the stuff they want. It's nice that they can't screw them up that bad and even if they do, it's a reset. Storing stuff in the cloud makes it really easy for them when they forget to print something at home, but they can get to it from their phone or school computers. I highly recommend it.

I managed to fix it. Had to turn on auto-spell checker in a couple of places & I'd turned off the comp to go vote, etc. so it seems the system must be reset after the mods to get them to work. Whew...

Well, so much for that! Spent the whole friggin' day since 7:38AM trying to get the computer to finish start boot up. Dammit, if I'd have just run that new spyware/malware/virus scanner Computer Crisis put in when they fixed it, I'd have been done by lunchtime. MFKR attacked the start up boot routine & some new hiding places. But this new program even scans zipped files, zip archives & every other nook & cranny. It was totally worth the 2:45 it took to run, even with it's speed booster turned on. I'd have gotten it half price if I'd have paid for it first. Oh well, at least problem solved. I can get back to book 2 of my series tomorrow at least. :mug:

Well, so much for that! Spent the whole friggin' day since 7:38AM trying to get the computer to finish start boot up. Dammit, if I'd have just run that new spyware/malware/virus scanner Computer Crisis put in when they fixed it, I'd have been done by lunchtime. MFKR attacked the start up boot routine & some new hiding places. But this new program even scans zipped files, zip archives & every other nook & cranny. It was totally worth the 2:45 it took to run, even with it's speed booster turned on. I'd have gotten it half price if I'd have paid for it first. Oh well, at least problem solved. I can get back to book 2 of my series tomorrow at least. :mug:

Jeesh union, with all the pc troubles you've had over the past week, maybe you should get a chromebook too. 5 second boot up and no 3 hr virus scans.

Ah, dang hackers had nothing better to do than infest the sites kids & younger folks go to. The last repair a couple weeks ago cost me $425! & he didn't even sign me up with even one of the 5 or so scanners he installed. Not to mention re-associating file documents with their related programs. I took too long getting to the one I was most impressed by at the end of a long day of fixing things manually. The startup boot wouldn't finish running & get to the choose desktop screen. Dammit! It almost hung up again this morning. What I need to do is get one of those zillion GHz computers with the 6 terabyte hard drive all for myself & give the kids this Gateway. I like Gateway computers, as they're bastardized frankensteins with parts from everyone. Easy to mod.

Well, here's another interesting development. I thought it was stalling out on the "starting windows" screen. Today, I decided to be just as stubborn. After 23 minutes, it finished starting boot up & worked normally. But still having problems with disc drive driver & restore point stuff. Dang thing works too slow on downloads, boot up & the like...?...

Well, here's another interesting development. I thought it was stalling out on the "starting windows" screen. Today, I decided to be just as stubborn. After 23 minutes, it finished starting boot up & worked normally. But still having problems with disc drive driver & restore point stuff. Dang thing works too slow on downloads, boot up & the like...?...

Sounds like you need to wipe and start all over.

Have you tried looking at Linux?

Http://www.renewablepcs.com

In general you can down load an iso, then, burn an iso disc, boot from it and select a partition. Start anew....

You can use a CD, DVD and USB flash memory to burn too. USB is the easiest.

I have tried ubuntu, lubuntu, fedora and puppy linux. I like lubuntu the best so far it seems to be the fastest of the ones I have tried. I have strongly considered mint too.I have two old HP pavilion pc's with 1G memory 1.33 or 1.25 GHrtz. Both work like new.

I also have a chrome book and chrome box. Both are my preferred machines to use day in and day out. That said I will never buy a pc with a Micro$oft operating system again.

BTW - Chrome is a Linux based OS as is Android.

Since spring, I've spent some $800 fixing this thing. I just paid $425 this month to get that total. I got the whole system wiped & installed windows 7 so I could still use my old files for my books, videos, pics, etc. So n0w I'm broke, no money for heating, running out of sigs, but bills paid for the moment. I took out nearly 1 gig of old security scanners, browsers, etc. It took 23 minutes yesterday to get through the starting windows screen, but after cleaning things out between me & my boys desktops, I got it to boot in 2 minutes this morning. Wanna get a new tower & bigger monitor this tax time. May try a different system? But would these other systems you mention work with youtube uploads, open office, etc?

My household has been 100% Linux since 1996. I was a Linux systems administrator/programmer at Google, but SWMBO still asks how to use the TV remote after 10 years, and she has no problem using Linux. In many cases you wouldn't know you weren't using Windows, except it runs smooth, fast, and doesn't crash.

Might have to look a bit to find a new tower with linux in it. I hate to buy one filled with what I don't want & have to spend more replacing it.

Back