Getting ready for my first cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psnydez86

Reaction score
After re-watching the BTV hard cider episode I've got a hankering for some hard cider!! I'm going the cheap route, store bought pasteurized apple cider, lavlin dry white wine yeast, light brown sugar to boost the ABV. In the episode Chris uses yeast energizer and something else before pitching the yeast. I can go over to a local winery for the different wine/cider chemicals but I wonder if their necessary? I plan on cold crashing in secondary to drop out as much yeast as possible and back sweeten with apple juice concentrate (I'm gonna freeze an apple juice bottle like on the episode). I plan on kegging the cider to possibly carbonate it lightly then will probably bottle it with my beer gun.

Any thoughts/advice are greatly appreciated. Cider seems way too easy.

Ive got one sitting in primary for 2 months and im getting ready to cold crash mine. I also plan on kegging it and beer gun it as well. Im not using a concentrate however i will be adding some additional organic cider when i keg it, 2 qts. Going to see how it will taste with non concentrate. Now only thing i was told was to use a yeast killer before you keg or bottle if you introduce conentrate. Reason, the yeast left over will consume new introduced fermentables. Only think i haven't figuted out was how much co2 to put in. Psi at 44 degrees. Is it the same as ales?

Ive got one sitting in primary for 2 months and im getting ready to cold crash mine. I also plan on kegging it and beer gun it as well. Im not using a concentrate however i will be adding some additional organic cider when i keg it, 2 qts. Going to see how it will taste with non concentrate. Now only thing i was told was to use a yeast killer before you keg or bottle if you introduce conentrate. Reason, the yeast left over will consume new introduced fermentables. Only think i haven't figuted out was how much co2 to put in. Psi at 44 degrees. Is it the same as ales?

What's the need to cold crash that? it's bound to have fermented out fully, I know mine has in one month and cleared.

eluterio said:
Only think i haven't figuted out was how much co2 to put in. Psi at 44 degrees. Is it the same as ales?

Yes the psi would be the same scale as ales but ciders are usually not as highly carbed as most beers are.

Latest posts

Back