Gingerbread stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crock_it_out

Reaction score
I've never used spices in a beer before. I have the stout recipe I want to use but I need help on the amount if spices. I'm planning on throwing them in the last 5mins

1.5 tsp ground ginger
1tsp cinnamon
.25 tsp clove
.25 tsp nutmeg

You think more or less for a 5 gal batch.

I've never come up with my own spice "recipe", and have only used amounts that have been given in other recipes or come in packs, so I can't say off the top of my head. But, I think a good way to see if you're in the ballpark is to compare to other recipes that are out there. It may take a bit of research and clicking around online, but you may find you are close, or are way off.

I just looked at one to get an idea:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_21_75&products_id=10240

AHS's Holiday Spice Pack has the same four spices in it as yours. They don't say in what proportion, though, just total amount (1/2 oz, which it says will "moderately spice" a 5 Gal batch). So you could add up the weights of your spice amounts and see if it's close to 1/2 oz or 14 g.

Here's a good reference for dry cooking weights and measures conversions (and liquid too):
http://www.kswheat.com/assets/Bakin...s 3/Baking measurements and substitutions.pdf

Crock_it_out said:
I've never used spices in a beer before. I have the stout recipe I want to use but I need help on the amount if spices. I'm planning on throwing them in the last 5mins 1.5 tsp ground ginger 1tsp cinnamon .25 tsp clove .25 tsp nutmeg You think more or less for a 5 gal batch.

It shows that the last three ingredients all weigh about 1/12 oz or 2.3 g per tsp. I don't see ground ginger on there, but you could measure it yourself or just estimate it's about the same as the others. So, adding them up you'll have:

3.45 g ginger
2.3 g cinnamon
0.58 g clove
0.58 g nutmeg

Totaling 6.9 g

Compare that to the 14 g in the AHS spice pack, which moderately spices 5 Gal, and you may decide you want more spice in yours, especially in a darker, roastier beer like a stout...

Thanks guys…my total weight of spices are 1oz…it's a bit more than you posted but it's going into a big stout

Crock_it_out said:
Thanks guys…my total weight of spices are 1oz…it's a bit more than you posted but it's going into a big stout

I guess the ground ginger must be a lot heavier than the other three (or the other weights on that table could be different from what you have)! I think that shows why it's always better to measure by weight instead of by volume. Sounds like you'll probably have plenty for your stout, then. Let us know how it tastes when done, so we can also learn whether that is a good amount, too much, or too little... Cheers!

Latest posts

Back