Giant stirplate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramloese

Reaction score
I'm making a 5 gallon yeast starter, but normal stir plates won't do for this.

I'm making it in standard brewing plastic bucket.

How can I stir this starter?

Do you own a Bass boat with a trolling motor or have a buddy that works in the paint department at Lowes? Sorry.... couldn't resist..... Not sure how helpful this will be... but you might consider putting the lid on the bucket with a blow off tube and hooking up an aquarium pump w/ an inline filter to provide oxygen..... you would need to manually swirl the starter in the bucket as often as possible. It won't give you optimum results but I suspect it would be adequate. Five gallons of yeast starter in a plastic brewing bucket could get messy at High Krausen... What is your pitch rate going to be for the 5 gallon starter?

Do you own a Bass boat with a trolling motor or have a buddy that works in the paint department at Lowes? Sorry.... couldn't resist..... Not sure how helpful this will be... but you might consider putting the lid on the bucket with a blow off tube and hooking up an aquarium pump w/ an inline filter to provide oxygen..... you would need to manually swirl the starter in the bucket as often as possible. It won't give you optimum results but I suspect it would be adequate. Five gallons of yeast starter in a plastic brewing bucket could get messy at High Krausen... What is your pitch rate going to be for the 5 gallon starter?

Im thinking about 5-7 White Labs wet packs.

The bucket is a 10 gallon bucket, so I think it'll be ok.

Why not use your small stir plate?

Put the bucket on two pieces of wood, or whatever else creates a gap big enough that the stir plate can sit below the bucket without getting smashed by its weight and use it.

The liquid won't move as fast as in a smaller vessel but it will definitely move!

Isn't a 5g starter called a batch of session beer?

To answer your question, I wonder about using a box fax as the base. Finding a stir bar big enough is going to be a challenge, and magnets powerful enough to pull through the bucket.
But I think @yeahfairly is right- an aquarium pump with a sanitary filter is probably the easiest and cheapest solution. Or talk to a friendly local pro about getting a pull from his or her fermentor.

Or get the Maelstrom. If making starters and needing larger ones (up to 5G) you wont regret it. Its one bad mutha!

Latest posts

Back