Give me a reason to not taste my beer yet!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citingzero

Reaction score
Got a Scottish light bottle conditioning. It tasted amazing when I bottled it. It's only been in the bottles for a few days but I really want it.

(Before I get flamed, I understand leave it in the bottle for a few weeks. I will taste a couple as the weeks pass to see how the taste changes. I'm just looking for a support group for my patience :mug:)

Stolen form one of our HBT brethren: If you drink one now, it might be OK, but if left for 3+weeks it will be much better.

Basically, you can drink one now and it might be OK, but you are wasting a GOOD to GREAT beer just for curiosity sake!

tenbrew said:
I say taste it - it will help you understand how a beer develops. Not helping am I?

I will be tasting periodically, for that very reason

@hackwood - I understand that but I am willing to sacrifice a couple for science. It's for science!!!

Don't do it...let it sit...go out and get some craft beer and tell yourself that yours will be so much better after a couple of weeks. You'll thank yourself later.

I know you said give you a reason -not- too, but I say go for. Wait at least a week (since bottling) or two and then 48 hrs. in the fridge but then go for it. It will either be good and not a waste, or it will be bad and it will make you think twice before you do it again :)

Either way, it's your beer, do what you want with it. I don't do it anymore, but I used to find it interesting to see how it developed.

Taste it and get it over with. We all have done it at one time or another. It's your beer, and you don't need permission from anyone!

For clarification, I do need "support" but I totally plan on tasting it throughout the conditioning. I just don't want to drink the whole batch within a week of bottling (kegging in the past). I was just making conversation after having a few beers. It seems that this thread has taken on a rather serious tone. Just looking for "you can do it" or "all the girls will love you if you wait" type of support. Please don't ban me for wasting bandwidth ;) :mug:

I think it's a great way to see how your beer's coming along. People worry too much, myself included, but the great thing about homebrewing is that if you run out of beer, you can just make some more! Of course, try not to wait until you're out before you start making the next batch :mug:

Personally I always pop open a bottle about 5-7 days into the bottle conditioning process to check how its coming along. Go ahead and pop one, but don't be surprised if they aren't carbed or ready yet.

I, too, have an empty beer supply line. My first brew is bottle conditioning right now and that is why I ran out last night an picked up a six pack of something new...... I needed a distraction.

Wait a week if you can then try 1. Wait another week then try another 1. You may as well learn why the common wisdom is patience.

I say taste one at 1st week, another at 2nd week, then another at third week, you'll notice the improvement as the weeks go on. And it's educational. Once you see the improvement between 1st and 2nd week you'll never want to waste your beer by drinking on the first week.

Next Saturday is 3 weeks for my red ale. I'll have a few.

I have been proud of my patience so far on my first brew. Four weeks in the fermenter and then bottled 12 days ago. But the patience ran out last night and I stuck two bottles in the fridge. I will drink the first tomorrow, after 48 hours in the fridge and the other on Saturday. I plan to stick about 20 in the fridge next Wednesday night, leaving me about a case to condition even longer.

You still have patience!

My beers are often gone by the time they are three-four weeks old, depending on the style and if they are meant to be drunk fresh. I'd never be able to wait a month to drink a bottle of beer for most of them!

You still have patience!

My beers are often gone by the time they are three-four weeks old, depending on the style and if they are meant to be drunk fresh. I'd never be able to wait a month to drink a bottle of beer for most of them!

The problem with my patience is that I now have another 5 gallon batch that I am going to dry hop this weekend. Bottles are at a premium at my house right now.

Got a Scottish light bottle conditioning. It tasted amazing when I bottled it. It's only been in the bottles for a few days but I really want it.

(Before I get flamed, I understand leave it in the bottle for a few weeks. I will taste a couple as the weeks pass to see how the taste changes. I'm just looking for a support group for my patience :mug:)

It's your beer, do whatever you want!

If you want a reason to wait, here it is: every bottle that you drink now before that beer hits its peak is one less gret beer that you'll get to enjoy. It's that simple.

What are you afraid of? Just do it!

