Get better at clean styles, or try a sour for fun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wxman73

Reaction score
I have been wanting to try and make a sour beer for a few months now. It is something that I have been reading about a lot.

I have been brewing for only a little over 2 years. But I have been brewing a lot during the 2 years. While I would like to try to make a sour ale, something inside me is telling me to get better at clean beers first.

I have a lot of room to improve on my clean beer brewing.

I guess I want someone elses opinion. SWMBO says don't make a sour ale (they take too long and she doesn't like them). Would love to hear what others think.

Thanks!

Sours take a while. Brew one, forget it and keep brewing ales. What's the harm? If I only brewed what my wife liked it'd be raspberry wheats and the like every time.

I say make a sour, cause I love 'em, and the brewing process does not have to be different than what you normally do, so you are still practicing. Plus, they have to sit for so long that you will get plenty of practice making other styles in the meantime. Jump in, they aren't scary.

Get an extra fermenter and then dedicate one ( or more) to sours. Brew up a sour and forget about it. Then you can keep brewing clean brews while you are waiting for the sour. I waited a long time before doing my first sour and wish I had not waited. It came out great. I have the second one in bottles and have three more going. If you like them the key is to do one every few months so the waiting time between when they are ready is not so long.

Concentrating on improving your brewing practice is a good thing. So keep doing that while you are waiting.

In many ways, sour beers are easier than regular beers. Simple recipes, pitch bugs, and leave alone.

Spend some time reading the Lambic and Wild Brewing Forum.

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it. I plan on making a sour brown and a few weeks (after I brew a few IPAs for SWMBO).

Cheers

Latest posts

Back