give me your recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defenestrate

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i just got my first barrel, its a 5 gallon that was previously used for rum. i really got it to use for more oak flavor once i've done a few beers to use up most of the rum flavors... but i'm kind of at a loss for the first couple beers to do- can you guys help me out and give your recommendation for a rum barrel aged beer to try?
thanks!

cheers

Hrm...I've never had a rum flavored beer, but I'm thinking for some reason a Holiday Spiced Beer or a Pumpkin Beer. Maybe add a little rum to a couple of different beers as "research" and see how you react.

:mug:

Hrm...I've never had a rum flavored beer, but I'm thinking for some reason a Holiday Spiced Beer or a Pumpkin Beer. Maybe add a little rum to a couple of different beers as "research" and see how you react.

:mug:

i just had an epic fail on 10 gallons of pumpkin beer, nice infection. maybe i'll have to redeem myself

i was thinking of maybe an old/strong ale or a big IPA too...

My thought would be a nice winter warmer style ale. Something with a little spiciness to it that would compliment the rum flavor.

It's going to be tough to much much barrel aging done in any beer and have it ready for Christmas. But you could easily have a dubbel (not a quad) into the barrel in 3 weeks giving it at least a month in the barrel, at least if you're going to keg this.

from reading others experience with the barrels, it sounds like they pick up flavor extremely fast the first time around, some guys only leaving the beer in the barrel for 4-5 days and racking to a secondary to have it age.

it will definitely be an interesting brew.

Back