Glycol chiller for kegerator and conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisjpryor

Reaction score
Instead of setting up multiple fridges/freezers to chill kegs and fermenters, I thought why not have a single glycol chiller, and use that to chill everything?

Each "module" (conical fermenter, kegerator, etc) would have it's own cooling loop with a pump that would be switched on or off when required. The conical is already set up for glycol cooling, but I'm not sure how to do the cooling of my 4 x 1/6bbl slim kegs. I imagine I would build an insulated cabinet and run cooling lines through it, maybe using a fan for better heat transfer.

Has anyone built a kegerator using glycol for the cooling like this? Looking for ideas...

Last edited:
I've watched loads of videos about DIY glycol chillers, but haven't come across any showing how to cool kegs at home using glycol. Are there any particular videos you could recommend? PS - I want to chill the kegs themselves, not just the beer lines.

Interesting idea. Build an insulated box and plumb the glycol to a liquid-to-air heat exchanger with a fan to force the air across. I think it could work if you could find the right exchanger.

What are you using for a chiller? Set temp?

personally, I wouldn't use it for kegs. It'd be extremely inefficient to get the kegs to serving temperature. For conicals and for tap transfer lines it makes sense but not as a replacement for a refrigerator.

I've seen these "keg jackets" on the internet. They allow you to pump glycol trough them. They could work I guess. My glycol will be below freezing temperatures though, not sure if that would be a issue.

Back