CHUG CHUG CHUG!!!

Not sure what the concern is. I suppose after reading all the "my beer didn't work" from those who have cracked one open after one week, I should just accept it as something that will heal itself if it sucks. But, I will lose the dream of that magic moment when the first sip of my homebrew is clearly the greatest beer I've ever had...I know that isn't going to happen but I'd also not like to spit the first sip of my stuff across the room in disgust.

By the way, my wife is a Big Rapids Bulldog...but I married her anyway.

It's your beer, do whatever you want!

If you want a reason to wait, here it is: every bottle that you drink now before that beer hits its peak is one less gret beer that you'll get to enjoy. It's that simple.

But you don't know where the peak is unless you drink some of them.

72 virgins will be waiting naked inside your refrigerator gently caressing your lovingly packaged bottles just waiting for it to condition fully and only if you stay strong and avoid the temptation will they give themselves to you.......

Three reasons to drink it

1) If you made 5 gallons of it, then you have 50 or so bottles. Drink one.
2) It's your beer and there will be plenty left in 2 more weeks. Drink one.
3) It has alcohol in it and it tastes good already. Drink one.

72 virgins will be waiting naked inside your refrigerator gently caressing your lovingly packaged bottles just waiting for it to condition fully and only if you stay strong and avoid the temptation will they give themselves to you.......

Revenge-of-the-Nerds-620x261.jpg

But you don't know where the peak is unless you drink some of them.

Psh. Unless it's a beer that suffers from aging, it's not like the peak evaporates in a week or two.

Is there some magical peak that is supposed to happen prior to week 3 in bottles, that I have somehow been missing?

I always drink one at 1 - 1.5 weeks. Can't wait. It never tastes quite right, so I always wait another 1 - 1.5 weeks.

Doesn't make sense, but I am too impatient. And I"m normally a pretty patient fellow . . .

I always drink one at 1 - 1.5 weeks. Can't wait. It never tastes quite right, so I always wait another 1 - 1.5 weeks.

Doesn't make sense, but I am too impatient. And I"m normally a pretty patient fellow . . .

Exactly what I was talking about. Again, it's your beer - drink it all in a week if you like.

I'll be a fuddyduddy and wait a little longer.

I say try one so you can see how much it changes over the weeks ahead. I tried mine that was only a week old last night....dumped it. It did help take the edge off of waiting though.

I say try one so you can see how much it changes over the weeks ahead. I tried mine that was only a week old last night....dumped it. It did help take the edge off of waiting though.

I think that a lot of you folks must be the kind who peek at Christmas presents or even try to open the paper and rewrap them. I'd be pretty disappointed if I opened a bottle and it was so green that I felt the need to dump it. For me, it's so much better to wait and enjoy good beer.

Again, I said "for me". All you early testers should keep testing bottles - even pouring them out, if it makes you happy. Yay for the personal aspects of this hobby, you can do whatever you want.

I think that a lot of you folks must be the kind who peek at Christmas presents or even try to open the paper and rewrap them. I'd be pretty disappointed if I opened a bottle and it was so green that I felt the need to dump it. For me, it's so much better to wait and enjoy good beer.

Again, I said "for me". All you early testers should keep testing bottles - even pouring them out, if it makes you happy. Yay for the personal aspects of this hobby, you can do whatever you want.

But here's the thing- I've NEVER poured out a "green beer". Never.

A well made beer doesn't need that long to condition. I can drink it as soon as it's carbed up, if made properly. I have one recipe I make all the time (oatmeal stout) that needs about two weeks after fermention is over to meld and condition a bit, for the flavors to blend. Otherwise, they are fine at bottling or kegging.

A long conditioning time might cover up some brewing mistakes, but I'd rather just fix the brewing mistakes and forgo the lengthy conditioning. I've made over 300 batches of beer, so I'm speaking from experience on this.

I usually taste my bottled beer at 7 days and then 14 days to see how the carbonating is going only if I'm impatient. If you brew more you will have a batch or 2 in bottles for a month before you even think to try one and THAT is the best thing to do! If you get the urge to try one premature...just brew another batch instead!

