Glass Carboy Disposal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gxm

Reaction score
One of my 5 gallon glass carboys has a crack in the bottom, so I'm going to ditch it. How does one go about safely throwing away such a large glass item?
Should I just put the whole thing in the trash, or should I try to break it somehow?

Do you have glass recycling around you? We don't have curbside pickup here, but there are centers you can go to around town and they have different sections for brown, green, clear glass.

If your going to end up putting it somewhere where another person will have to handle it without knowing I guess the best thing to do would be to break it into smaller pieces and stick it in a cardboard box that is taped shut.

I had the same thing happen...I just gave it a proper memorial service (she did me well, old girl!) and plopped it in the recycling bin. Attempting to break it is just asking for an accident...

To all the hippies out there, please be easy on me, but.....

I've read that glass recycling centers are generally set up to recycle bottles and consumable types of glass. Pyrex dishes, wine glasses, [and carboys?] apparently are made with different types of glass with higher melting points than bottles. Also, when things like broken glass make it into the recycler, not only are the bits extremely difficult to sort, they can contaminate a batch when the glass doesn't melt in the furnace.

Glass Recycling, Recycle Glass, Recycling Glass

So, my vote is to just chuck it into the trash....or into the ocean, where it might wash up someday as a **** ton of sea glass. :)

start putting loose change in it. It might take a lifetime to fill it but you wont steal out of it because it'd be a pain in the a** to lift. :D

I don't know if I could resist taking it out for a day of shootin'. :D

The proper disposal method is to move said large glass object to a safe, remote location and fill with water. Next, discharge a high-velocity cartridge into the object from a safe distance. I recommend: .220 Swift or 7mm Winmag or .30-06.

Oh ummm.... later go back and pick up the glass... be green and all.....

I'd deal with it the same way as used fluorescents. Put in heavy-duty plastic bag, hit with hammer enough to break it down reasonably well, thus reducing the bulk. Recycle.

I'm move of a 7.62 guy myself.

In order to, um, facilitate the cleanup, I'd lay 2-3 tarps out to catch the good size chunks. Oh! And pictures. Pictures from far away.

I'd deal with it the same way as used fluorescents. Put in heavy-duty plastic bag, hit with hammer enough to break it down reasonably well, thus reducing the bulk. Recycle.

You know those contain mercury right? You can recycle those lights at places like HD/Lowes, but I'd be surprised if your curbside recycling program would take them. Either way, breaking them before disposal/recycling is probably a BAD idea...

Just sayin'

While shooting them sounds like all kinds of fun (and I'd put a 12ga slug through something that thick, but only after I filled it with jello. The unsweetened kind, of course. Wouldn't want any bugs.) the recycling center that I go to has giant dumpsters that you just chuck your glass into. That seems like it would be a good time to me, you're recycling it, you get to break it, and you more than likely get to break a lot of other glass while you're doing it.

Sorry to hear about your carboy.

Talk of shooting the carboy does sound like fun, alas, I'm a city boy with no guns or place to fire them off. We have curbside recycling, so no big bins of broken glass fun.

I called my garbage hauler, and they say "not recyclable, put it in the garbage".

You don't have a separate bin to put glass in? I have a green bin for yard waste that I'll never ever use, a blue one for paper/metal/cardboard and a red bin specifically for glass. I've put plenty of broken bottles in the glass bin, they've always taken em. My garbage hauler is Waste Management.

You don't have a separate bin to put glass in? I have a green bin for yard waste that I'll never ever use, a blue one for paper/metal/cardboard and a red bin specifically for glass. I've put plenty of broken bottles in the glass bin, they've always taken em. My garbage hauler is Waste Management.

they all do it their own way . Here we just have a big rolling blue bin everything from plastic to aluminum/metal and glass goes in . Paper products are separated. They just come up lift it with the arm and dump it into the truck just like the garbage.Driver never leaves the seat .

I have Cloudburst, and I do have a separate bin for glass. They say they want it in the garbage, so there it will go...unless someone comes up with a much more fun method of disposal that I don't have to clean up :D

Back