Glass carboy vs. plastic bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its still plastic if it scratches it can cause off flavors in your beer, i feel like the people that are choosing plastic are sacrificing making a better beer with no extra chemicals in it because you don't want to pay a little more... i just think that is sad, i don't have a lot of extra money that i can spend on brewing and i wont brew till i have the right tools to make it work

There are no "extra chemicals" in my better bottle fermented beer. I would proudly stack my beer up against any brewer using glass carboys. And in fact this weekend I did. And my beer won. Better Bottles are considerably more expensive then buckets, so the cost savings is a bit off the mark as well.

I think it's sad that you seem to have passed judgement on people who use plastic when the science says your concerns are unfounded.

PS, I have (within reason) as much money as I need to spend on my hobby, and I've learned that spending more doesn't brew you better beer. It's about process, not whether you use glass or plastic for fermenting.

I'm surprised this is still a subject of debate. Bottom line, both options will make great beer. There are pros and cons for each, neither is "superior", and neither leech chemicals. It's just a matter of preference and tradeoffs.

Quick question...are there any cleaners that should NOT be used on Better bottles?

The only time I've been able to get any cleaner residue/effect on a better bottle was when I was cleaning a fermenter and left it half full of oxy solution for over a week because I forgot about it and went on a business trip. I eventually just soaked it starsan for 20 minutes and used the rag trick (put a rag in with a tiny bit of solution and swish it around to contact all interior surfaces of the carboy) and it all came off. I don't use that one for fermenting anymore though, just for carrying water from the kiosk to my home brewery.

This has likely been covered already in the thread, but I just cleaned my glass carboy for the first time - it took considerably longer and made my back a bit sore compared to cleaning a bucket.

I would break down the adv/disadv as follows:

1) Buckets are far more easy and less dangerous to deal with every step of the way.
2) Glass can always get cleaner since buckets can scratch and retain miscro-organisms.

3) With glass you can see in there which makes for both entertainment and possibly infection monitoring (you'll notice it sooner than with a bucket?).

For me, buckets have the edge.

This has likely been covered already in the thread, but I just cleaned my glass carboy for the first time - it took considerably longer and made my back a bit sore compared to cleaning a bucket.

1) Buckets are far more easy and less dangerous to deal with every step of the way.
2) Glass can always get cleaner since buckets can scratch and retain miscro-organisms.

3) With glass you can see in there which makes for both entertainment and possibly infection monitoring (you'll notice it sooner than with a bucket?).

I would also add a small addendum to 1). If you are a home brewer like myself who rents a small-ish apartment (Wisconsin, so anyone from New York City, I appologize that you live in New York City) and having the bucket just makes that much more sense. When I'm not brewing/fermenting/anything beer related, I can place most of my equipment into the bucket (be careful not to slam and scratch stuff).

If/When I rent or buy a house in the near future I will be looking at a at least half finished basement to store my brewing gear and my for fermenting/bulk aging in carboys. For right now I'm stretching it just having the gear that I have now (minimal).

TL;DR: Buckets are space savers.

Most people don't bother with secondary there is like a gazillion posts on that.... just primary 3-4 weeks and your golden.. use that 5 gal carboy for some of Ed Wort's Apfelwein super easy to make... 5 gal's of apple juice and 2 lbs of corn sugar and a dry pack of Montrachet wine yeast... takes all of 15 minutes to make

Yea I have to second the secondary thing. Its probably not necessary.

The only thing with plastic buckets is to be careful not to scratch it. Scratches can harbor bacteria that can mess up the beer pretty bad; and they are hard to clean the scratches (edit: Andy60 said this above, but reiterating cant hurt...)

Good luck!

Im always confused about the buckets getting scratched, what the hell are you guys using to clean your buckets? Steel wool balls? Seriously just soak a bucket for 5 minutes and use a soft sponge and your bucket will be clean as the day you bought it.

Im always confused about the buckets getting scratched, what the hell are you guys using to clean your buckets? Steel wool balls? Seriously just soak a bucket for 5 minutes and use a soft sponge and your bucket will be clean as the day you bought it.

Fairly easy for plastic buckets to get scratched. Cat decides to take a nap, kid decides to toss toys inside, wife does you a favor and throws your bottle capper inside, you drop a knife inside by accident while cutting something...

I will buy a plastic primary bucket soon - one with a lid and a hole for an airlock. I plan to keep the lid sealed on the empty vessel when not in use, stored somewhere in my basement where kids, critters, and wives don't normally roam.

