"Go To" Brewing Recipe Kit Brands/Vendors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyoun1e

Reaction score
Folks,

Now that I have my first brew under my belt I'm already thinking of the next one. I used a BSG Handcraft White IPA kit for this batch. No idea if this is a good brand or not it was given to me for my birthday.

Are there top brands I should look to out there? Best quality ingredients with lots of options?

Think I want to brew a beer that's good for beach day drinking. Figure if I can get a brew in soon enough I'll have it ready by mid summer anyway. (Would love to make a Dale's Pale Ale clone but it's probably too soon for cloning)!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Time to go shopping!

Thanks

The best depends upon where you are located for shipping time. My go to place is Northern Brewer for shipping time and quality. I'm fairly close so the "I can wait shipping" is three days. Sign up for their emails for deals.

The best depends upon where you are located for shipping time. My go to place is Northern Brewer for shipping time and quality. I'm fairly close so the "I can wait shipping" is three days. Sign up for their emails for deals.

I'm in the Boston area.

OMG this is awesome.

I thought when it came to cloning, you had to pull all the ingredients together yourself. If kits already have done this...perfect!

This hobby is getting better and better.

Remember what I said in your other thread.....be careful so you don't get lost in the forest :D

The best thing I did after my first couple of brews, was to start experimenting with recipes...and then forcing myself to tweak it so as to "make it my own." Even if I go to my LHBS with my own recipe, I typically change a thing or two based on availability, yeast selection, etc. I find that much more rewarding than buying a kit. Don't get me wrong, unless you go all-grain you won't see significant savings on extract kits vs. extract home recipes, but it is much more challenging to do it without pages of instructions. Cheers!

Remember what I said in your other thread.....be careful so you don't get lost in the forest :D

Oh, I'm lost. Big time.

Feel like I just came out of the closet in the Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe and I'm in this whole new world.

The best thing I did after my first couple of brews, was to start experimenting with recipes...and then forcing myself to tweak it so as to "make it my own." Even if I go to my LHBS with my own recipe, I typically change a thing or two based on availability, yeast selection, etc. I find that much more rewarding than buying a kit. Don't get me wrong, unless you go all-grain you won't see significant savings on extract kits vs. extract home recipes, but it is much more challenging to do it without pages of instructions. Cheers!

I hear ya. Can't wait till I get to that point.

For now, I think working with a kit will help me refine my process and allow me to fill some gaps with equipment as well. Once I have that down, I'm sure I'll be looking to experiment on the fringes.

No doubt! Wasn't trying to steer you away from kits. I did a few kits myself to get things down. But personally, I think I was missing out on the actual science of brewing until I had to formulate things. When you can watch your recipe form using software like beersmith or a similar online tool, you can really see the magic and science behind it all.

No doubt! Wasn't trying to steer you away from kits. I did a few kits myself to get things down. But personally, I think I was missing out on the actual science of brewing until I had to formulate things. When you can watch your recipe form using software like beersmith or a similar online tool, you can really see the magic and science behind it all.

I was going to ask about software. Had heard about Beersmith.

I almost don't want to know any more.

My wife is going to kill me.

It's less than $30...do it.

Hahaha.

In the meantime...there are online recipe builders that serve the same function. However, you are usually limited to just a few recipe builds before they ask you to invest a small amount. I've had great luck with those as well.

Back