Gluten Free American Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be brewing this in a couple weeks and was wondering why you added the sorghum syrup at 15 min left? Anything I've read has had me adding the syrup at the beginning of the boil. Thanks

It's been such a long time since I re-brewed this that I couldn't tell you. It might have had something to do with the IBU's but I don't remember. It has turned out great every time though.

Once I'm through my pipeline this one will definitely be one I brew again...hopefully soon.

Joy Joy, tis tax season once again. 1120s &1065s here we come with one more around the corner.

I've always taken that it's just not necessary to boil the syrup. Not quite to the point where you wouldn't boil honey because of it's flavor loss.
Also, I think it is the IBUS, since a less sugar laden water is calculated to draw out more of the alpha acids from the hops. Since most of the hops have given it all away at the end, I usually add my fermentables then. (Though I admit to just pouring the water onto the syrup mass in the fermenter these past few batches.)

Does any amount of Sorghum contribute a significant after taste? I am looking at doing a gluten free batch for my Fiance this Sunday, I'm preparing the quinoa as I type, and I was wanting to avoid this after taste that I am hearing about... I was thinking of halving the sorghum as you did but replacing the three pounds with two pounds of local blackberry honey 5 minutes before flame out. Do you think this could help or do you think that the dryness that the honey will lead to may accentuate the taste?

Question for BBBF and lcasanova. How did your beers come out. Taste, flavor, head retention, hops? I'm interested.....

Damn... That was a while ago. I'm sure it had a lot of the sorghum twang.

I made a coffee stout more recently that was sorghum syrup, roasted buckwheat, dark belgian candy syrup and cold pressed coffee. I think that one was better.

Latest posts

Back