I have all glass carboys. I dont have anything against plastic, i like to "watch" the fermentation take place and using a bucket as a primary drove me nuts.

I had to start over after we moved and have kept at a Glass & Plastic approach depending on the batch, time I was going to leave it in, and what was most convenient (price being the key for not going either all stainless cavern or conical being far superior).

That said, while I've never had it happen, my godfather got stabbed in the leg by a metal handle that broke free of a bucket so I'm pretty cautious about moving them. Keep in mind they're only held in by a bit of plastic. Glass is certainly far less forgiving and far more brittle... However, there are some fantastic options out there for moving them. The milk crate approach is great assuming you have a strong enough milk crate and it makes it far easier for two people to move them (glass carboys). I have one of the Brew Haulers which, while it's not bad, I had my Aunt sew one up for me that I like far better. It's the same basic principle but it's made out of tow strap and industrial strength 2" thick HD velcro (the velcro is just to secure the bottom within the straps and keep it from shifting and it has enough contact area to literally hold my fat @#$% in the air if it came to it so long as I'm not pulling straight down.). I'm going to talk to her (you know, as a christmas present!) and get her to make me another one or two with flaps for the outside to cover the carboy entirely.

Anyway, back on topic... I have 2 buckets (2g and 7g) and multiple glass carboys/jugs (1x5g, 2x6g, 2x3g, 5x1g). My busiest is the 7g bucket, one of the 6g Carboys, and depending on the season several of the 1g ones for fresh fruit experiments. I've never had plastic carboys for anything other than water and I've been largely unsatisfied with them in that role as I've had a few (in ~12-13yrs) break seams and spill water everywhere but being fair, one was a walmart special.

There are no "extra chemicals" in my better bottle fermented beer. I would proudly stack my beer up against any brewer using glass carboys. And in fact this weekend I did. And my beer won. Better Bottles are considerably more expensive then buckets, so the cost savings is a bit off the mark as well.

I think it's sad that you seem to have passed judgement on people who use plastic when the science says your concerns are unfounded.
While I don't really thing chemicals are leaking into brews done in the Better Bottles or some of the other nice options out there made of plastic... Your above example isn't really a good comparison. You can still be a better brewer than the other competitors and edge them out. To make a clear comparison they would both have to be by you in both mediums and in all likelihood no one would find a perceptible difference supporting your assertion.

I have read some support of oxygen permeability of even the better bottles or even plastic of any kind which it stands to reason would be higher than glass. That doesn't really fall under the category of chemical in my mind. In the interest of playing Devil's advocate though, there are some possible "chemicals" that could be leeched from glass depending on how it's made. Lead is a prime example. Although I suspect the chances of that being used are highly unlikely in any good quality part.

Personally I use cheap buckets which I replace with moderate frequency or glass because I prefer it and maybe even a tad bit of habit. In the case of the glass, I also appreciate not being as concerned about scratching it while cleaning as I would be with it's plastic brethren.

Fairly easy for plastic buckets to get scratched. Cat decides to take a nap, kid decides to toss toys inside, wife does you a favor and throws your bottle capper inside, you drop a knife inside by accident while cutting something...

I will buy a plastic primary bucket soon - one with a lid and a hole for an airlock. I plan to keep the lid sealed on the empty vessel when not in use, stored somewhere in my basement where kids, critters, and wives don't normally roam.

True, i guess im asking in brewing in general. If we're going to outside forces your kid could easily throw something and crack your glass carboy or your fat dog could bump into it and knock it over lol:tank:

I'd err on the side of caution and guess the hookers did it. Admittedly they usually get a bad rap but they're frequently cheaper than dating with much more amicable results... You know, save the genital warts but you can get those either place. ;)

im always confused about the buckets getting scratched, what the hell are you guys using to clean your buckets? Steel wool balls? Seriously just soak a bucket for 5 minutes and use a soft sponge and your bucket will be clean as the day you bought it.

+1

I just like glass. It seems cleaner to me, soils are easily visible. And they last forever. A Brew-Hauler or parka keeps the accidents down, and unless it's stainless over 304, I'll keep it glass.

I just like glass. It seems cleaner to me, soils are easily visible. And they last forever. A Brew-Hauler or parka keeps the accidents down, and unless it's stainless over 304, I'll keep it glass.

This is all good until the "accident" involves a trip to the emergency room.

