Getting krausen but no fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamaien

Reaction score
This one seems to have stumped readers on another forum so I figured I'd ask here.

I brewed a Vienna lager last Sunday and pitched 2 packs of rehydrated 34/70 at about 48-49F. By Thursday the temp had risen to 50-51F and there were still no bubbles in the airlock so I opened it up and saw a big healthy looking krausen. Don't trust the airlock, right? So Sunday, one week from brew day, I still hadn't seen the airlock move. My paranoia got the better of me and I pulled a gravity sample. It hadn't dropped at all, still around 1.051, but the krausen was a good inch high.

The people on the other forum suggested that my reading was incorrect or I was not adjusting for temperature. The other suggestion was that the chunky bubbly foam on top of my beer was not actually krausen.

I tested these two hypotheses and here are the results: http://imgur.com/a/qGksk

Everything seems to be calibrated and that's definitely krausen on top of my beer. I brew 2-3 times a month so I'm fairly familiar with my equipment and I'm sure my original reading was correct.

Any ideas what's going on with my fermentation?

You saw krausen so the yeast is beginning to do its' work. The yeast was pitched at a lower than normal temperature even for a cold pitch. Normal cold pitching results in a longer lag time. Give it 7 days before you start worrying. Hold the temperature 51° to 53°.
Until active fermentation begins.

Latest posts

Back