Glucoamylase additions to beers other than Brut IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickyfinger

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been involved in the Brut IPA thread here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/anyone-brewing-brut-ipa.650325/

It got me thinking about glucoamylase enzyme additions to beers other than Brut IPA. Has anyone added glucoamylase to something like a saison? I guess that was the style I was thinking of adding some to so I could get an absolutely bone dry saison. Not sure what other styles would be fun to try - maybe Pils?

I've used Beano to try to "fix" a beer that attenuated too low. The final beer sucked.

Go ahead and use enzymes in any style you want. But don't expect most people to enjoy it.

i just used DryHop by Omega

Isn’t that by Imperial?

At any rate, seems like using the diastaticus strains would be the final step toward the ultimate dry beer. If you mashed low, put sugar in the boil, added glucoamylase in mash and boil, and used a diastat yeast strain, the beer would be so dry you’d need a separate beer to keep from choking on your own dry tongue.

They were probably first designed for “light” beers... AALs with minimal calories. Adding some to the mash for a bit below denaturing temps will help a normal lager fermentation get a little lower if you want something a little drier/crisper but not totally dry. Could also help eliminate the “stall” some people experience with DuPont.

Isn’t that by Imperial?

At any rate, seems like using the diastaticus strains would be the final step toward the ultimate dry beer. If you mashed low, put sugar in the boil, added glucoamylase in mash and boil, and used a diastat yeast strain, the beer would be so dry you’d need a separate beer to keep from choking on your own dry tongue.

yeah sorry. i always say omega instead of imperial. it is from imperial.

I've used Beano to try to "fix" a beer that attenuated too low. The final beer sucked.

Go ahead and use enzymes in any style you want. But don't expect most people to enjoy it.

Huh. I've brewed multiple beers using enzymes in the fermentor and they didn't "suck." One failed beer that you tried to save doesn't make a very good data point to represent all possible uses of enzyme.

Tasty beers I've brewed, intentionally designing the recipe to use Sebamyl GL in the fermentor include:
1. Cream ale (0.997 fg), drinks like a crisp Asian lager (e.g., Kirin) but still has some nice corn and rice sweetness
2. Wine yeast-fermented hoppy saison with hallertauer blanc and experimental apple crisp hops (~1.000 FG)
3. Wine yeast-fermented brut IPA (~1.001 FG), bottle-conditioned in the "methode champenoise"

I remember hearing a pro brewer talking about how they used it in their really high ABV stouts to help them attenuate without stressing the yeast too much. He never said which enzyme it was, and I don't remember which brewery he was from. Lots of help, right?

You mentioned saison, I've used WY3711 in a couple of saisons and they have all finished at or below 1.000 SG without utilizing ensymes

I used glucoamylase in a mixed fermentation sour so I could safely add more mixed cultures to it at bottling.
FG 1.000

The base beer and all the variations with different bottling cultures all turned out great.

I've used Beano to try to "fix" a beer that attenuated too low. The final beer sucked
Beano in beer just sucks.
Glucoamylase is not the same.

I fail to see anything inherently "sucky" about Beano, it's just a capsule containing alpha-D-galactosidase. I see Beano as just another enzyme "tool" that works fine when used appropriately.

Beano will attenuate beer moreso than adding generic "amylase" enzyme, but less so than adding something like Sebamyl GL which contains exo-alpha-amylase, glucoamylase or amyloglucosidase and will degrade both alpha 1-4 and alpha 1-6 glycosidic bonds.

I've used gluco amylase in stouts, scotch ales, tripels and quads, and I've liked the results so far, FG in all ~1.000. I do like dry beers! Will also unstick a stuck fermentation. Works by breaking down normally unfermentable dextrins into simple sugars that the yeast can use. So, if you mash at too high a temp and have a dextrin heavy wort, this could save your batch. Still experimenting. I use powdered gluco, and have been using 1/3 to 1/2 tsp per 5 gallons.

Back