Gluing on labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiedog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What is the best or easiest method of gluing on bottle labels? Do you roll the bottles over the labels to attach them, or just hand apply them? I've heard that some people use milk instead of glue. What kind of of milk, non-fat? Are there any contamination or mold issues from using milk? How about paper glue?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I'd really appreciate any comments. :mug:

I use a spray adhesive. Print labels, cut and trim them, lay face down on scrap cardboard, add layer of adhesive from a can, apply individually. I don't recall the brand, but it's enough to keep the labels on, while allowing easy removal for recycling. Star-San takes care of any leftover glue. I've never tried milk, but could imagine that might start to smell bad if over applied.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I use a thermal laser printer and stick them on bottles by hand, but I am distinctly not anal-retentive about it. I've found it works better to use label rolls with a repositionable adhesive so they come off easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use glue sticks, the same ones kids use in elementary/primary school, and hand apply. The labels stick and come off easily with water.

I use whole milk (but then again, I have a diary...). I have never had a problem with using milk as the adhesive for the labels. I tried the glue sticks and self adhesive labels, but nothing is as easy as a small cup of milk and a brush!

I use about 1/2 cup of hot water (~150 degrees) and 1/2 a packet of Knox gelatin mixed for one minute, and put in a spray bottle. I use the spray bottle to put the adhesive on the label (printed with a laser printer on plain paper, then cut to size), and then put it on the bottle.
When it is time to take the label off, hot water does the trick in about 10-15 seconds.

Beer labels 4-9.jpg

Wow! A lot of different methods. Sorry it took so long for me to check back in. I do understand about the dairy. You wouldn't be using store bought milk if you have your own milk supply. But I do still wonder about any growth forming on milk glued labels. Maybe it isn't a problem? Guess I'll have to try all the different methods and see which I like best. Thanks for the info! So.. laser printed labels are best?

@okiedog - I use Microsoft Word with the Avery template 8164, print out on plain paper using a laser printer, and cut to size using a paper cutter.

I use about 1/2 cup of hot water (~150 degrees) and 1/2 a packet of Knox gelatin mixed for one minute, and put in a spray bottle. I use the spray bottle to put the adhesive on the label (printed with a laser printer on plain paper, then cut to size), and then put it on the bottle.
When it is time to take the label off, hot water does the trick in about 10-15 seconds.

I also use Knox gelatin with laser printed plain paper labels. I dip the labels in the gelatin then put them on the bottle. My labels have stuck to the bottles quite well until they get put in hot water and then the labels slide right off.

GatorWayne, I'll have to try gelatin. When you say you dip labels in the gelatin, I'm assuming that both sides are coated with gelatin. Does the gelatin affect the color or clarity of the labels?

I've been using this recipe which I'm sure I had found it on the forums here at some point. I've had really good luck with it. If I have some left over I just pop it in the fridge. When I need it again I put it in a water bath and warm it up on the stove. It's really handy when I want to bottle a few from a keg and share it with somebody. I print labels out size to a sheet on a laser printer then cut, spread glue on the back with a brush, and stick on by hand.

I've used glue sticks as well. They work great until the bottle starts to sweat or gets moist in any way. Then they just start peeling off.

Here's the recipe I use:

Label Glue Recipe

This glue is excellent for bottle labels. It sticks really well even in cool wet environments like a cooler. To remove the labels simply soak the bottles in hot water and the labels will peel right off! It's apparently also a good glue for leather and fabrics.

Ingredients:

* 1 packet (1/4 ounce) of unflavored gelatin

* 3 tablespoons of boiling water

* 1 tablespoon of vinegar

* 1 teaspoon glycerine (ask for glycerine at any pharmacy or craft store)

Boil a few cups of water. Reserve the remaining water as a warming bath for the glue as you work with it. Spoon 3 Tbs into a small pyrex bowl. Dissolve the gelatin into the 3 Tbs of water. Mix in the vinegar and glycerine. If the gelatin does not completely dissolve, set the pyrex bowl in the remaining hot water and heat on low as you mix. If the glue starts getting too thick, return it to the hot water bath until it thins out.

I know I'm a little late to the discussion here (away from keyboard for a few days with the kids on spring break…), but here's my take on labels:

Label design is variable: nice ones as gifts, plain for everyday drinking — all on plain office paper cut to size.

I paste them on using about half a cup of milk mixed with approximately a teaspoon of flour: I dip the label in the milk, position it on the bottle, then wipe excess with a rag.

It doesn't matter what kind of milk (as long as it's dairy — no almond, soy, or other weird stuff), because you want the casein — a kind of protein — acting as the gluing agent. The flour also contributes some proteins as glues, and also helps to thicken it slightly. The additional viscosity (“thickness”) holds the label in place as it's drying.

