Ginger Meads...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomadic_Joel

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I posted a bit about this mead in another thread, but the conversation took another turn. I thought I would report to see if anyone has experience with ginger in meads. Below is my recipe...and comments? Suggestions? Racking? clearing?

NOTE: After reading all the "heated" debates on heating honey.....I said **** it. I could not bring myself to do it after smelling how wonderful it was. I believe in the natural antibiotics of honey...as well as the posting regarding many meaderies that dont boil. Also Lalvin 1118 is tough..and should out compete any other bacterial crap..
----------------------

2) Who you callin a Ginger?-Ginger Mead.

OG=1.115 --(1 gallon recipe)

**1.6 KG wild flower honey
**60 Grams peeled and grated ginger root -(boiled for 5 mins) and placed right in the primary...water and all.
**10 Chopped raisins
**1 tsp Yeast energizer-(DAP, B1...)
**1.5 cups Dextrose.
**Lalvin 1118 Yeasties.

Thank you all for your thoughts and experiences..

JB

Hard to criticize your recipe...

I've made Papazian's Barkshack Ginger Mead several times.

Mostly I just reduce the honey to 7lbs per batch and it comes out great.

I made a 5 gal batch of traditional mead a couple months ago. I took 1 gallon and added sliced ginger and 1 Serrano pepper to it...very sweet, hot and spicy...:D It's been sitting like that over 1 week...should be over the top hot by now. :ban:

Sorry yes, it is a 1 gallon batch. (edited)

Indeed the Papazian's Barkshack Ginger Mead was the inspiration for this recipe. I was just afraid of using too much ginger when I reduced it down to a 1 gallon batch.

That's a lot of ginger, but you may actually have a milder ginger flavour than expected from this amount for two reasons, 1: You boiled it for 5 minutes. 2: you added it to primary. Boiling tends to "soften" the ginger flavour profile, and primary tends to weaken the flavours it's acting on. You might consider adding freshly grated or sliced ginger to your secondary in the future, you'll be able to use less & get a better flavour profile for the ginger that way. Regards, GF.

Yes I have heard about adding to the secondary...Interesting. When I reduced the recipe, I even subtracted a little more from the ginger to make sure i was not using too much. I wanted to boil simply for the fact that ginger root is freaking dirty..lol..just wanted to make sure anything living in there was dead.

I will have to read ore about secondary fermentation and additives! Thanks everyone!

Necro-post...

I tried making a mead once. It came out awful. Not sure what I did wrong. Let it secondary for a year.

Anyway, I tried to make the famous barkshack ginger mead, and recall vividly the pages where CP details all the devoted fans that take up mead making just to make this tasty drink.

One of my employees brought in some honey and said her husband has a bunch of hives and It suddenly dawned on me that this was a golden opportunity to give mead another chance.

So I see that after perusing several threads, there is a reference to a great recipe here, I would really like a strong gingery flavor I think, and explicit instructions would be great along with that aforementioned recipe. Where can I find that?

Thanks!

Ok, there are two ginger mead recipe's in this book mentioned above. They are as follows:

Melimiguelenium Ginger Mead
Originally brewed for the new millenium with Melissa and Miguel, the mead wasn't ready for a year and a half. Twas a long wait, but so was the millenium. We can't be sure about what this century will bring, but for sure this medium-sweet mead with the zest of ginger will help celebrate every single day by just knowing that there is a stash waiting to be enjoyed. Worth making a double batch, this is a fine as the finest liqueur and ages supremely.

Ingredients for 5 gallons (19l):
17 1/1/2 lbs. (7.9 kg) light honey
3/4 lb. (340g) freshly grated gingerroot
1/4oz. (7 g) yeast extract (optional)
1/4 tsp. (1 g) Irish Moss powder
1 oz. (28 g) dried champagne yeast or Pris de Mousse wine yeast rehydrated in preboiled 105-degree F (41 C) water for 10 minutes before pitching.

