German. Pronunciation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Wert" means "worth", correct. However, it does not mean "wort" - "Würze" is what a German brewer calls unfermented beer.

You are correct, that was my mistake. They usually call it Stammwürze in fact: you'll see their gravity readings labeled as "Stammwürze 7 °P".

German is not a problem for me. I had four years of it in high school.

There is some Dutch terminology in brewing. Comes from Belgium, where 60% of the population speaks Dutch.

I am studying Dutch now -- Ik leer nu Nederlands.

Dubbel, Trippel, Oud Bruin. I have learned to pronounce the "ui" diphthong in Dutch. To English ears, it sounds similar to the "ou" in loud, but sharper and twangier. Take the first a in 'lava', and follow it with the ü in German 'über'. The Dutch word for snow is sneeuw -- "snay-ew"

German is not a problem for me. I had four years of it in high school.

There is some Dutch terminology in brewing. Comes from Belgium, where 60% of the population speaks Dutch.
The terminology is in Flemish as far I remember.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Hey guys. I'm new here :)

It was fun reading through this thread, feels like home. Y'all doing a pretty good job with the phonetics too. If I can be of help, let me know.

This forum is a great place btw.

Wie gut kannst du Deutsch sprechen?

Kunt jij Nederlands spreken?

Back