Getting a job at a brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the zahm is nice but also a picky lil device I usually do 2-3 readings then average what i get.At times running as much as 3-4 gallons of beer to get a solid reading.After the new brew house is in there is talk of getting a nice CO2 & O2 Analyzer to help trouble shoot our procedures.The last time we canned they had someone check the dissolved oxygen in the brite before packaging and we get less then 50 PPB.

I tried to get my buddy in to the brewery just for some free help on canning days. No dice, the boss just doesn't want anyone else in at the moment. it sucks because i could really use the help lol. after 20 barrels or so i really start to slow down. Its a lot of work for just 2 people + iron heart.(if you sneeze you get backed up) not to metion the cleaning falls soley on me. then i still ave to CIP two brites.The worst part being waiting for the god damn tanks to purge.By that time i'm beat and it feels like waiting for paint to dry.

i get sixtels for 50 bucks. Cans/ bottles/ growlers all free. as well as free access in the tap room even when im not working. If we dont have a grain i need for homebrew in stock I can order what ever i want from our distributor for for dirt cheap+ no shipping. I just got a 50lb sack of bavarian wheat DME for $100. Sacks of Marris otter for 45$ We dont charge our food trucks rent so they give us free food.
its a lot of work but right now im still happy, just trying to get my buddy in now.

the zahm is nice but also a picky lil device I usually do 2-3 readings then average what i get.At times running as much as 3-4 gallons of beer to get a solid reading.After the new brew house is in there is talk of getting a nice CO2 & O2 Analyzer to help trouble shoot our procedures.The last time we canned they had someone check the dissolved oxygen in the brite before packaging and we get less then 50 PPB.

I tried to get my buddy in to the brewery just for some free help on canning days. No dice, the boss just doesn't want anyone else in at the moment. it sucks because i could really use the help lol. after 20 barrels or so i really start to slow down. Its a lot of work for just 2 people + iron heart.(if you sneeze you get backed up) not to metion the cleaning falls soley on me. then i still ave to CIP two brites.The worst part being waiting for the god damn tanks to purge.By that time i'm beat and it feels like waiting for paint to dry.

i get sixtels for 50 bucks. Cans/ bottles/ growlers all free. as well as free access in the tap room even when im not working. If we dont have a grain i need for homebrew in stock I can order what ever i want from our distributor for for dirt cheap+ no shipping. I just got a 50lb sack of bavarian wheat DME for $100. Sacks of Marris otter for 45$ We dont charge our food trucks rent so they give us free food.
its a lot of work but right now im still happy, just trying to get my buddy in now.

Definitely perks to working in the industry. Ordering ingredients at wholesale (except I seldom if ever, ie never brew at home any more). Free beer. Etc. I take home free kegs every now and then.

I'd love lab equipment. But we're a new and fairly small operation (about 6 mos in, probably gonna produce about 1k bbls our first year). But growing rapidly and already talking expansion facility in a few years. Where ability to test dissolved oxygen and CO2 would be oh so nice to have. Doubt we'll go as far as a GC but that'd be such a fun toy. Or a centrifuge. I'd like one of those too.

And volunteer stuff is tricky. We'll allow volunteers for general tap room stuff. The only volunteers we'll allow in brewery operations are other employees (namely tap room staff who want to learn) and we still don't let em around chemicals or even the start of the boil. To risky to have just anyone in a brewery from an insurance perspective.

Hey guys i figured i would make a post since we just got a new brewhouse.I am hoping my days as a cellar man are numbered. Well they will have to be.We will start to produce twice as much beer and that would mean i need to keg twice as much a day and wait for larger tanks to purge. I'm already kegging 15-35 barrels a day and i have been working 10 hour days lately. So I'm gona need a hell of a raise or i need to advance out of grunt cellar dwellar.
On the plus side the owner of the brewery is constantly impressed by my sours.All my coworkers and random drop in i have shared them with always want more. Its a pipedream sure but i see this as my opening.I was already asked if i wanted to put one of my sours on tap at an event in september. luckily i always have sours going so i have a few to choose from that are 3-6 months. or some 1 gallon batches that are between 3-12+ months that can be blended.