O.G.: 1.126-1.130 (29.5-30)
F.G.: 1.020-1.035 (5-9)

Add the honey, grated gingerroot and Irish moss to 1 1/2 gallons (5.7 l) of water and bring to boil for 15 minutes. Skim the coagulated meringuelike foam off the surface (this is albumin-type protein). Be careful, honey worts will boil over just like beer worts. Leave the lid ajar and monitor the onset of boiling very carefully.

Transfer the hot mead "wort" with the grated gingerroot to a closed fermenter system and 1 1/2 gallons (5.7 l) of cold water. Seal the carboy briefly and shake the contents to aerate the "wort." If necessary, add cold water to make 5 gallons. Glass carboys are ideal for mead fermentation. Rehydrate the yeast and pitch when temperature is below 80 degrees F (27 C). Ferment for 1 month, then siphone the mead while avoiding the gingerroot. Discard the "spent" gingerroot. Continue to ferment for an additional 1 to 2 months or until the mead begins to clear. Then siphon the mead into another fermenter leaving the yeast behind. Continue to ferment to completion. Let it sit, then bottle when mead has cleared. It is ready to drink as soon as it has cleared.

Barkshack Sparkling Gingermead
A twentieth-century legend. Unlike traditional mead, Barkshack Gingermead and its variations are brewed with less honey per gallon, happily resulting in a dry, effervescently clear beverage with a 9-12 percent alcoholic sparkle, reminiscent of white champagne, or more accurately, like a dry (not sweet), alcoholic "ginger ale." Barkshack (Ginger) Honey Mead will take many brewers and friends by storm. In fact, 99 percent of the people who have tasted Barkshack Gingermead (or variations thereof) have pursued it as if it were a love affair. There are hundreds of brewers today who began their brewing endeavors because of the thrill of Barkshack Gingermead. It is wonderful. It is glorious. It is well worth waiting for. And wait you must.

Barkshack Gingermead is a brew that should be allowed to mature in a secondary fermentor for 1 to 1 1/2 months before bottling. Then, depending on ingredients, it needs to mature for 3 months to a full year in order to reach its full taste potential and to allow immature flavors to disappear. Patience is indeed a virtue that, in this case, is well rewarded.

The Recipand procedures for brewing the basic Barkshack Gingermead are simple and should make sense to even the beginning homebrewer.

Points that are emphasized in the brewing of this recipe or cariations are:
1. Honey should be boiled with water.
2. Champagne yeasts should be used for the more alcoholic versions of mead (percent alcohol in exess of 12 percent); otherwise, lager or ale yeast will suffice.
3. Slow primary fermentation is sometimes experienced with mead fermentation. Under no circumstances should the mead remain in an open primary fermenter for more than 7 days. Use a secondary fermenter with a fermentation lock.
4. Pasteurize all fruit that you may use. THis can be done by adding fruit to the hor sparged or partially strainged "wort." Do not boil the fruit as this may sometimes cause unsettling (pectin) haze.
5. When adding spice or herbs to the mead as flavoring, prepare a strong fresh "tea" and add it at bottling time; flavors will be cleaner and fresher.

Ingredients for 5 gallons (19 l):
7lbs. (3.2 kg) light honey
1 1/2 lbs. (680 g) corn sugar
1-6 oz. (28-168 g) freshly grated gingerroot
1 tsp. (4 g) gypsum
1 tsp. (4 g) citric acid
3 tsp. (15 g) yeast nutrient (available at homebrew supply stores), OR 1/4 oz. (7 g) yeast extract
1/4 tsp. (1 g) Irish Moss powder
1-6 lbs. (450 g-2.7 kg) Crushed fruitsuch as sour cherries, blackberries, raspberries (my favorite), blueberries, rhubarb, grapes, grape concentrate, cranberries, chokecherries, etc. (all optional)
3 oz. (84 g) lemongrass or other herb or spice flavorings--but go easy on the cloves, cinnamon, mint, hops. Lemon or orange peel is also nice (all optional).
1 oz. ( 28 g) champagne yeast
3/4 c. (175 ml) corn sugar (for bottling)

O.G.: 1.060-1.066 (15-16)
F.G.: .992-.996 (below 0)

Hey, now! Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.
Boil for 15 minutes 1 1/2 gallons (5.7 l) of water, the honey, corn sugar, gingerroot, gypsum, citric acid, Irish moss and yeast nutrient. Turn the heat off. If you are going to add fruit, then take a small strainer and fish out as much of the ginger root shavings as you can, but don't worry. Then add your crushed fruit to the pot of hot wort and let it steep for 10-15 minutes.

