getting all foamy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keepitcold

Reaction score
Hey guys so I've been kegging for a while now and I have my first real problem. On my last keg of pumpkin ale I set the dial to.20 Psi for 5 days and The beer was Carbed nice. Last week Sunday I put on my IPA to Carb. It went 6 days at 20 psi and I poured of some beer and it was all foam. So I purged the keg and let it sit till today and 'its still foamy. I'm using 6 foot line with a picnic tap. Any advice?

6 days at 20psi, what is the temp of the keg? Sounds like it's over carbed. Maybe a little short on the lines as well. Need a bit more info.

At 36F it's odd because I did the same method two weeks ago any more info you might need?

At 36 degrees, 20psi puts the volume at 3.4 volumes of co2. Sounds like you're over carbed. You should probably try and unhook the gas, purge the excess co2 for a few days until you achieve the proper carb level. Then hook back up the gas at around 8-10psi if you maintain 36 degrees. You could also increase the serving line to 10' and see if that helps. seems the standard is 10' of 3/16 serving line and balance the system from there.

It's all about balancing the system once you achieve the correct carb level. Check out this chart for ideas on carb levels. http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

So if I do this for a couple of days purging the keg do you think it will come down to the point of no foam?

Yep, off the gas, the solution will fill the head space to equalize the pressure. When you purge, it's basically pulling more co2 out of solution. This will help to de-carb the beer. That's the great thing about kegging. You can fix the carb situation with a few adjustments.

Latest posts

Back