German IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavman22

Reaction score
I know... No such thing. I'm thinking about trying something new. Thinking about a German IPA. 1.060 of mostly Pilsner malt, maybe a little Munich. 50 or so IBU's of hallertau and Saaz with some later aroma additions and dry hopping. Ferment with German Ale 1007 in the high 50's. Anyone done anything like this?

I've thought about it (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=452329), but haven't done it yet. There a couple links to commercial examples in that thread, but it looks like the link to the Stone example has since retired.

I think you're spot in with mostly Pilsner malt, with some Munich added. Since noble hops are such low alpha, I'd probably recommend using something more potent for bittering, just to keep the hop matter down, and save the Saaz et al. for the end if the boil.

I could definitely see getting on the IPL bandwagon for this this.

If you do it, let me know how it turns out. Now you got me thinking about it again. I'm planning in doing a German Pilsner soon, maybe I'll go out if style and throw a bunch of Saaz at it.

A Pilsner kinda got me thinking about it. I don't have lagering capabilities but I brew a pseudo Pilsner urquel clone with 1007. Then I figured why not hop the heck out of it and raise the OG a bit?

Ever had Sam Adams noble pills? That's the closest I've seen to a German IPA. Back when it was a seasonal, it was delicious.

What about something like Firestone's Pivo Pils. Its a hoppy pilsner. Maybe on the lower spectrum of an IPA but it may be inspiration. I think they use saphir hops for flavor/ dry hopping.

Stay German and use Magnum for bittering, then get your flavour & aroma from the other hops later on.

I know... No such thing. I'm thinking about trying something new. Thinking about a German IPA. 1.060 of mostly Pilsner malt, maybe a little Munich. 50 or so IBU's of hallertau and Saaz with some later aroma additions and dry hopping. Ferment with German Ale 1007 in the high 50's. Anyone done anything like this?

I tried this very thing a year ago.
I used 50% wyermann pale ale, 50% wyermann vienna, mashed @ 155.
Northern Brewer for bittering, perl and spalt for flavor/aroma.
I also used 1007 but probably fermented in the lower 60's.
Beer came out OK but probably missed the mark on overall hoppiness - it fell short.
It was drinkable, but I don't think I liked it enough to make a second attempt.

The craft branch of Coors does an India Pale Lager. I've had it and it was ok, but not as good as an IPA IMO. I'm not sure if that is available outside of colorado or not.

I'm plannign on doing a sort of european IPA in a few weeks if i get time

About 6%
97% Weyerman Vienna
3% weyerman cara rye

Hop the **** out of it with new Slovenian hops

Yeast will either be uso5 or the hales yeast

No idea if it'll be any good or a bit of a mess, but that's half the fun of this hobby right? :)

Good luck with yours

Back