I like my Better Bottles. I can see what is happening, they are very light and even easier to clean than buckets, IMO.

And they are very unlikely to sever arteries!

I use my glass carboys whenever they are open because there is no risk of leaking. I also like to be able to see fermentation.

I've cracked 3 bucket spigots now, but luckly haven't lost a full batch... just leaks a lot.

I just used glass for the longest time. In the last year or so I've switched to buckets. Much easier to clean and move around. I haven't noticed a taste difference in my beers. The only thing I miss is watching them ferment.

My carboys are going to be used for sours and meads now, basically anything that has to ferment for a long time.

Oh yeah and they are cheaper too.

Never used a better bottle. They seem like they would be just and much or more of a pain to clean as a carboy. Plus they are kind of pricey.

Another positive of buckets is that they don't take up that much space since you can stack them all up together.

bucket-carboys-60365.jpg

Buckets.
6.5 imperial gallon buckets allow for 7 US gallon return.
5 gallons get kegged, 1.5-2 gallons get force carbonated in 2.5 gallon keg for sample bottles.
I modify food grade bulk head fittings to take carboy caps facilitating dry hopping and racking.
I never take off the lid between pitch and packaging.
I don't secondary.
I'm on batch 55 this year, and I have never had oxidation or infection issues.
Use new racking tubing each transfer.

Plastic then straight to kegs. I brew all ales though.

I brew all grain partial boil and generally chill down to 125 before before adding it to freezer chilled spring water. I'd never do that with glass. Another benefit to plastic.

This is all good until the "accident" involves a trip to the emergency room.

I like my Better Bottles. I can see what is happening, they are very light and even easier to clean than buckets, IMO.

And they are very unlikely to sever arteries!

Well until they can guarantee no BPA 1 or 2, no cleaner retention and no age deterioration, I'll sick to my dangerous life.

I have 2 6.5 gallon buckets that came with my kit, the only difference being that the one for bottling has a spigot. I'm just starting so I'm only doing single stage fermentation for now but if I wanted to do a secondary in the future I was thinking of doing primary in the bottling bucket, secondary in the other one and then back to the bottling bucket (which I would obviously clean in between) for bottling. Would there be anything wrong with this procedure?

I have 2 6.5 gallon buckets that came with my kit, the only difference being that the one for bottling has a spigot. I'm just starting so I'm only doing single stage fermentation for now but if I wanted to do a secondary in the future I was thinking of doing primary in the bottling bucket, secondary in the other one and then back to the bottling bucket (which I would obviously clean in between) for bottling. Would there be anything wrong with this procedure?

There's too much head space in a bucket to use as a secondary. When you rack you lose the CO2 blanket that's in your primary.

Secondaries are not needed for making "regular beer." Racking to secondary will expose your beer to oxygen, and possibly infections. Let it sit on the primary yeast cake until done.

IslandLizard said:
There's too much head space in a bucket to use as a secondary. When you rack you lose the CO2 blanket that's in your primary.

Ahh makes sense, guess I'll need to buy a carboy if I want to try some more advanced things in the future, but that's a while down the line for me anyway. Thanks

Speidel tanks are pretty awesome. I have only used mine several times but it is certainly a keeper and I will probably get one or two more as I phase out my glass carboys.

Virtues:
The spigot/ cap fixtures are really easy to clean and the port is at a perfect depth to prevent all but a small burst of trub/ yeast at the beginning of draining. Because the port is threaded on the outside and the way the gasket is seated in the cap there is minimal habitat for infectious organisms.

You can get your hand entirely inside the fermenter unlike a carboy and the threaded, gasketed cap is far easier to put on or remove than a bucket lid. The airlock port is threaded as well so you can completely cap it when it's filled with starsan.

The airlock is the size of my fist and I can fit my thumb with wiggle room entirely in the top outlet pipe and my pinky with wiggle room through the rubber stopper. It's a two piece airlock which means that the top piece floats; in the event of a gusher it is less likely to compromise its ability to function as an airlock.

It has handles, I almost forgot, but how could I forget? The handles help a great deal when moving it around (I have the 30L not the 120L which cannot be lifted by handles when full) and are about half as awkward as carboy or bucket to haul (from patio to basement)

The downside:

The 7.9 gal (30 L) model was $56 shipped. I can get 5 gal buckets from the local delis for free just about anytime I want... sometimes they don't have lids though :D

As for aging I will be using BB's but I don't regularly secondary anymore after I decided it just presented another opportunity for infection/ oxidation not to mention another vessel to clean.

