Going All-Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasenRendon

Reaction score
Hello all, I am recently new to these forums but have been reading for a while. Seems to have a lot of great information on here!
I have been doing extract brewing for a few years and want to get into All-Grain. I just recently got a Kegerator as well as a ball lock corny keg and would like to put some All-Grain brew into It. What exactly should I look for as far as equipment when making this change? I currently have 2 plastic fermenting buckets, a 6.5 gallon glass carboy, and a 5 gallon glass carboy. I'd like to do 10 gallon batches. I see a lot of the plastic igloo mash tuns, what is everyone's experience with these? I actually have one of those in the garage and have seen instructions on how to convert one of them. Would this be a good option?
Just hoping to get some precise instructions on where to start my conversion.
Look forward to everyone's advice!

When I transitioned to all grain, I started doing 5 gallon batches but quickly jumped up to 10 gallons. My first mash tun was a 10 gallon round beverage cooler which worked well, but limited my grain bill to about 24 lbs. I used that for a while, but if I wanted an OG higher than about 1.052, I needed to boost it with extract, corn/cane sugar, or drop down to a 5 gallon batch. I used the round cooler mash tun for a couple years, but upgraded to a 70 qt rectangular cooler and it's been great. At the bottom of my cooler I have a copper manifold, but you could use a bazooka tube, brew bag, CPVC manifold, etc. So that's a long way of me trying to say: think about what you like to brew (OG range-wise) and size your cooler accordingly. I wouldn't go smaller than 15 gallons though.

As for your kettle, I wouldn't go any smaller than 15 gallons or you'll run into boil over issues (fermcap is your friend!)

Make sure you get a burner big enough to boil your 10 gallon batches. The 10-inch banjo style burner is what you want (bayou classic, blichmann, edelmetal, anvil, whatever you want to pay for). They're fuel efficient and quiet, I get about 4 brews out of a 20lb propane tank on my bayou classic KAB6.

The fermenters you have are fine for now, you don't necessarily have to ferment the whole batch in one vessel. You have plenty of other investments starting all grain, so this is one piece of equipment you can wait to upgrade.

Have you looked into BIAB? if you have everything for extract you may just need to buy a bag to get started!

Actually I have thought about this, what pot size would be recommended for this? I have read it's best to use a propane burner for this process, I might still have one of those. Definitely worth the try before investing more money.
Thanks for the help :)

I use a similar mash tun and I think it works great, you would just need a false bottom for it.
Good luck and happy brewing :tank:

When I transitioned to all grain, I started doing 5 gallon batches but quickly jumped up to 10 gallons. My first mash tun was a 10 gallon round beverage cooler which worked well, but limited my grain bill to about 24 lbs. I used that for a while, but if I wanted an OG higher than about 1.052, I needed to boost it with extract, corn/cane sugar, or drop down to a 5 gallon batch. I used the round cooler mash tun for a couple years, but upgraded to a 70 qt rectangular cooler and it's been great. At the bottom of my cooler I have a copper manifold, but you could use a bazooka tube, brew bag, CPVC manifold, etc. So that's a long way of me trying to say: think about what you like to brew (OG range-wise) and size your cooler accordingly. I wouldn't go smaller than 15 gallons though.

As for your kettle, I wouldn't go any smaller than 15 gallons or you'll run into boil over issues (fermcap is your friend!)

Make sure you get a burner big enough to boil your 10 gallon batches. The 10-inch banjo style burner is what you want (bayou classic, blichmann, edelmetal, anvil, whatever you want to pay for). They're fuel efficient and quiet, I get about 4 brews out of a 20lb propane tank on my bayou classic KAB6.

The fermenters you have are fine for now, you don't necessarily have to ferment the whole batch in one vessel. You have plenty of other investments starting all grain, so this is one piece of equipment you can wait to upgrade.

Great advice, I'll have to look into this equipment. I have read a lot on all-grain, but it is nice to read a detailed description for equipment. I think my first step is to get a 15 gallon kettle as well as a propane burner.

