Going all-grain.. extra brew pot as mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthmeffy

Reaction score
I'm looking to go all-grain. I currently have a aluminum 6 gallon brew pot that I've been using for extract brews. My original plan was to grab a 10 gallon aluminum pot and a 10 gallon round cooler for my kettle and mash tun and use my original 6 gallon pot to heat sparge water (for batch sparge).

Well, today a wrench may have been thrown into that original plan. I was just gifted 10 and 15 aluminum gallon pots, one of each. So, to save myself a fair amount of money, would there be major complications in using the 10 gallon pot as a mash tun and just maintain the the temperature directly? I know that may be a bit of a pain.

I think I'm having problems with your math. If someone obviated the need for you to buy a HLT and a much more practical BK, why not put the "found money" into a new cooler MLT if that's what you'd prefer? I'd retire the 6 gallon vessel as it's not very practical for anything when doing 5 gallon all-grain brews, use the 15 g as your BK and the 10 gallon as your HLT, and pick up a cooler to build your MLT...

Cheers!

I'd still go with the round igloo mash tun. It will be easier to use...just heat, dump, mix, and wait....with no chance of scorching. Once you dial in your process to hit the desired temps the igloo holds them extremely well.

I think I'm having problems with your math. If someone obviated the need for you to buy a HLT and a much more practical BK, why not put the "found money" into a new cooler MLT if that's what you'd prefer? I'd retire the 6 gallon vessel as it's not very practical for anything when doing 5 gallon all-grain brews, use the 15 g as your BK and the 10 gallon as your HLT, and pick up a cooler to build your MLT...

Cheers!

I'm not planning on going with a fly sparge method, so I don't see why I need a huge HLT. From what I've read, I'll need to heat up ~5 gallons for the initial mash and the sparge. And I don't need to use a cooler; I went with that idea initially because it was cheaper than getting a second pot.

Whatever you choose to do (could buy cooler for mash tun and start making larger batches;)) keep in mind what measures you need to take to protect aluminum https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/

Good luck

Yep, I've seen those threads :)

I'd still go with the round igloo mash tun. It will be easier to use...just heat, dump, mix, and wait....with no chance of scorching. Once you dial in your process to hit the desired temps the igloo holds them extremely well.

I know it would be easier; I guess I wanted to know if I would be making a grave mistake by not going with a cooler over the pot. From what it sounds like, I might end up making a mistake if I end up scorching it.. hmm..

I use a direct fire MT, you have to stir when heating it, it needs to be insulated, especially the lid, but it's not that big a deal.

I love lagers and Belgians, easy to do multi step and decoction mashes with a direct fire tun.

Back