Getting some Riwaka Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreddyMar3

Reaction score
MY brother in law is a huge hophead and after reading the description on Riwaka, he felt obligated to buy some and have me brew up an IPA for him. He was only able to get 3.5 oz worth. They are somewhere in transit from Australia to here but we have no idea when they'll arrive since there is no tracking on the shipment.

At $6 per ounce, I decided to load them all at the end and in dry hop. How does this look?

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size (fermenter): 4.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 4 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 8.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 61.9 IBUs
Estimated ABV: 6.6%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Mash: 60 min at 150F

Ingredients:
Amt Name
8 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM)
1.75 oz Amarillo [8.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Riwaka [5.25 %] - Boil 2.0 min
1.00 oz Riwaka [0.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0
1.50 oz Riwaka [5.25 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

I'm jealous... i was trying to get Riwaka for my last IPA and couldn't track any down! Beautiful hop!

Recipe looks good. I started moving all of my bittering additions to FWH additions and i really feel it's added a more "refined" bittering without some of the harshness that can come from early boil hopping. I still get roughly the same IBU contribution.

I'm curious... what yeast are you going to use? You going for real dry finish or for a more balanced or malty/sweet finish?

I'm jealous... i was trying to get Riwaka for my last IPA and couldn't track any down! Beautiful hop!

Recipe looks good. I started moving all of my bittering additions to FWH additions and i really feel it's added a more "refined" bittering without some of the harshness that can come from early boil hopping. I still get roughly the same IBU contribution.

I'm curious... what yeast are you going to use? You going for real dry finish or for a more balanced or malty/sweet finish?

Just logged back on bc I realized i forgot to add yeast (minor detail). was thinking just going with 1056 but I have been keeping a culture of conan so might try that after i get some more experience with it. Not too dry but not too sweet. I think the crystal addition will achieve a baseline of sweetness with any yeast, however.

Also, good call on the FWH instead of boil. I haven't been bothering with it since lately since I've been doing BIAB and not fly sparging but might as well give it a shot. I just hate to miss my pre boil grav and be stuck with the hops in there.

Back