Getting off stubborn pin lock post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodell

Welltown Brewery
Reaction score
I have just acquired some used pin lock legs from a guy who had some extras. My problem is the pin lock post are practically welded on...i have tried everything to get them, as followed:

Using a wrench
Socket wrench
Adding some lighter fluid to try to loosen them
Using an impact driver with a socket adapter to give it more torque
Using a touch to heat up the post to expand, throwing cold water on them to contract them (This can help to loosen gunk, but alas was unsuccesful)

Anybody else have any ideas?

I have just acquired some used pin lock legs from a guy who had some extras. My problem is the pin lock post are practically welded on...i have tried everything to get them, as followed:

Using a wrench
Socket wrench
Using a touch to heat up the post to expand, throwing cold water on them to contract them (This can help to loosen gunk, but alas was unsuccesful)

Hi. I also use pin locks, and it seems you've tried most of the tricks. The only other one I'd suggest is removing the lid and place the keg upside down in a bucket (or your kettle) of very hot water (or boiling.) Leave it in the water for a while to give it a chance to get into the threads of the posts. I'm betting there's either dried soda syrup or beer on the threads that's acting like glue. Since the o-ring that seals the post is under the pickup/gas tube, the hot water should be able to seep into the threads and loosen the "glue." Hope this helps. Ed
:mug:

Turn them the other way?

In all seriousness, if none of the above methods worked, maybe a looong soak in kroil/penetrating oil might help. I'd have replacement O-rings ready because if the torch didn't get them, the penetrating oil might.

Also your method of heating and cooling is kind of backwards. This method will expand the post and threads and then shrink the post onto the still hot threads.

+1 ^^^ on getting new o-rings. Since these kegs are used, and you've already had problems getting the posts off, I'd recommend replacing the poppets too to ensure you have absolutely gas tight kegs. I got these poppets from Amazon. Be sure to order the poppets from NY Brew Supply (same cost, free shipping...look to the right side when you go to the page,) the others have really weak springs. I also ordered new o-rings from Amazon. Be sure to use the correct ones. Pinlock posts use a different size than ball-lock. Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made the mistake of using old o-rings. I already have a set ready I just need to get these post off. I do think sitting it upside down in a bucket could work.

Using a wrench
Socket wrench

Creatively build a slide-hammer to yank on the posts a bit. You'd probably need to make something that will slip under two sides of the bottom of the post, like a wheel puller kind of thing.

Hi. I also use pin locks, and it seems you've tried most of the tricks. The only other one I'd suggest is removing the lid and place the keg upside down in a bucket (or your kettle) of very hot water (or boiling.) Leave it in the water for a while to give it a chance to get into the threads of the posts. I'm betting there's either dried soda syrup or beer on the threads that's acting like glue. Since the o-ring that seals the post is under the pickup/gas tube, the hot water should be able to seep into the threads and loosen the "glue." Hope this helps. Ed

+1

I bought some pin locks that had the same problem And this is what I did to loosen them.

@jodell . When you said a socket, did you use a pin lock socket (the kind with grooves for the pins?) If not, and you're the least bit handy, don't spend big $ on a "special" pin lock socket. Get a cheap 13/16" six point deep well socket and grind out your own. The CO2 pins are 180⁰, and the liquid pins are 120⁰. You can use one pin slot as common. Hope this helps. Ed

Pin socket.jpg

@jodell. When you said a socket, did you use a pin lock socket (the kind with grooves for the pins?) If not, and you're the least bit handy, don't spend big $ on a "special" pin lock socket. Get a cheap 13/16" six point deep well socket and grind out your own. The CO2 pins are 180⁰, and the liquid pins are 120⁰. You can use one pin slot as common. Hope this helps. Ed

Yes it's a pin lock socket

Currently it is soaking in just boiled water and oxi-clean. I'll see if I can get any results after I get off work tonight

Man, I can't recommend anything if an impact wrench didn't do it. Well, maybe a better impact wrench...

I wonder if the previous owner used threadlock on it to keep it from leaking.

Man, I can't recommend anything if an impact wrench didn't do it. Well, maybe a better impact wrench...

I wonder if the previous owner used threadlock on it to keep it from leaking.

I will say it's an impact driver with a wrench attachment (not as strong as an impact wrench) but should still be enough tourque.

Righty tighty, lefty loosey?

Just kidding. Did you try using a pipe on your socket wrench for added leverage?

I have not tried that...i can tell you I have put enough torque to actually bend the post crooked.

Also I have ripped some of the pins, so I'm at the point I need to get new post anyways, I just have to get them off first

I'm thinking about taking an angle grinder, cutting the tops of the post, making sure some oil gets in the thread, and yank them off.

I'm thinking about taking an angle grinder, cutting the tops of the post, making sure some oil gets in the thread, and yank them off.

That's a good idea. The vibration might loosen up some grime in the threads too. Might be easier to just push the poppet down and squirt some penetrator in it though.

Or put a pipe wrench on it, and hit the wrench with a big hammer. That's worked countless times for me at work. Not with kegs, but you know...

You're gonna replace them anyway.

That's a good idea. The vibration might loosen up some grime in the threads too. Might be easier to just push the poppet down and squirt some penetrator in it though.

I have tried that

Or put a pipe wrench on it, and hit the wrench with a big hammer. That's worked countless times for me at work. Not with kegs, but you know...

You're gonna replace them anyway.

I do need to try to smack it with a hammer, might work.

Well it has been one hell of a match but so far the score is 3-odell 1-pinlock keg.

In other words, I have 3 post off, one more to go. Letting it soak in penetrating oil longer

Just because I'm the curious sort, what caused the threads to seize that badly? Ed

Stainless is notorious for seizing,but better known as "galling" of the threads, and anything will contribute to it, like age, soda syrup, ( crystallizes), improper torquing procedures, etc...

Stainless is nice, but it has it's faults.:D

I had a pin lock keg with a post that would not come off, no matter how much struggling I did with a socket wrench, hand-held impact driver, etc. I took it to a local auto mechanic (with the special socket) and they were kind enough to use their pneumatic impact wrench to take it off. Took them about 0.1 seconds. Just make sure the keg is not pressurized, obviously.

I had a pin lock keg with a post that would not come off, no matter how much struggling I did with a socket wrench, hand-held impact driver, etc. I took it to a local auto mechanic (with the special socket) and they were kind enough to use their pneumatic impact wrench to take it off. Took them about 0.1 seconds. Just make sure the keg is not pressurized, obviously.

I work at lowes and we have some of those. I go in tomorrow and they said I can use the battery powered one and take it out to my car to get it off. All I need of is that last one and I have new kegs! MORE BEER!!!

I work at lowes and we have some of those. I go in tomorrow and they said I can use the battery powered one and take it out to my car to get it off. All I need of is that last one and I have new kegs! MORE BEER!!!

By all means, try a battery-powered impact wrench. But I have one and it was not sufficient. A pneumatic wrench is a whole different level of torque... will be several times better than even a high-end battery powered tool.

By all means, try a battery-powered impact wrench. But I have one and it was not sufficient. A pneumatic wrench is a whole different level of torque... will be several times better than even a high-end battery powered tool.

I will probably take it to an auto mechanic next..however, I work at Lowes so it is a free, easy option that will be better than what I have already

Back