Goin' All-Grain....so excited I can barely sleep!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawnhulio

Reaction score
So, just saying... finally taking the all-grain jump. Spent the last several weeks researching kits vs. a piecemeal set-up, definately cheaper IMHO to go piecemeal. Bought 2 10-gallon Rubbermaid drink coolers, necessary stainless -steel ball valves, high-temp food-safe tubing, barbed adapters, a false bottom and adapter so I can put it together myself. Invested in a 36 inch wooden stir paddle for eight bucks and will drill my own holes to make a cheap if not dandy mash paddle. We already have a propane burner (for turkey frying) and I will be shopping our local restaurant supply houses this weekend for a larger capacity stainless-steel brew pot and a big measuring cup... as I have decided to batch-sparge at this point.

Wish me luck on putting this conglomeration together... :D

pictures please? I love seeing new setups.

got a recipe planned?

Going to do an Irish Red for my first all-grain brew. :cool:

When I have it put together I'll share some pics, pretty sure its gonna look like any other cooler set-up but am happy to take any advice or feedback I can.

It'll go fine. Batch sparging is the way to go. Good luck and let us know the results. :mug:

Will do! I think all the pieces will be here this weekend for my build, so will likely attempt the brew process the weekend after. Going to do a grain and extract Hopfen Weiss this weekend too.

This is what I am brewing a Taphouse I did it in extract 2 yeas ago and have been thinking about it since.

Amt Name Type
9 lbs 1.5 oz Pale Malt
13.0 oz Munich Malt
6.5 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
0.89 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.89 oz Vanguard [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.89 oz Vanguard [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min
1.0 pkg American Ale Yeast Blend
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 15.0 Days

This is what I am brewing a Taphouse I did it in extract 2 yeas ago and have been thinking about it since.

Amt Name Type
9 lbs 1.5 oz Pale Malt
13.0 oz Munich Malt
6.5 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
0.89 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.89 oz Vanguard [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.89 oz Vanguard [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min
1.0 pkg American Ale Yeast Blend
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 15.0 Days

Out of curiosity, do you plan on batch-sparging or fly-sparging? Would be interested to know if this recipe had a 10% efficiency compensated for (so I could take it into consideration).... not familiar with a Taphouse brew, seems hoppy but am assuming this is a part of its flavor / aroma profile?

I am going to be batch sparging. Just because I am setup that way. I lowered my expected efficiency. It was really hoppy when I had it so I cut it down to about 23 IBU's It should be much more balance now.

Just brewed my first AG over the weekend. Batch sparged in a super cheapo cooler MLT and hit 70% efficiency which I was happy with. It was great and if I thought I had the brew bug bad before, that was nothing compared to what I have now!!

I went AG about a month or so ago. It really does make brewing even more fun. I've done 2 other all grain since my first and each one has turned out better. I started with a black IPA (very hoppy) (68% effieciency :( )then a banana beer( 75% efficiency):) for the wife and spring time. I can't wait to try them. Then a raspberry wheat with 91% efficiency. ! I really don't know how that happened though. It was supposed to be around 5.8% abv and now it's 7%abv.

So, just saying... finally taking the all-grain jump. Spent the last several weeks researching kits vs. a piecemeal set-up, definately cheaper IMHO to go piecemeal. Bought 2 10-gallon Rubbermaid drink coolers, necessary stainless -steel ball valves, high-temp food-safe tubing, barbed adapters, a false bottom and adapter so I can put it together myself. Invested in a 36 inch wooden stir paddle for eight bucks and will drill my own holes to make a cheap if not dandy mash paddle. We already have a propane burner (for turkey frying) and I will be shopping our local restaurant supply houses this weekend for a larger capacity stainless-steel brew pot and a big measuring cup... as I have decided to batch-sparge at this point.

Wish me luck on putting this conglomeration together... :D

I started AG about 3 months ago. I've made 8 batches since. I love making beer so much that I actually dream about it sometimes! You're going to love making the switch. Batch sparging is quick and easy. I recommend stirring your sparge like a maniac to get all the sugars out! Have fun with it! :mug:

I have my starter starting, and planing on getting going after my middle boys T-ball game Sat.

I have my starter starting, and planing on getting going after my middle boys T-ball game Sat.

Awesome, you and I should compare notes... mine will be a couple weeks out as my kit pieces aren't slated to be here until Monday next week. Likely be doing AG the weekend at end of month. Got my paddle this week, plan on drilling some holes this weekend....it will work for the first few batches and will make an assessment afterwards.

Very nice. I have a cheapo paddle right now but a buddy is starting his woodworking business with help through the VA and I am going to be one of his first paying customers. I am going to have a fancy smancy one done up with What Ales You on the handle and with hops cut out on the paddle.

Very nice. I have a cheapo paddle right now but a buddy is starting his woodworking business with help through the VA and I am going to be one of his first paying customers. I am going to have a fancy smancy one done up with What Ales You on the handle and with hops cut out on the paddle.

I made myself a mash paddle too. I just need to cut out my design on the business end of it still.. I love the DIY projects that come up with brewing!

Back