A well made beer doesn't need that long to condition. I can drink it as soon as it's carbed up, if made properly. I have one recipe I make all the time (oatmeal stout) that needs about two weeks after fermention is over to meld and condition a bit, for the flavors to blend. Otherwise, they are fine at bottling or kegging.

A long conditioning time might cover up some brewing mistakes, but I'd rather just fix the brewing mistakes and forgo the lengthy conditioning. I've made over 300 batches of beer, so I'm speaking from experience on this.

I am well aware that you have brewed a TON of batches, have your process dialed in, and don't really need any aging. I bow to your prowess!

Do note that I gave my opinion, but also stated my respect for the position of those who try their beer even if it's not ready (their process is still inferior to yours, perhaps) - even if they want to try beer that they can't choke down.

I did not mean to imply that all who drink young beer are wasting it; if it's ready, it's ready... and if it isn't ready - but you're okay with that fact - have at it.

I would not dream of telling others what they SHOULD do with their beer. It's theirs, not mine. I share what I do and why (the OP did ask for opinions), but it's no skin off my back if somebody wants to guy buy an extra long silly straw, stick it through the airlock, and start sucking up beer right out of the fermenter. It's their beer, no?

Incidentally, though I am a "patience" guy, I haven't posted anything about long conditioning in this thread.

No need to be a jerk to people who don't subscribe to your method.

Yooper, I sincerely, apologize if I came across that way. That was an honest statement, not a sarcastic one. I view you in the same light that I view some of the other real pros on the forum - the Dennys and Revvys of the world.

What you say about conditioning time not being needed due to great process makes complete sense. Since I am improving my own setup - I have temperature control now, and my next batch will be my first with oxygen - I will hopefully start to see some of this same benefit.

Again, my only intent here was to share my opinion on my why the OP should wait (opinions he asked for). I've discussed with others, yes, but in every post, I have attempted to establish that I don't think anyone is "wrong" for doing it differently than me.

Well put, Yoop.

OP-follow meticulous sanitation procedures, pitch an adequate amount of healthy yeast, control your ferment temps to the lower 1/3 of the yeast's recommended range, and if you're an all grain brewer, understand your source water's chemistry. You'll have shorter "conditioning" times and will have a better product.

Slay that mythical beer-aging beast who lurks on this board!

I always have a huge inner-battle going on with myself. I love to open that bottle of beer after it hits it's peak - usually somewhere between 3-5 weeks for mine. (I've only been brewing for a little over a year - with 12 batches under my belt). However, as much as I always tell myself I should wait longer, I always give in at the one week mark - to the minute. Just can't wait any longer. I never expect it to be perfect, and always try to wait at least 1 week (don't want to taste the priming sugar), and would prefer it slightly carbed. Most of the time they are under-carbed at 1 week - but I also LOVE to taste how the flavor came out (I also taste at bottling time), and to see how the aging process improves the flavor. A few days ago I broke my one-week rule, and opened a 6 day and 15 hour bottled Roasty RyePA. I was pleasantly surprised to find good carbonation, huge head, and awesome flavor (though still a little "rough" or "young" tasting). Experimentation and curiosity always gets the better of me. I say try it!!

And +1 to Yooper's 2-week point to reach delicousness! I'm not quite there yet (this last batch is my best tasting yet at 1 week, though...), but how will you ever know if your's are good to go sooner than 3 weeks if you don't try them!

I say just do it. Again.

What's the real risk?? One or two bottles that you don't get to enjoy later? It's worth it to see how beer can change flavor in a couple of weeks. You can make more.

Then when you see how much better it will probably be when it's really ready, AND you have a pipeline in place, you will not have a problem waiting.

I ALWAYS pour a glass from my taps even if it's not fully carbed. Who knows, maybe that first sip will be AWESOME?? It could happen.

That fist taste is probably not going to be too bad unless you are a NOOB who decided to throw everything including the kitchen sink in there, or fermented at 80 degrees.

Back