Two Glucoamylase questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDragon

Not actually a dragon.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Did a double brew a few days ago - 6.5kg 2 row, 1.5kg wheat malt, mashed at 65C, split 50/50 between a gose and a brut IPA, both pitched on Lallemand Voss Kveik. I brought the wort to a boil and split off the gose portion before adding hops to the Brut so it has zero hops. Gave it a day with some probiotics that got a vitality starter for souring before adding the yeast - kinda like a delayed co-pitch.

My powdered glucoamylase is marked as 100k vitality (translating from Chinese). The same brand offered a version that was 200k as well, so I'm assuming that's kinda like how you get CFU counts in probiotics. The label suggests a 0.1-0.3% ratio in recipes, though I don't know what I should be comparing to or if that ratio is accurate for brewing (they suggest using it for baking as well, for example). I'd assume it I use that ratio, I should be comparing it to the grain bill and not the total weight of 20 liters of beer, because that would be a lot of enzyme...

So, ~20 liter Brut IPA, 4 kg malt in that. How much enzyme should I add, and exactly how should I add it? Sprinkle? Mix in warm water? Stir it in or just add it and let it osmose on its own?

Also, thoughts on whether or not I should add some to the gose? I'm thinking an extra dry gose could be kinda fun, but I'm kinda an idiot when it comes to brewing these days so I could be wrong. I don't think I've used beersmith or taken a gravity reading for my last 10+ brews, spanning a couple years, and sometimes I wish I had, haha.

In my experience of the liquid stuff you don't need to use the recommended dose. I use 2ml for 25L of wort. I think officially it's about four times that.

In my experience of the liquid stuff you don't need to use the recommended dose. I use 2ml for 25L of wort. I think officially it's about four times that.
Interesting. Do you find that the enzyme sticks around in the fermenter after brewing? I decided to pitch 2.5g in the Brut and hope for the best. Now I'm wondering if I need to designate this jug as the gluco fermenter.

Interesting. Do you find that the enzyme sticks around in the fermenter after brewing? I decided to pitch 2.5g in the Brut and hope for the best. Now I'm wondering if I need to designate this jug as the gluco fermenter.

No it has not been an issue, never affected the next batch.. 2.5g sounds good. I actually have a dried pack somewhere. Will see if I can find it.

i've never seen any rating on my gluco?

i pitch 11-15g into 10 gallon with the yeast, and stir it in. the enzyme is only $25 a pound so i've never really worried about trying to use less....

Back