Glass Carboy Stain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper1917

Reaction score
About a year ago I got a glass carboy from someone who hasnt brewed in years. It was sitting in their basement for like 10 years. I took it home washed it and sanitized it - I got it nice and clean except for a small brown stain on the glass. I scrubbed and scrubbed with bleach and a carboy brush and it wouldnt budge. I have been using it as a second carboy for a while but recently read that if it has a stain it can infect my beer??

Should i be concerned about this and is there any solution that may help - ive scrubbed and scrubbed with no avail.

Thanks

First, make sure the stain is actually on the inside if you haven't already. (I've washed my fair share of windows on the wrong side). If you haven't tried it, try soaking it. Use Oxiclean or PBW and hot water, and let it soak for days, if you wish. Then give it a scrub, see what happens.

But, if that doesn't do anything, and if you haven't noticed any infections, my guess is it's probably going to be okay.

Latest posts

Back