Get rid of rubber hose smell in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBigHops

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I did something stupid. I started to fill my new stainless steel fermenter with water for a leak test from my garden hose. Big mistake! I caught it immediately after about 4 gallons and drained it, then filled it with 6 gallons of hot water from the kitchen sink. Will this rinse and maybe another one tomorrow be sufficient to not impart that smell into my beer? Or should I break it all down and scrub it? I'd like to avoid that as I don't have a lot of time and plan to brew Saturday morning. Or should I add some vinegar to the water rinse? If so, what ratio?

Thanks.

It should have just rinsed away honestly? stainless is not porous and doesnt not retain odors.

What is your garden hose made of that the smell was so strong?

It should have just rinsed away honestly? stainless is not porous and doesnt not retain odors.

What is your garden hose made of that the smell was so strong?
It's a 100 foot hose with a spray nozzle that hadn't been used since last weekend, so I imagine around a gallon of water had been sitting in the hose in the hot Houston sun for several days. Again, my bad. I should have run out a few gallons before I filled the fermenter.

And it's not the stainless that I'm worried about. It's the rubber seals on my butterfly valves and the silicon Tri Clover gaskets.

Bumpity bump bump

Anyone ever get a rubber smell from their equipment?

Suspected Cause:

I use the hot water coming out of my immersion chiller to fill up my corny fementers and add a few table spoons of sodium percarbonate. To this I throw in everything that needs a good soak. I also added the rubber bungs for my fermenter. I think these don't like the hot temps or maybe reacted to the sodium percarbonate.

I've rinsed and star sanned the kegs and have them out airing on the balcony hoping that will work while I wait for the wort to chill in the kettle. Anyone else have experience with this?

I've been getting leery of "garden hose water" anywhere in my brewing equipment, especially plastics.

The chlorine/rubber smell was overwhelming when I cleaned out an Igloo cooler and sprayed out my mash tun last week. I let them air out in the bright sun for a couple days, but I'm just going to use a bucket with fresh water for cleaning those things.

If my garden hose spigot wasn't mounted only a few inches above the driveway surface, I'd use a Y adapter. One for the long garden hose, the other for brew cleanup, maybe with a short piece of a potable water/RV hose or a silicone hose on it. Maybe I'll move the spigot up to a reasonable height. Another home project on the list...

I brew indoors and reclaim the first 5-6 gallons of hot chiller water in a bucket, for cleanup. But it smells pretty bad too, using braided vinyl hoses. I think that's about the acceptable limit. It's not anywhere nearly as bad as what comes out of the garden hose.

Back