Glasses etched INSIDE to encourage bubble formation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ike

nOob for life
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, it's cheating. THAT SAID, in the deepest and darkest corners of my quickly-fading memory I recall hearing about beer glasses that were etched on the INSIDE to create the tiny defects necessary to create those lovely streams of bubbles that flow up from the bottom of the glass. Or, anyone ever try DIYing this? I seem to recall one of my engineering professors talking about how an acute angled defect in the glass decreased the total free energy of formation necessary for the CO2 bubble to precipitate out of the liquid phase, and that's why that constant stream of bubbles came from the same spot in the glass. I wonder if scoring the very bottom of a glass with a scratch awl would have the same effect.

I know, proper carbonation is key. Again, that said, having a little extra "oooohhh ahhhh" factor when handing a pint over to a new taster would be pretty cool.

Anyone ever heard of this?

I'm pretty sure my Heineken glasses have a star ground in the inside bottom.
But I haven't intentionally altered any glassware. Let us know what you do.

AHA! THAT'S the term I needed! Now that I know what to search for, they're popping up available everywhere.

I think I'll score one or two for some side-by-side comparisons.

THANKS!

It's called a nucleated glass. I don't see any reason why you couldn't DIY one

You could use an engraving tool.

71P3HZaB41L._SX355_.jpg

If you've got one of the usual craft stores (Jo-Ann, Michael's) nearby, you can pick up a glass etching cream that ought to do the trick.

13156310.jpg

Brush it in the bottom, wait maybe 10 min, and rinse out.

As an added bonus, they usually come with some stencils, so you could do a little decoration on your fancy bubble glass.

The only downside is that it's fun, and you may find yourself etching random stuff onto every glass that has holds still long enough...

Last edited:
I have a set of these nucleated glasses. Bottom line is that they work. Big time. You can buy them on amazon.

To get the most out of them your beer carbonation and head retention must match the glass. Too much carbonation and head retention and it'll foam over very quickly. Too little carbonation and it'll bring all your carbonation out of solution and you'll be drinking flat beer. I suspect in the bars where I see these they've had the brewery's technical services out to adjust how the kegs are kept to suit the glasses.

When it's done right they look fantastic as you get a rising torrent of bubbles that never stops and a head that never disappears.

The beer goes flat much sooner also.

A brewery in norway tried out nucleated glasses some years ago but had to pull them back since customers were complaining about the beer going flat very fast.

Latest posts

Back