With a belly full of beer this speidel burps up some starsan bubbles. (stupid crappy camera focuses on mess in the background)

Burping up some Starsan sm.jpg

Ive been using buckets for over a year now. I only do single stage fermenting ive been educated by some others who've been doing this for years theres really no need to rack into a second container. Major issues with transfering is introducing oxyhen. I keg as well and have been recently shown how to use a ss racking cane, co2, orange carboy cap, and move the beer into a keg with minimal risk of oxygenation. So i boughy by first glass carboy @ 6.5 gallons. Ill be brewing 5.5 gallons batches now!. Ill still use my buckets for when i brew massive amounts.

great thread. a couple of my buddies recently started brewing and asked me the same question. my personal preference is to use plastic buckets--i use both the 5 gallon (really a 6.5 gallon) and the wider mouth 5 gallon (really a 7.5 gallon wine bucket). the buckets are MUCH easier to clean, store, transport, an don't break like glass! they are also extremely usefull when dry hopping and/or adding fruit/herbs/wood chips/etc. also, at 1/3-1/2 the price of glass carboys, it is an economical option.

that said, i have some 5 and 6.5 gallon glass carboys that i used for bulk aging big beers and meads--much easier to monitor their progress and clarification. glass is nice in that it doesn't scratch inside and you can see what is going on inside (always interesting!). it is heavy though, can be difficult to clean, and can break, so be careful.

never had an issue w/ infections or bad beer in plastic either...my cleaning regimen is to obviously sanitize before each use, but after i rack to another clean bucket, i rinse the used bucket out w/ hot water, remove any caked on debris w/a clean sponge, and then re-sanitize before i put it away. this way i know it's clean when put away and all i need to do to get it for the next batch is to rinse it out and sanitize it. works for me...to each their own!

just racked a cherry ale (5# cherries) and double batch of a honey/ginger ale (w/ ~ 1/2# of sliced ginger). buckets worked great for both and clean up was simple.

cheers.

I only use glass Carboys. Have a 6 1/2 gallon for primary and (five) 5 gallon glass carboys. I personally only leave in primary for 5 to 7 days and then move to secondary. I like the idea of racking while its still a few points from FG to ensure the carboy will be full of CO2 instead of Oxygen in the secondary. I leave in secondary for couple of weeks and then keg.

To the tune of "Green eggs and Ham": would you transport glass ... On a bike? Even if it was a hike?

image-3005557287.jpg

Technically speaking I prefer glass - it seems to be much less prone to scratching or contamination. However it is pretty heavy when empty. Technically these are better bottles, but I could carry 2-3x the buckets.

So I'd say glass carboys if they're staying put. Plastic buckets or better bottles if you have I bring them somewhere.

i hate carboys. after years of not having 1, i was given 1 recently. i got it cleaned up with a lot of effort, used it for a primary, and now looking at it dreading having to clean it in a few days. i remember the other reason i stopped using them a long time ago

i hate carboys. after years of not having 1, i was given 1 recently. i got it cleaned up with a lot of effort, used it for a primary, and now looking at it dreading having to clean it in a few days. i remember the other reason i stopped using them a long time ago

I'm a bucket guy myself, but cleaning your carboy isn't that bad. Fill it with your cleaning solution (PBW, Oxiclean, whatever), and let it soak for a couple days. That'll take care of most of it. Then you need a carboy brush for the rest.

I'm a bucket guy myself, but cleaning your carboy isn't that bad. Fill it with your cleaning solution (PBW, Oxiclean, whatever), and let it soak for a couple days. That'll take care of most of it. Then you need a carboy brush for the rest.
For me, OxiClean always take off all of the thickest, crustiest nasty gunk stuck to the side of my glass carboys. Rarely have to use a brush. But filling your 6½ gallon carboy with OxiClean is making a lot of extra work and added danger for yourself. All you need is enough water so that when you flip it over it covers the krausen ring. Normally one to two gallons for me. Seal the top with some foil and a few rubber bands and put it up-side-down in a bucket. The manufacture says that the OxiClean will loose its oxidative power after about 6 hours, so soaking more than overnight is no advantage. I’ve noticed that if it stays in there too long it leaves a film that’s difficult to remove. Just be extra careful. OxiClean makes for a very slippery carboy!

Back