Ginger Ale turns Pink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groo

Reaction score
I've been trying to make a very lemon heavy ginger ale for a couple of weeks and am getting close to the flavor I like. The problem I'm having is that the solution keeps turning pink instead of bright yellow.

I'm using a lemon:ginger ratio of slightly more than 2:1.

I peel the ginger and blend it with water in a blender. Strain the juice out then repeat this process. At this point the ginger juice is a murky yellow.

Next I add the lemon juice, ginger juice and sugar together. At this point I've stirred to dissolve the sugar and also heated to dissolve the sugar. Both methods have resulted in a pink ginger ale about 30 minutes after mixing together.

It's actually really pretty but I want it to be yellow or at least brownish. The pink makes you think you'll taste berries or something.

Anyone know what's going on or what I can do to keep it from turning pink?

Yeah, the citric acid and sugar are causing a chemical reaction in the ginger to turn it pink. It's basically the same process used to make gari (pickled sushi ginger).

Have you tried using lemon zest along with your juice rather than just straight juice? You'll get a more lemon flavor and a little yellow color from the zest. You can probably cut your juice level and maybe keep more of a yellow color. You do sacrifice some tartness that way, though.

Back