Actually I have thought about this, what pot size would be recommended for this? I have read it's best to use a propane burner for this process, I might still have one of those. Definitely worth the try before investing more money.
Thanks for the help :)

No problem, Depends on the batch size you want to make. I use a 10 gallon pot to make 5 gallon batches, sometimes I wish I had gone with a 15 gallon, but you could get away with an 8 gallon for some beers, and you could always do a mini sparge to make up any volume issues. Some brewers do 2.5 gallon or 3 gallon batches.

I use a propane burner bud I have done small 2.5 and 1 gallon BIAB batches on my kitchen stove all depends what your batch size is.

BIAB is great you get to make AG beer, and have far less equipment to clean at the end of brewday!:ban:

If you want to do 10 gallon batches you will need a bigger than 10 gallon pot,and/or mash tun.

There are a lot of ways to go. But you will have to go big if you do 10 gallons. For BIAB I would think a 20 gallon pot at a minimum, and you will probably want to rig a hoist system to remove the grain bag.

I would also suggest you get a grain mill to crush your grain yourself.

Personally I like 5 gallon batches. I prefer to brew a little more often, though I am in a slump now, and have more different beers on hand. Like having a 5 gallon IPA and another 5 gallon stout rather than 10 gallons of stout.

If you want to do 10 gallon batches you will need a bigger than 10 gallon pot,and/or mash tun.

There are a lot of ways to go. But you will have to go big if you do 10 gallons. For BIAB I would think a 20 gallon pot at a minimum, and you will probably want to rig a hoist system to remove the grain bag.

I would also suggest you get a grain mill to crush your grain yourself.

Personally I like 5 gallon batches. I prefer to brew a little more often, though I am in a slump now, and have more different beers on hand. Like having a 5 gallon IPA and another 5 gallon stout rather than 10 gallons of stout.

As of now I have enjoyed making 5 gallon batches. For the most part, they have lasted long enough. 10 gallons of one beer might get old. I guess I'll look towards maybe a 10 gallon or 15 gallon kettle and try BIAB before going with other equipment. Thank you.

No problem, Depends on the batch size you want to make. I use a 10 gallon pot to make 5 gallon batches, sometimes I wish I had gone with a 15 gallon, but you could get away with an 8 gallon for some beers, and you could always do a mini sparge to make up any volume issues. Some brewers do 2.5 gallon or 3 gallon batches.

I use a propane burner bud I have done small 2.5 and 1 gallon BIAB batches on my kitchen stove all depends what your batch size is.

BIAB is great you get to make AG beer, and have far less equipment to clean at the end of brewday!:ban:

Yeah I like the idea of starting with BIAB. Have you noticed any limitations with it? Do you just follow normal all-grain recipes when you do a 5 gallon batch?

Yeah I like the idea of starting with BIAB. Have you noticed any limitations with it? Do you just follow normal all-grain recipes when you do a 5 gallon batch?

I haven't had an limitations and could use normal AG recipes once I got my efficiency above 70%. With BIAB, make sure your grain is double crushed, and make sure you treat your water (I buy reverse osmosis water from a vending machine and follow these instructions - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=198460 ). Water is key for mash PH since you're mashing with the full volume.

You can always add a little more 2-row or have some DME on hand to meet your gravity in case efficiency isn't great on your first try.

I seem to be one of the few around here that dislikes doing BIAB. Partially because I set up for HLT, MT, BK before trying BIAB. I don't like dealing with the hot, wet, sticky, messy bag of grain. BIABers may be using different bag material than me, I use 5 gallon paint strainer bags for 3 gallon batches and find it to be a PITA to clean. With my 10 gallon water cooler mashtun I just take it to my compost pile and dump it, then rinse with a hose and it is clean in less than a couple of minutes.

My Hot liquor tank is a 10 gallon pot on a turkey fryer burner, it drains into the 10 gallon water cooler mash tun, and that drains into my 10 gallon boil kettle that is high enough to drain into my fermenters.