I just read all thirteen pages of this thread and enjoyed it. I'm glad to see that things are going well for you, Grod1. Don't get tired yet, hang in there and work your ass off as long as you need to...stay interested and willing to learn and you'll get where you want to be.

Well i have been there for year tomorrow. 2 small raises, twice as much responsibility. we graduated from a 5 bbl system to a 20bbl system since i got there.It still doesn't seem that i will be brewing anytime soon.i would love to say any month now but i'm not sure that will be the case.
however my constant commitment to brewing has not gone unnoticed and the owner has agreed to give me a line in the tap room and collect profit from the sales. so that is super awesome. Doesn't get much better then that.but i still need a raise...

So i got a pretty major raise. A "please stay here, dont look for other work raise" besides that i have a new homebrew beer on tap every week so thats extra money.And extremely generous from the owner/ and much appreciated.
But... brewing is still not in the foreseeable future.Maybe the next time i make a post on here it will be a different case. For now we will have to see how long it takes for an average joe off the street with no brewing experience to make it to brewer.
some new responsibilities are
-collecting yeast/ pitching yeast.
-transferring fermented beer into the brite tanks.
-add finings

Last edited:
...besides that i have a new homebrew beer on tap every week so thats extra money.

That’s quite the demand both for your beer and work by you to supply it. Very cool position to be in if that’s truly where you want to be. Good luck

So i got a pretty major raise. A "please stay here, dont look for other work raise" besides that i have a new homebrew beer on tap every week so thats extra money.And extremely generous from the owner/ and much appreciated.
But... brewing is still not in the foreseeable future.Maybe the next time i make a post on here it will be a different case. For now we will have to see how long it takes for an average joe off the street with no brewing experience to make it to brewer.

What's considered an average joe?
Getting out of the army, I had put together a decent resume highlighting my homebrew knowledge, making it applicable to a large scale brewery. After getting called in for 3/5 interviews, I accepted a position as an assistant brewer this past January. In June, I accepted a move up to head brewer :p

"I" ( me, 1 co worker and 1 friend) split 70% of the pours recorded. It is becoming quite a demand but we are stocked up for 4-5 weeks and have about 6 sours that will acceptable by spring.
No assistant brewer jobs available at my location ever.Either you were there from the beginning(2009) or you start there from the ground up. Cellar1 to cellar 2 to brewer.when you are a brewer you are expected to do all 3 jobs depending on the rotating schedule.
Electrake how many bbls do you do a day? we do two separate 20Bbl boils.

Last edited:
"I" ( me, 1 co worker and 1 friend) split 70% of the pours recorded. It is becoming quite a demand but we are stocked up for 4-5 weeks and have about 6 sours that will acceptable by spring.
No assistant brewer jobs available at my location ever.Either you were there from the beginning(2009) or you start there from the ground up. Cellar1 to cellar 2 to brewer.when you are a brewer you are expected to do all 3 jobs depending on the rotating schedule.
Electrake how many bbls do you do a day? we do two separate 20Bbl boils.

I brew 1 20bbl brew a week, and a 10bbl brew every other week. two of those other days, I go to Appalachian State where I am in the fermentations degree, or I'm brewing a small batch (1BBL).

Well sir you are a veteran with a degree in fermentation. i would not say you are an average joe off the street.

It's certainly tougher learning in the trenches without the piece of paper saying you know what you're doing, even if you've read all the same texts and known the same stuff.

But that's the case in every industry.

So glad your hard work has paid off. So many people are unwilling to just start somewhere and work up. In the long run the two years in college will have value and two years of honest hard work will as well. Sounds like your owner's very generous. If there's enough money there in the long run then you have hit the jackpot. I would be stupid and blow it by going somewhere else looking for more money. Maybe finding nice people maybe not.

Side note, is 20 barrels a week enough to sell kegs to customers, kegs to restaurants, cans on shelves in liquor store, bottles to go, Taproom etc?

So glad your hard work has paid off. So many people are unwilling to just start somewhere and work up. In the long run the two years in college will have value and two years of honest hard work will as well. Sounds like your owner's very generous. If there's enough money there in the long run then you have hit the jackpot. I would be stupid and blow it by going somewhere else looking for more money. Maybe finding nice people maybe not.