Pour the entire contents of the "wort" (unsparged if fruit is added) into a plastic open primary fermenter and add about 3 gallons (11.5 l) of cold water (or enough to make 5 gallons [19 l]). When cooled to 70-78 defrees F (21-26 C), pitch the yeast.

After specific gravity as fallen to 1.020 (5), or within 7 days, whichever comes first, rack the brew into a secondary fermenter. If you use fruit, remote fermented fruit with a sanitized strainer, or carefully manipulate the siphon hose so that no fruit (or very little) passes to the secondary fermenter.

Age 1-1 1/2 months in the secondary fermenter.

Bottle with 3/4 cup (175 ml) of corn sugar. If herb, spice or tea flavoring is desired, add a strong strained tea to the finished mead at bottling time. In this manner, you may add the "tea" halfway through the bottling process, enabling you to bottle 2 flavors of mead!

The flavor of mead will change with age. Harsh and sharp flavors will mellow. A tasting after 6 months will give some indication of your results. But a sparkling cold Barkshack Gingermead of 1 year or more -- now that's heaven.

Citations:
Papazian, Charlie. The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. 3rd. William Morrow Paperbacks, 2003. 340-345.

Please forgive any typos, this was very long to type up and its is late here and I have had quite a bit of mead already tonight. :drunk:

As a side note, charlie suggests straining off any fruit, I would go ahead and up this and really suggest that you simply add all fruits/ginger to a nylon bag for easy removal. Hope this helps!

Re Mead making......

Experienced beer brewer seeks a good tried and tested 1 gallon ginger mead recipe, similar to Papazian's Barshack ginger mead.
Any/all help greatly appreciated; please don't forward any recipe unless you've actually brewed it yourself.

I brewed this myself and it has come out well. I actually still have it in secondary. This month makes month 8 I believe. I was actually thinking of racking and back sweetening this next week. We will see and if I have the bottles I may just bottle it too once the back sweetening honey clears up. My batch was 5 gallon but I will translate to 1 gallon for ya:

1 gallon ginger mead

2 lb honey (Plus additional to bring gravity to 1.084)
1tbs of powdered ginger
10 golden raisins torn in half
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
Yeast (lalvin k1v-1116)

Rehydrate yeast per package directions. mix all up and aerate well. pitch yeast. Let this ferment dry and clear. Then rack onto the following:

1/2 lb of fresh ginger

The ginger should not be pealed and just sliced into 1/4" thick pieces and then smashed to splinter it up some.

Here at month 8 it is nice and gingery with a hot ginger after taste. I suspect it will be tons better after back sweetening. I actually added the ginger at about month 5 into it. But I bet 30 - 60 days on the fresh ginger is all you need. I am just extra lazy with my brew and have not gotten around to racking again.

I can't understand why people fuss about ginger so much. We made a one-gallon ginger mead with three pounds of honey and four ounces of ginger. That seems to be four times the recommended amount of ginger.

Maybe it has to do with the type of ginger. I imagine powdered ginger is different than whole-root ginger. Maybe we should specify what type we are using. Our mead had four ounces of fresh root purchased from a local market. It was added to primary. The final product was very nice.

Thanks folks!

I'm finally getting around to making my mead tomorrow.

I think I am just going to do a straight up mead and see about flavor additions in the secondary, possibly even after fermentation is complete.

I am definitely adding some ginger, probably a combo of root and powder to the secondary.

thanks
TD

Back