Only limit is your imagination! I have been doing BIAB for 4-5 years now and have brewed any beer I set my sights to brew. Sometimes on bigger beers I wish I had a 15 gallon kettle, but I usually just do a mini sparge by pouring water through the bag and draining it into a bucket. I have made beers close to 9%ABV this way and could probably go a bit higher, but not much.

If I were to buy ay equipment today I would buy a 15 gallon kettle.

I don't use a pulley system I pull the bag by hand and hold it while it drips, then move to a strainer over a bucket to finish dripping as I bring my wort to a boil. I will tell you wet grain is heavy and I an a young guy who is pretty strong so this isn't a problem. If you can't pull and hold 30+ pounds of wet grain you may want to figure out a pulley.

I seem to be one of the few around here that dislikes doing BIAB. Partially because I set up for HLT, MT, BK before trying BIAB. I don't like dealing with the hot, wet, sticky, messy bag of grain. BIABers may be using different bag material than me, I use 5 gallon paint strainer bags for 3 gallon batches and find it to be a PITA to clean. With my 10 gallon water cooler mashtun I just take it to my compost pile and dump it, then rinse with a hose and it is clean in less than a couple of minutes.

My Hot liquor tank is a 10 gallon pot on a turkey fryer burner, it drains into the 10 gallon water cooler mash tun, and that drains into my 10 gallon boil kettle that is high enough to drain into my fermenters.

After hearing the gripes about paint strainer bags, I started out with a Wilserbrew bag and it was one of the best purchases ever. It has a little pully, drains well, and after a twist and squeeze with some silicone grill gloves I'm good to go. I think a good bag makes a world of difference.

I'm lazy I dump the bag spray it with the hose a bit, then I throw it in my washing machine and run with hot water and NO DETERGENT!!:rockin:

Last edited by a moderator:
That one is nice I use a 10 gallon SS stock pot off amazon, no valves no temp gauges, just a big stainless pot. I've seen some nice ones at restaurant supply stores as well.

Perfect, looks like I'll order this and update you guys on how my first BIAB goes!

As for your kettle, I wouldn't go any smaller than 15 gallons or you'll run into boil over issues.....

Hate say it but I would go bigger than 15 for a 10 gallon batch. I have 15 gallon kettles and it is a full house mashing in for a big IPA...then once you're boiling, like @Unviewtiful says, your wort is going to be damn near the top (regardless of what your grainbill was). I boil-off and lose to lines/chiller so much that I typically have to boil 14.25 gallons of wort to get 5.5 gallon of beer in each fermenter leading to 5 gallons even in each keg (if I dont' want to top off the fermenters with additional water, that is).

If I could go back on my big system I would have (2) 20 gallon kettles (MT and BK) and a 15 for hot liquor.

Hate say it but I would go bigger than 15 for a 10 gallon batch. I have 15 gallon kettles and it is a full house mashing in for a big IPA...then once you're boiling, like @Unviewtiful says, your wort is going to be damn near the top (regardless of what your grainbill was). I boil-off and lose to lines/chiller so much that I typically have to boil 14.25 gallons of wort to get 5.5 gallon of beer in each fermenter leading to 5 gallons even in each keg (if I dont' want to top off the fermenters with additional water, that is).

If I could go back on my big system I would have (2) 20 gallon kettles (MT and BK) and a 15 for hot liquor.

I'm looking at some 20 gallon kettles now, any ideas on where to find a propane burner or any type of burner for it?

As of now I have enjoyed making 5 gallon batches. For the most part, they have lasted long enough. 10 gallons of one beer might get old. I guess I'll look towards maybe a 10 gallon or 15 gallon kettle and try BIAB before going with other equipment. Thank you.

every situation is different, but 10 gallon batches have no appeal for me. I like having several different varieties available, and i can actually carry and move 5 gallon containers, so I can mash on the kitchen stove if I want, or in the laundry room. I can boil in the garage or outside. I can chill in the laundry room or in the driveway. I can ferment wherever is convenient depending on temperature.

every situation is different, but 10 gallon batches have no appeal for me. I like having several different varieties available, and i can actually carry and move 5 gallon containers, so I can mash on the kitchen stove if I want, or in the laundry room. I can boil in the garage or outside. I can chill in the laundry room or in the driveway. I can ferment wherever is convenient depending on temperature.