Side note, is 20 barrels a week enough to sell kegs to customers, kegs to restaurants, cans on shelves in liquor store, bottles to go, Taproom etc?

I'm not sure about OP, but we have cans, daily keg sales (self distributed), cans in the taproom, etc. We are in a small mountain town in NC so we can't rely on our taproom sales alone unless it's a "peak season" :p

Tap room sales are >10%.We can 80BBLs every 2 weeks(iron hart)/ bottle 15bbls every 2 weeks with our own machine. Keg/draft about 40bbls a day( about 80 kegs). We are distributed by Union.
one twenty barrel batch a week would be enough to produce about 25-30 ,50 liter kegs every 7 days.

Seems like a fun thread and just wanted to add my experience, if that's alright.

I'm an intern at my local brewery now. I started just being a regular and having the guys that work there try and critique my homebrew. Eventually they casually offered for me to come brew with them on a brew day, and it worked with my work schedule, so I did and had a great time. Now I'm there at least once or twice a week as my work schedule allows, brewing or CIPing and all that. I also sort of naturally just started working in the tap room, until about a month ago they let me run shifts alone. I work for tips, which can be a lot, and it really helps my financial situation.

We're expanding and buying a new, bigger building by the summer. Once that happens, I'm guaranteed a full time job, with a good salary, room for raises and benefits. I'll tell you what, I work a lot harder there than at my normal job, but there's something that just feels great about busting your hump doing what you love.

Some things I've learned, especially coming from a homebrewing background:

1. Commercial brewing is in some ways a lot easier than home brewing. CIPing is a lot easier than being hunched over your bathtub, scrubbing out yeast from a fermenter or proteins from your kettle. There is also a sense that your hard work is making more product. There is a similar work/time investment in brewing a 9 bbl batch than there is a 5 gallon home brew. One clearly makes more than the other.

2. My boss is super generous. I get free beer whenever I want, including growlers. He's also given me my pick of hops for when I home brew, and has lent me kegs, beer guns, temp control devices etc. As well as teaching me how to brew on big systems, he's allowing me to see the business side so I can learn how to run my own brewery some day.

3. I have a much different understanding of the brewery business now. There are a lot of amateurs out there, and lot of breweries that aren't going to make it. I'm happy I'm working somewhere where the senior staff has all had experience working at huge, successful places than just someone who went from home brewing to commercial.

holy **** guys,I did it.
It might have taken me over three years but i am now an official brewer with the pay to show for it( making more then the average brewmaster of a large brewpub).
Worked my way threw the ranks of packaging and cellar work.Proved my work ethic and showed my value. I just got home from a 12 hour day 40 bbls later.
...very satisfying to reach a goal, but... Its way more fun to homebrew...

holy fudge guys,I did it.
It might have taken me over three years but i am now an official brewer with the pay to show for it( making more then the average brewmaster of a large brewpub).
Worked my way threw the ranks of packaging and cellar work.Proved my work ethic and showed my value. I just got home from a 12 hour day 40 bbls later.

Congrats!!

holy fudge guys,I did it.
Congrats. Working all the way up is tough.

You'll stop homebrewing soon enough. We all do.

Also where's paying you that well (rhetorical question)? I love my job and I love this industry, but high paying it ain't. Though in this area the dichotomy is just especially bad.

Wow dude I had to go back and read through all that. What an awesome story.

I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere in a steady and pretty well paid office job which was rapidly driving me insane. I managed to get a minimum wage job as a brewery assistant in a local brewery based on talking about my home brewing experience. They were really wary of me because generally home brewers do some pretty weird stuff and ... you don't need to really know how to brew to clean and package ... there is a bit of "come work in a brewery, come live the dream" when really they just need somebody to do the heavy lifting and the horrible jobs that everybody else is sick of doing. I felt I knew the score. They don't want you to be too bright sometimes because you'll get bored. Staff turn over was very high there, it felt like you'll do it or you'll go just like the previous 10 guys this year. My home brewing was at the yeast prop, microscope, pH testing, temperature control, water treatment, all grain, keg bar stage so I knew I was at a standard above the average beer kit in a bucket. I was ANNOYINGLY ambitious.

