Gin, and one drink only. What to choose?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or extra dry gin martinis with double olives. It's cold gin time again...you know it'll always win! & speaking of which, here it is from Alive! 1975. I still have the LP!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love a Gin and Tonic on a on a Hot Day. Not sure 70 qualifies as Hot, but you do want to keep the malaria from the mosquitoes away

I just carbed up a keg of ginger ale (grated ginger root, limes and lemons, brown sugar, and water). It's amazing with gin and half a lime...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Lately I've been eschewing the traditional G&T w/ Lime in favor with a Hendricks Gin G&T with cucumber.

The Hendricks gin is very piney tasting (my brother says it "tastes like christmas"), I'm guessing from using a lot more juniper than usual, and the cucumber goes with it surprisingly well.

I used to be a huge G&T fan but got burnt out on it, but I'm digging this updated recipe.

Hands down the best gin I have come across. It's fairly spendy, but it's amazing with a G&T. Light on the T.

It's also super delicious in a martini. The cucumber in it really does go well with it. If it wasn't so darn expensive it would be my staple.

Otherwise Bombay sapphire is my choice.

Check out some Hendricks tho yoopnasty!!

Sent from myPhone

Hands down the best gin I have come across. It's fairly spendy, but it's amazing with a G&T. Light on the T.

It's also super delicious in a martini. The cucumber in it really does go well with it. If it wasn't so darn expensive it would be my staple.

Otherwise Bombay sapphire is my choice.

Check out some Hendricks tho yoopnasty!

Bombay Sapph was always my choice as well, or New Amsterdam if I was on a budget, but Hendricks is the only one I've bought in a while now. Great stuff. Won't turn down Bombay though.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

i only stock 3 gins:

New Amsterdam - G&T, tiki drinks, general mixing.
Rehorst Gin (from great lakes distillery in Milwaukee) - martinis, negronis, premium mixing or just on the rocks
Ransom Old Tom - Tom Collins, martinez.

Do a French 75 and replace the champagne with some of your sparkling wines. Come on you have to have some wine kicking around. I leave out the juice or simple syrup most of the time. Call it a Yoop 75.

Bombay G&T, with a quarter lime squeezed and dropped in. Oh, and Schweppes tonic, not Canada Dry or store brand...big differences, personal taste.

A long time ago, in the Navy and on an R&R ships' party, I stumbled(?) on gin and grapefruit juice (canned, government issue, unknown why it was brought to the party). Amazed at the taste, and pretty pleased with myself, an ol' salt signalman put me in my place: "Aw hell, that's not new! Ya salt the rim and you've got a Salty Dog!"

Haven't thought of that in a long time. I'll have to try it with good grapefruit juice.

i only stock 3 gins:

New Amsterdam - G&T, tiki drinks, general mixing.
Rehorst Gin (from great lakes distillery in Milwaukee) - martinis, negronis, premium mixing or just on the rocks
Ransom Old Tom - Tom Collins, martinez.

I just made some G&Ts with New Amsterdam- it was really great. I still like Beefeater better, but the NA was about 1/2 the price so I was very happy!

They had a great crisp refreshing flavor, and it was about 85 degrees and humid, so it was awesome. It disappeared WAY too fast out of my glass, though. I'm pretty sure I had a leaky glass.

Bombay G&T, with a quarter lime squeezed and dropped in. Oh, and Schweppes tonic, not Canada Dry or store brand...big differences, personal taste.

A long time ago, in the Navy and on an R&R ships' party, I stumbled(?) on gin and grapefruit juice (canned, government issue, unknown why it was brought to the party). Amazed at the taste, and pretty pleased with myself, an ol' salt signalman put me in my place: "Aw hell, that's not new! Ya salt the rim and you've got a Salty Dog!"

Haven't thought of that in a long time. I'll have to try it with good grapefruit juice.

I just made some G&Ts with New Amsterdam- it was really great. I still like Beefeater better, but the NA was about 1/2 the price so I was very happy!

They had a great crisp refreshing flavor, and it was about 85 degrees and humid, so it was awesome. It disappeared WAY too fast out of my glass, though. I'm pretty sure I had a leaky glass.
I used Kutskova Vodka, distilled 5 times in Mosco. Comes in a coffin flask bottle. And pink grapefruit juice. Oh...baby!...somethin' 'bout her ain't exactly clear...somethin 'bout the way she makes me feel! Baby please...baby please, i wanna drive you home! That's about how you feel after a couple of those the way I mix'em! :drunk::rockin:

Well, if anybody still cares, I'm totally into G&T, with a squeeze of lime.

The weather was quite warm here for about 3 weeks, and a G&T with fresh lime has been awesome.

I bought more New Amsterdam for these, as it makes a great G&T, without a high price. I paid about $17 for 1.75 liters, and have a $5 rebate. Much cheaper than my favorite Beefeater, and even better in the G&T. I'll save the $$$$ Beefeater for martinis.

yeah, new amsterdam is pretty sweet stuff. if you're feeling a little bit adventurous, throw together a tom collins:

3/4 oz lemon juice
3/4 oz simple syrup
2 oz gin (new amsterdam will work - Ransom Old Tom is really what's called for here)

build in a highball, top with club soda.

yeah, new amsterdam is pretty sweet stuff. if you're feeling a little bit adventurous, throw together a tom collins:

3/4 oz lemon juice
3/4 oz simple syrup
2 oz gin (new amsterdam will work - Ransom Old Tom is really what's called for here)

build in a highball, top with club soda.

Yes, I like that too, except for the simple syrup. I found tonic online with no high fructose corn syrup or sugar, so that's what I'm using (I'm a anti-sugar Nazi). It's just tonic water, with no sugar added at all. I have another kind that comes in a concentrate so I can use just a little (there is a little bit of fructose in it) and top up with soda water. I have club soda, sort of, which is just carbonated tap water.

I'm also using a mix of lemons and limes with tons of ice and tonic/soda water blends- and it's great. When I use just club soda, I add a small dash of bitters- but I really like that quinine bite.

What about honey?

No, not for me. I have a friend who gave me a bit of honeycomb with honey in it, and I may use it at some point but I don't eat simple sugars as a rule. No ketchup, BBQ sauce, orange juice, packaged foods, etc. Pretty much everything packaged has sugar or some sort of sweetener added, even most yogurt, so I don't buy it.

Alright. Tonight is probably the last warm day/evening of the 2014 year.

We've totally gotten into G&Ts when it's warm.

I've been loving 1 oz lime juice (fresh squeezed, of course), 2 oz gin, 4 oz tonic, tons of ice in the glass and top up with soda water. I'm making them right now and we'll sit on the porch and watch the sun go down.

I've gone through about 5 bottles of gin this summer. :ban:

when I used to drink gin I would drink it with limeade and a little bit of tonic to bubble it up. I liked them a little too much one night, about 6 years ago, and I haven't been able to drink a straight gin only drink since. :drunk:

Bourbon and ginger beer, however, is a totally different story! :cross:

Back