This system seems to hold the labels in place even when in a cooler full of melty ice, yet come off effortlessly when washing.

…just my 2¢.

GatorWayne, I'll have to try gelatin. When you say you dip labels in the gelatin, I'm assuming that both sides are coated with gelatin. Does the gelatin affect the color or clarity of the labels?

Both sides do get a bit wet with the gelatin. So far I have not had any labels bleed even after sitting in ice water. One tip I would say is once you get the labels on the bottle, put the bottles on parchment paper or wax paper or aluminum foil. wipe the bottom before putting them in their storage container. I am very satisfied with using gelatin. Cheap, easy to mix, labels stick to the bottle until some hot water is applied and then they slide right off. I use a color laser printer and plain paper to print my labels.

I don't do a lot of labeling, generally just for gift bottles, but when I do I just use whatever milk is in the house, generally non-fat because that is what the wife buys. I use a cotton ball, dip it in the milk, paint the label and stick in on. Works great and super easy to get that label back off again *IF* the bottle gets returned to me.

For labels, we have a very nice photo-printer that uses pigmented ink that won't run when wet. Usually I will print one sheet of that and if I need more labels than that I'll get colored-laser copies since the ink is spendy. For design work I just do most of it in MS Publisher. I think Libre Office has an open source free version of publisher is you don't have it.

I had a gallon batch that I bottled tonight so I decided I would try the Avery 8164 template, milk glue method.

I usually use the 2.5" round Avery labels so I'm used to using Avery labels. I use Avery's online editor and it works well for what I try to do. You can save the files on your hard drive. Once you get a layout setup just copy the file and change artwork, text, etc.

I like the 8164 label as now I can include more information on the label. I just used my canon inkjet printer with plain paper and did not have any problems with the ink running. I wadded up a paper towel and used that to lightly moisten the back of the paper and it stuck on very well. I had a few creases but overall for the effort and cost it looks just as good as using avery labels. I have some glossy presentation paper which would probably look better.

Here is the Avery.com link where you can open a project.

http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Te...t-Online.htm?int_id=templatesandsoftware-adpo

I use this website to look for clipart. As far as I can tell this is a free site and anyone can download the artwork. The site also has an editor that I have figure out how to use to change the color of some of the clipart's.

http://www.clker.com

Just type in something like Beer, Hops, Glass, etc. in the search box at the top right.

I have also attached the avery file that is pictured on the label for anyone to use as a starting template. I had to add the .pdf to the end of the file to trick the site to load it. Just remove the .pdf and avery will recognize it. The yellowish color background can be changed or removed also.

View attachment Amber Ale.avery.pdf

IMG_3625.jpg

Am I really the only person on this site using simple peel and stick labels bought at office depot? No glue or milk or gelatin or what-have-you to mess with. Just print, peel, stick. Repeat steps 2 and 3 roughly 52 more times. Removes easy, too.

^^^^
This is truly the easiest method, which keeps labels on even in ice-filled cooler, and come off easily with warm water rinse.

All these label ideas make me anxious to replace my printer! My trusty Canon IP5000 served me well for many years until the print head finally wore out. Now I have no printer to make labels to copy and print on laser. I like all the great ways of making and gluing on labels that you guys have mentioned. Ultimately, I want an easy and inexpensive way of making presentable labels that are easy to glue on and remove. I like the Beer Labelizer, but would like the capability of adding more info or a back label.

Another vote for milk - always on hand, easy to use, easy to remove the label afterwards.

what is the advantage of using milk over a simple print, peel, and stick template?

what is the advantage of using milk over a simple print, peel, and stick template?

1. Cost

2. Versatility - you can design and cut out any shape label you want

3. Reclaim - much easier to remove the labels without the adhesive to worry about. I tried Avery labels and the adhesive was a real pain to remove without scraping.

When I used glass bottles in the past (now I put them in those big 5 gallon stainless bottles :-D) I always just used laser printer on white paper and milk. Cheapest and easiest. Slide right off in warm water. Just don't take a variety pack and dump it in a cooler or it may be a mystery-beer party.

The milk dries out fast enough that there is no problem with bacterial growth.
Using plain paper if something about them doesn't look right you haven't wasted a sheet of labels. (And I inevitably put labels in backwards or upside down so plain paper is error-proof :-D)

You guys have given me far too many choices for me to pick just one. I will have to try some if not all. Plain paper is cheap, but you have to hand cut all the labels and apply some type of glue. The Avery labels are pre-cut and are peel and stick, but cost more. Until I get a printer I will be testing the different methods to determine which one works best for me. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions; if you have more, I'd like to hear them.

Kwgriz, did you do the label design in another ap and paste into word?

Nope, did the whole design in Word 2010. There are a decent amount of tools there to make some cool labels. Here's a picture with a few more examples from my recent pipeline products:

DSC_0275.jpg

Back