I did two trial days and got freaked out about getting paid. Everybody thought I was insane because my boss was super elusive about money. Had to make it clear that while I enjoyed the experience, if I'm working I'm getting paid and hopefully he can already see the value. I told him he wouldn't work for free, I was doing a job that needed doing and I'm sure he expects his customers to pay him and just take a calculated risk. If he felt he made a mistake and I was full of **** he can always get rid of me anyway (he liked that). It was tense for a while. I am very lucky to have a small mortgage! People thought I was mad leaving my job.

I did a lot of cleaning in all weathers. Like months of nothing but cleaning. I also tackled anything that I could and worked really hard, process improvements even building maintenance. I think some of the other guys were like ... **** our new keg washer just cut and laid new drains and knows how to brew ... A lot of the guys were quite happy to have me do their jobs which went badly for them because my boss was not a very reasonable man and quickly realised he didn't need as many staff he just needed the right staff. Again, a few tense moments where I had to stand my ground, make it clear that I'd do things, but if I said I couldn't or wouldn't then I wasn't being unreasonable I had good reasons. Not everybody could say the same. I had to basically justify why I wasn't taking **** and why I wasn't going to be treated like that. I had management experience, understood systems, processes, health and safety had quite a few qualifications including a degree. It didn't help that I had no formal brewing qualifications though because I wanted to do a lot of things? House yeast, mixed cultures, barrel ageing, very particular water treatment, different ways of working out efficiencies and recipes to maximise output, different fermentation profiles and I was trying to explain this stuff to people who didn't always understand it, so they were looking to my credentials rather than my arguments.

What helped was always explaining it and being consistent, a lot of the other guys couldn't deal with being questioned and just tried to fudge their way through stuff and it always got found out in the end. A lot of it at the start was also just not standing around when I was done, always looking for a new task, I've finished this one, give me something else to do, nothing to do? I'm going to write standard operating procedures, paint the building, implement pest control, monthly checks, sign off sheets and scrub the damn slime off the ceiling telling the people who laughed at me saying slow down and sit on my ass to show some respect for what they are doing or get out of my way.

Like I said I was pretty (REALLY) annoying. Alongside that I was always bringing in home brewed beer. People really liked it. Never compromised on it, if you want this then this is what we need to be doing. The proof is in the beer.

ANYWAY. After 6 months I was brewing. After a year I was pretty much doing whatever I wanted. After two I'm head brewer/lead brewer/brewery manager. A lot of this is because my boss is cheap and difficult and not many people can tolerate him, but also it is because I know what I'm doing and he has been forced to accept that I'm working at a level where he needs to just leave me alone. I work whatever hours are needed, typically 55 a week and get paid quite well and ALWAYS hold a high standard. It has been almost three years and we've gone from 4 staff producing 6,000L a week to 3 staff producing 14,500L a week and I'm really proud of the increases in production, efficiency, SAFETY, staff satisfaction, beer quality, ambition and range.

I have to set little goals, look at the bigger picture, delay gratification. It is a business after all. But I'm getting to do exactly what I want now. I have to be passionate about what I do otherwise I'd not sustain the hours and the pay doesn't make up for it otherwise. I left an easy well paid job because I want to do what I'm passionate about. This year will be laying down barrels, producing some canned sours, things I never would have dreamed the brewery would be doing when I started. Everything else I've wanted to do we are doing, winning quite a few awards, regional ones, collaborations with breweries I respect, bit of travel and events ...

When I started we produced a core range of average quality average price quite traditional ale, 2g/L was a big dry hop. I've a can run (cans!) on monday for a big hazy IPA and a pale with bergamot, cornflower, sunflower, saffron and rose petal. Last december we did a triple IPA. The december I started our 'special' was a ginger best bitter, our best bitter with dried ginger in the boil. I did a bruxellensis IPA on 280kg of peaches. Like if I think back it is amazing how far things have come on.

It is hard work though and the pay isn't very good! There are a lot of easier jobs which will pay the same or more.

Latest posts

Back