Glitter Beer - I would like to make some and found this video, what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todes

Reaction score
Hello, have anyone here done some Glitter Beer? I would like to make a 5 gal Batch. Isaw the he put the Pure after fermantation, and then he filtered it. Is it required to filter the beer at that point?

In fairness from the one video I saw it looked like they just take edible glitter from cake decorating and added to any beer after its poured and gave it a swirl with a spoon.

He said it right in the video, the poppet in the keg was getting clogged, likely pulling from too low in the fermenter. So the filter is purely to prevent clogging again. It is not required, it's not related to the glitter at all.

as far as the glitter subject, do what you want. plenty think it's dumb, others think it's amusing to see all the hate. Do what makes you happy.

He said it right in the video, the poppet in the keg was getting clogged, likely pulling from too low in the fermenter. So the filter is purely to prevent clogging again. It is not required, it's not related to the glitter at all.

as far as the glitter subject, do what you want. plenty think it's dumb, others think it's amusing to see all the hate. Do what makes you happy.
I think it makes no harm

I dont think it would work very well if you're kegging it. If you've ever seen the hypnotiq bottles at the liquor store the glitter settles to the bottom after a short period of time. Your first couple beers would be a mega dose of sparkles and the rest of the keg would probably just look normal. Would likely work good for bottling? Or if you give your keg a good shake before every pour but that seems like a pain in the ass unless you were going to use up most of it in a single go hosting a 12 year olds birthday or something conducive to the use of extreme amounts of glitter

Glitter beer? I've seen this in ingredient kits from a few sources now. Dafuq are they thinking about? Who, besides 12 year olds, would want this?? I would like to say that as a group, homebrew suppliers have a finger on the pulse of what home brewers want, but then I read about this. Wtf are they thinking ?

Glitter beer? I've seen this in ingredient kits from a few sources now. Dafuq are they thinking about? Who, besides 12 year olds, would want this?? I would like to say that as a group, homebrew suppliers have a finger on the pulse of what home brewers want, but then I read about this. Wtf are they thinking ?

Sometimes you forget that you are in a group that is not the majority. People like trying new things, people like fads. Commercial brewers are jumping on board because it brings in people to try something new. When the NEIPA trend started, most of the home brew community threw their hands up calling it the worst thing they'd seen. Now it's very likely to get it's own category for judging. I don't think the glitter thing will go that far, just pointing out that this community can be weirdly adverse to trying things.

Just because you think something is dumb does not mean everyone agrees. If some one wants to throw edible glitter in a beer to try it, who cares?

Last edited:
Although it would be cool to poop a unicorn...I just wonder how long this stuff would stay inside you G.I. tract?

Although it would be cool to poop a unicorn...I just wonder how long this stuff would stay inside you G.I. tract?

Doesn't make it past your stomach. The food safe glitter is designed to dissolve in your stomach, not pass through you. It's not made of plastic like craft glitter.

Doesn't make it past your stomach. The food safe glitter is designed to dissolve in your stomach, not pass through you. It's not made of plastic like craft glitter.

Allegedly! Haha. It does look cool tho.

Perception is reality - for some.
Looking "cool" seems to be a factor more important than flavor and aroma. I get it, but still won't bother with it because it's like sprinkles on ice cream.

I didn’t even know such a thing existed. I guess it’s true that you learn something new everyday. Best of luck to anyone that tries it

Wait til they see my gun powder recipe using Pyrodex black powder.

We seem to be entering into some sort of odd visual phase of craft beer now - haze, glitter, weird colored Berliner Weisse :no:

We seem to be entering into some sort of odd visual phase of craft beer now - haze, glitter, weird colored Berliner Weisse :no:

Welcome to an Instagram world....

Over here it started with #pimpyourprosecco, a major store started selling food-grade glitter for people to put in prosecco and then gin. Beer is very much a late arrival on the scene - Jeff Alworth has developed a bit of an obsession.

I get people's instinctive horror of it, but I've not got a particular problem with it - there's no harm in engaging all your senses (qv Heston Blumenthal's cooking) and at the end of the day, beer is meant to be FUN. Apparently it's one of those things that does win over even a lot of sceptics, there's a certain hypnotic attraction to watching the convection currents of beer in the same way as a lava lamp. So while I've not had it myself, I'm open to the idea of having it once - never knock something until you've tried it. Apart from incest and morris dancing, obviously.

Last edited:
Perception is reality - for some.
Looking "cool" seems to be a factor more important than flavor and aroma. I get it, but still won't bother with it because it's like sprinkles on ice cream.

I wont sit here and allow you to dis sprinkles on ice cream!!! Where's your inner child??

However. I do agree about the sparkles in beer. It looks cool, but doesn't add anything else. Taste is everything in my book. Besides...if it doesn't add inches to your d***, why do it?

But I'm not going to hate on anyone trying to be creative.

Last edited:
It's not for me, but i'm not gonna bag on someone for digging it or wanting to brew it. For me, I see it as a fad similar to NEIPAs: despite me wanting it to pass, people clamor over it and attempt to make it just because they can. Blasphemy, likely to many here, but that's just one idiot's opinion.

It's funny how the forum rolls....
No one want's to diss these types of oddities, but have some noob want to dry hop with Magnum and watch the fireworks......
Forget that, just mention lager yeast and room temperature in the same post and people always come out of the woodwork. It's just beer, at the end of the day someone will drink it.

Back