I agree, right now I do 5 gallon PM brewing on my stove. I'm looking at new kettles, a 20 gallon kettle is only $13 more than a 15 gallon. If I was to do 5 gallon batches BIAB in a 20 gallon kettle on my stove would there be any issues for now? Eventually I may like to move outside and have larger batches, but for the time being, I'm wondering if that would work.

Would you guys recommend getting a kettle that has measurement markings on the inside for it? I'm seeing some without, wondering how I'd measure without..

Would you guys recommend getting a kettle that has measurement markings on the inside for it? I'm seeing some without, wondering how I'd measure without..

I filled my kettle with measured water and marked a metal yard stick with graduations TBH I rarely use it though I measure my strike water and eyeball everything else..

As for propane if you can do a full volume boil on your stove that will work fine, I can't my old gas stove would take forever to barely get to a simmer with that much wort, I bought a cheap propane camping burner from target.
This is what I use

I filled my kettle with measured water and marked a metal yard stick with graduations TBH I rarely use it though I measure my strike water and eyeball everything else..

As for propane if you can do a full volume boil on your stove that will work fine, I can't my old gas stove would take forever to barely get to a simmer with that much wort, I bought a cheap propane camping burner from target.

This is what I use

looks perfect, ordering that soon! Also, good idea for measuring water. I'll probably end up doing that as well.

Some issues you may run into doing a 5 gallon BIAB in a 20 gallon pot would be boil off and cooling the wort. You would have more liquid surface for evaporation to happen. Also, if using a wort chiller, it may not submerge all the way into the liquid in a 20 gallon pot. I use a 10 gallon pot for 5 gallon BIAB batches. This is the pot i purchased. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PZBEKE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20.
Yes, it is aluminum and inexpensive, but not cheaply made. I heat mash water on stove and boil on propane burner. You can always upgrade bigger down the road, but it sure might be hard to scale back when you are stuck with a 20 gallon pot, only making 5 gallon batches

Don't worry about this.

The easy way is to pout water into your kettle 1 gallon at a time, then put a long stick into the kettle and make markings on the stick. Then use the stick to check the volume.

The better way is to etch the markings onto the kettle yourself. It can be done in under an hour with salt, vinegar, a cotton bud, 9 volt battery and 2 pieces of wire. There's a good thread on here somewhere, search for "homebrew kettle etching" and you should find it. I etched one of mine and it came out great, planning to do my other kettles this weekend.

Don't worry about this.

The easy way is to pout water into your kettle 1 gallon at a time, then put a long stick into the kettle and make markings on the stick. Then use the stick to check the volume.

The better way is to etch the markings onto the kettle yourself. It can be done in under an hour with salt, vinegar, a cotton bud, 9 volt battery and 2 pieces of wire. There's a good thread on here somewhere, search for "homebrew kettle etching" and you should find it. I etched one of mine and it came out great, planning to do my other kettles this weekend.

Interesting, I'll definitely look into that. Thank you!

I clip a stainless steel ruler to the side of my pot and started using this website to figure my volumes. The problem was I preferred using mm on the ruler instead of always having to figure fractions in my head, but wanted the output to be figured in gallons so I made my own spreadsheet.

Do any of you purchase these to filter out after boil? Have been reading a lot about them clogging. Ready to pull the trigger on a 16 gallon kettle, but want to make sure I have everything I need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ISY2DC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I don't use that. I only use pellet hops in my kettle and they swim free. I am playing with Norcal's hop blocker to try to gather them back up post boil but really I've not had any issue just sending them into the fermenter along with the wort.

I am pretty careful with my measurements. I use a sight glass on both my boil kettle and HLT. Got the weldless one from Bobby M. If you know your gravity and volume going into the boil kettle it is easy to calculate the boil off needed to hit target gravity. Having the site glass give me accuracy to about 1/10 of a gallon in my 15 gallon kettle.

