Getting started with starters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMeans

Reaction score
I have done a little digging around on here for information about making yeast starters. One of my biggest questions that I have not been able to get a clear answer on is this; what size starter should I make? I have built a stir plate out of old computer parts, it works....usually. I am sure I could use a growler to make a starter in but i am wearing of heating liquids in one. So I am at the point where I need to buy a flask and stir bar. The stir bar, I feel will be dictated by flask size but I am trying to decide what size to go with. As it sits I currently make 5-6 gallon batches, don't plan on upgrading to 10 gallon batches anytime soon but I don't want to buy a flask and in 6 months decide that it is inferior, nor do I want something that will be over kill.

So should I go will 1000ml or 2000ml and what would be the pros and cons of both?

This question may have been posed before but I would like to hear the answer straight from the horses mouth.

I would get at least a 2000ml flask. It'll give you the room you need to make most high gravity beers you'll want to make. I don't heat my flasks on the stove. I sanitize and dump the wort into them after it's cooled. I know they are made for that, but I just can't bring myself to put a hot flask in cold water to chill the wort.

I'd recommend the 2L flask.

I brew 5.5 gal batches and I don't use my 1L flasks anymore. The 2L flask is big enough to make starters for most beers and the larger size provides more head space to help prevent boil overs.

I have a 2L and 3L flask already for my 5-6 gallon batches. Which I use depends on what size starter I need to make, which is determined by the yeast and the projected OG of the brew. I use the Mr. Malty site to determine what size starter to make. It's done well for me so far. For example, last night I brewed. I made a starter on Thursday evening (I also have a stir plate setup) going with a ~2.5L starter size (with some beer nutrient added). It was finished by Friday afternoon, ready for Friday evening's brewing. After pitching the yeast slurry (I decanted the excess spent wort from on top of the yeast cake) it was in full swing in under 7 hours from pitching.

IF you're thinking of 10 gallon batches, depending on the OG, you might want to look to get a 5L flask IF your stir plate can handle it. Or, make another stir plate and have a pair of 2L or 3L (or a combination of both) for bigger brews.

IMO, a 1L flask is a bit pointless. At least for me. Especially since you can easily make a 1L starter in either a 2L or 3L flask. If I was to do it again, I'd probably just get the 3L flask and not bother with the 2L.

+1 on the 2000 mL flask. You can boil in it, lab glass (borosilicate) can withstand temp changes and all that, but unless you use some fermcap or something, you'll probably have a boilover... damhikt....

Trust me, you'll appreciate the extra room a 2L flask provides when you're doing big IIPAs and the like

2L is about perfect for anything other than lagers. I've got a 1L and it gets used primarily as a measuring cup... Extra headspace and ability to do a 2L starter far outweigh any benefit, that I cant come up with, for the 1L.

If you get into lagers, I use the 1 gallon jugs on my stirplate and they work fine. Cheaper and more sturdy than the 5L erlenmeyer.

Back