Getting back in the saddle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swifty

Reaction score
It's been several years since I have made anything. I've brewed many styles and made both kit and scratch wines.

A friend and I want to make a big volume of mead. Probably 15 gallons, maybe more.

Please post links to your favorite mead and why.

Thank you all in advance.

Swifty

look at Brays One Month Mead (BOMM) pinned at the top of the forum, or look into TOSNA for nutrient additions and yeast health. The process makes it taste better and drinkable much faster. But those are just nutrient and degassing schedules. I’d recommend getting a lot of a varietal honey to do a traditional, and then split and play with different fruits. You’ll need roughly 2.5-3.5lbs per gallon, depending on the abv and if you want a sweet mead or dry.
As for my favorite recipe so far, https://www.denardbrewing.com/blog/post/berry-bomm/

But BOMM is a protocol rather than a specific mead. I agree with Seamonkey84 that you might try a trad made from an interesting varietal honey - Tupelo, for example. Tupelo makes an incredible mead.

But BOMM is a protocol rather than a specific mead. I agree with Seamonkey84 that you might try a trad made from an interesting varietal honey - Tupelo, for example. Tupelo makes an incredible mead.

At a typical 3 lb per gallon, 15 gallons of mead would need 45 lb of honey. That much Tupelo would cost about $450 US.

Back