Do any of you purchase these to filter out after boil? Have been reading a lot about them clogging. Ready to pull the trigger on a 16 gallon kettle, but want to make sure I have everything I need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ISY2DC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I usually send everything to the fermentor and let it sort it out unless I know I am going to want to harvest the yeast. Then I will put a paint strainer bag in my fermentor, pour in the wort and pull out the bag.

Some issues you may run into doing a 5 gallon BIAB in a 20 gallon pot would be boil off and cooling the wort. You would have more liquid surface for evaporation to happen. Also, if using a wort chiller, it may not submerge all the way into the liquid in a 20 gallon pot. I use a 10 gallon pot for 5 gallon BIAB batches. This is the pot i purchased. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PZBEKE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20.
Yes, it is aluminum and inexpensive, but not cheaply made. I heat mash water on stove and boil on propane burner. You can always upgrade bigger down the road, but it sure might be hard to scale back when you are stuck with a 20 gallon pot, only making 5 gallon batches

I think I'll be purchasing the 15 gallon one. Any advice on using and care for it? I have read to boil water before using? Is this every time? Or just the first time?

I think I'll be purchasing the 15 gallon one. Any advice on using and care for it? I have read to boil water before using? Is this every time? Or just the first time?

Just the first time. If all you need is to create the oxide layer, you can just put a couple gallons in, put on the lid, and boil for 30 minutes or so. The steam oxidizes just fine.

If you are wanting to find your boil off rate, you want to start off with about 7 gallons and measure how much is left after 30 minutes, then double to figure for an hour.

Just the first time. If all you need is to create the oxide layer, you can just put a couple gallons in, put on the lid, and boil for 30 minutes or so. The steam oxidizes just fine.

If you are wanting to find your boil off rate, you want to start off with about 7 gallons and measure how much is left after 30 minutes, then double to figure for an hour.

Thank you! Will be sure to do that.

Have you considered The Grainfather - Electric All Grain Brewing System (120V)?

or better yet,

A Grainfather With the New Connect Controller?

Grainfather_With_New_Connect_Controller.png

looks perfect, ordering that soon! Also, good idea for measuring water. I'll probably end up doing that as well.

Before you get into buying more equipment, I'd recommend buying a cheap paint strainer bag (from Ace Hardware) and giving biab a go with the equipment you already have. See if that's what you want to do before buying a bigger vessel. I'm not a fan. It doesn't suit my "hobby needs". Lol!

I use a round 10g cooler for a tun, and I frequently make 10g batches. I ditched the false bottom and use a big bag in the cooler. Never happier, and it's somewhat similar to biab. Like a hybrid I guess. Plus, I can get more grain in there and mill finer... and hit a higher efficiency and abv. Just dump the bag when done, turn it inside out and spray it down with the hose or in a slop sink. Takes an extra 2 minutes, and way less time than removing a false bottom to clean.

Again, try some different methods with your equipment now before you sink more money into gear you later on may not want or need.

:mug:

Before you get into buying more equipment, I'd recommend buying a cheap paint strainer bag (from Ace Hardware) and giving biab a go with the equipment you already have. See if that's what you want to do before buying a bigger vessel. I'm not a fan. It doesn't suit my "hobby needs". Lol!

I use a round 10g cooler for a tun, and I frequently make 10g batches. I ditched the false bottom and use a big bag in the cooler. Never happier, and it's somewhat similar to biab. Like a hybrid I guess. Plus, I can get more grain in there and mill finer... and hit a higher efficiency and abv. Just dump the bag when done, turn it inside out and spray it down with the hose or in a slop sink. Takes an extra 2 minutes, and way less time than removing a false bottom to clean.

Again, try some different methods with your equipment now before you sink more money into gear you later on may not want or need.

:mug:

I agree, but I think I might as well start with a bigger kettle. The one I currently have is just enough to do 2.5 gallon partial mashes. Would like to start doing full boils and seeing if I have any improvements.

Back