Ginger ale seems carbonated but tastes flat - help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruth

Reaction score
New to soda making and just tried to make ginger ale with yeast the other day. After about 24 hours the plastic 2L bottle felt pretty firm so I stuck it in the fridge. Then later that day I tried it - upon opening the bottle there was quite a bit of gas escaping (to the point that it overflowed a bit) but when I drank it it tasted quite flat. I see little bubbles clinging to the side of my glass, but it just doesn't taste fizzy like store-bought soda. Did I not let it ferment enough? Should I take the bottle out of the fridge and try to let it ferment some more? Or is this what I should expect from homemade soda?

Sounds to me like the gas didn't fully diffuse into the liquid before you opened it. Note that once CO2 is produced by the yeast, it's not instantly incorporated in the liquid. The gas will be pushed into the headspace in the bottle first, and then it gradually integrates. This is why even when force-carbing a keg, you have to wait a few days to get the right carbonation level.

It sounds like you have enough gas from fermentation, so I'd leave it in the fridge for a day or two and give it another try. A few hours isn't long enough for the gas to mix in properly.

Thanks smagee for the reply. I let the ginger ale sit for a couple more days in the fridge before trying it again, and it was a little more fizzy but still not much. I'll do what you suggest next time I make it, and after the bottle feels hard put it in the fridge a few days before opening it.

I let my Root Beer ferment for four days in my cool dark closet before I stuck it in the fridge. It was heavily carbed.

Back