gesho in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grod1

Reaction score
Lookin for the Tej makers out there to lend some input on this herb/gruit IPA.
Iwould like to also make a tej style braggot.
I cant seem to find any accurate descriptions of what it actually taste like.(spicy?)
there is conflicting info on how much to add or when since it it used for mead. I found one post on here talking about tej and gesho and the person says .5 oz to a gallon that seems like a good place to start but that is in primary.and i would like to put it in the boil, but dont know for how long.i have stems and leaves.
so far what im leaning to is the stems @ 5 mins and leaves @1min in a hop sock then possibly added to fermenter?
any suggestions or input?

Last edited:
I make tej quite often and the last batch I made I used kitel (the leaves) - 1 oz boiled for 30 minutes but that was a little strong. At least that was the verdict by the judges at the Mazer cup a few months ago. You might treat the leaves as if they were tea leaves and boil and steep for 5 -10 minutes. If I use the inchet (the stems) I might use 2 oz per gallon. Stems are supposed to make a clearer tej but I have no problem obtaining a bright clear tej when using the leaves.
I allow my gesho to sit in the primary for about a week and then rack my mead off the leaves or stems. I don't bother with a sock as I prefer to stir the mead to degas and that stirring (I think) allows for more flavor to be extracted.
I don't consider the flavor to be "spicy" or but it is slightly "bitter". It is a flavor that balances the sweetness that is inherent in any mead (even a dry one) so I would think that gesho might be excellent in a braggot, though I myself have never used gesho for that.

I make tej quite often and the last batch I made I used kitel (the leaves) - 1 oz boiled for 30 minutes but that was a little strong. At least that was the verdict by the judges at the Mazer cup a few months ago. You might treat the leaves as if they were tea leaves and boil and steep for 5 -10 minutes. If I use the inchet (the stems) I might use 2 oz per gallon. Stems are supposed to make a clearer tej but I have no problem obtaining a bright clear tej when using the leaves.
I allow my gesho to sit in the primary for about a week and then rack my mead off the leaves or stems. I don't bother with a sock as I prefer to stir the mead to degas and that stirring (I think) allows for more flavor to be extracted.
I don't consider the flavor to be "spicy" or but it is slightly "bitter". It is a flavor that balances the sweetness that is inherent in any mead (even a dry one) so I would think that gesho might be excellent in a braggot, though I myself have never used gesho for that.
Now I also want to try it...

awesome man thank you for the response.i am going to make some tea with the inchet and kitel in separate cups later today.The bag of inchet i have smell like nutmeg. and the kitel smell like oregano.

awesome man thank you for the response.i am going to make some tea with the inchet and kitel in separate cups later today.The bag of inchet i have smell like nutmeg. and the kitel smell like oregano.
Thanks, now I don't want to use it anymore :D

Back