Get better mash efficiency with 2 kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sergiy

Reaction score
Hi, i want transfer wort into separate kettle after mashing, add hot water to original kettle to rinsing the remaining sugars from the grain and then add there main wort volume back. Should be kind of batch sparge method, but without boil kettle. My second kettle isn't good for boiling, but ok for transfer. Is there any potential problem that i could face? I use grain bag for mashing.

No issue there other than it being a bit labor-intensive.

Alternately, you could dunk sparge your bag in hot water that's sitting in the second kettle, and add that water into the original mash/boil vessel.

No issue there other than it being a bit labor-intensive.

Alternately, you could dunk sparge your bag in hot water that's sitting in the second kettle, and add that water into the original mash/boil vessel.

Is it even necessary to heat the sparge water? I keep some in a 2nd smaller kettle but it's just room temp RO or distilled water. When the mash is done I just dunk the bag in the second kettle and work it around for a minute then dump everything into the main kettle and start the boil with the bag off to the side on a colander draining.

You are correct - it's not necessary to heat the sparge water. But if time and equipment allow, it avoids delaying your boil to do so.

Back