Getting a job

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markaw

Reaction score
Hi! My name is mark williams and for the last couple months I've been homebrewing. I created an account on here about a month ago and now want to take the next step in the brewing world. The problem is that I'm only 18. Now my question is should I just take my shot and walk into my local brewery and ask for work. I understand what I'm walking into really, but I really want experience under my belt as soon as possible! If there's any advice y'all can give about getting a position at a brewery that would be amazing!

I understand what I'm walking into really, but I really want experience under my belt as soon as possible! If there's any advice y'all can give about getting a position at a brewery that would be amazing!
No, sorry, chances are you don't know what you're walking into.

When you want to work in a brewery, it's totally immaterial, and can actual be harmful, if you know anything about brewing. They already have a head brewer and a few assistants.

But they do need workers, good, hard workers, who are there when needed. At their hours, not yours. There's always tons of cleaning, schlepping, organizing, gofer this, gofer that, kind of work. Did I mention cleaning?

What they are gonna ask you is if you can operate a forklift. Now if you can do that you become an asset to them.

No, sorry, chances are you don't know what you're walking into.

When you want to work in a brewery, it's totally immaterial, and can actual be harmful, if you know anything about brewing. They already have a head brewer and a few assistants.

But they do need workers, good, hard workers, who are there when needed. At their hours, not yours. There's always tons of cleaning, schlepping, organizing, gofer this, gofer that, kind of work. Did I mention cleaning?

What they are gonna ask you is if you can operate a forklift. Now if you can do that you become an asset to them.
That's what I would love to do!
I dont expect to touch the wort, yeast, or anything of that matter I just want to have the grounds work and work my way up. The things you just listed really excite me and I would love to do them!

When can you start?! I brew about twice a month and have a bad back so I could really use a gofer/strong back/equipment cleaner. I'll even let you drive my skidsteer and any one of my mowers/plow trucks you want! 🤣

Going to school for brewing is a great way to start and that way you learn from the experience of many brewers, not just one.

Welcome to HBT @markaw , I see you're in Los Gatos, is the Los Gatos CA? If so, we're practically neighbors.

As far as getting a job at a brewery, I have never worked at one, but I've spent plenty of time at them! Ultimately, it depends on what you are trying to do. Are you trying to become a brew master? Open your own brewery? Just a fun job? You are 18 which means you have all the time in the world to carve out the path you want to go down.

If you want to be a brew master, probably worth looking at Brewing at an academic level. UC Davis has a great brewing program.

If you want to open a brewery, probably worth going to school for business.

If you just want a fun job, then yeah walk right in and tell them you're willing to work!

Back