gingeryness!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewarillo

Reaction score
Hi, I have been following this recipe

http://bladedancer.hubpages.com/hub/Recipe-for-The-Ginger-Ninja

for a ginger beer that had a little more gingery flavour. Primary fermentation has finished and after smelling (and sipping a little) it doesn't appear very gingery..

First question is whether or not the flavour will become stronger after bottle conditioning and the second is whether or not there is a dry hopping equivalent but for ginger beer?

Was thinking about boiling another litre of ginger water as per recipe and adding that before bottling to achieve this, thoughts?

Any info would be much appreciated!

I had a lot of luck w/ a batch of ginger honey wit that I added ginger root in a mulsen bag during the first week of secondary and it turned out very nicely and the ginger matured over time to become nice and robust. So I guess that would be considered a ginger dry hop. Added about half a oz in the bag and just let it sit.

Hey. I have a similar situation. I'm brewing a Coopers GB and have added 400g more dextrose than asked for in the recipe. I'm nearing the end of my first week primary fermentation and just tasted it. It lacks the ginger bite Im after. Will "dry hopping" some fresh ginger at this point be a bad idea? Also thinking about added some honey for flavor. Can this stop my fermentation?

Adding the honey will actually help fermentation because it will give the yeast more food I just took out my airlock put in a pound of honey with a funnel that way their's as little air exposure to it as possible. As well I dry hopped with ginger root it's a more concentrated flavor than fresh ginger and did this during secondary you might throw in a packet of bru vigor just for good measure after you put in the honey it wont hurt the beer any. Turned out to be a really good brew once it had some age on it, mildly spicy with more of the honey on the mouth feel and nose.

Hi, so what i ended up doing was boiling 200g of grated ginger for about 10 minutes, then straining it through a muslin and adding that straight to the primary fermenter then wrapping some roughly chopped (and boiled) ginger in a muslin and adding it to the primary fermenter too. Turned out nice and gingery! honey shouldn't stop fermentation as its more sugars for the yeast to feed on, like skeez said, if anything it might make fermentation take a couple of extra days.

Back