German beer recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkenney

Reaction score
Trying to decide on a recipe to brew for my father in law. Want a find a good style and recipe for a dark, strong, German style that will age well. Would rather do a ale over a lager. Leaning toward a Rauchbier, but open for suggestions.

Weizenbock? I have something sorta experimental in mind for a schwarz-weizen-dopplebock but I haven't brewed it yet.
I was thinking like 50/50 wheat/Vienna for the base with some special B, melanoiden, & midnight wheat for color. was gonna shoot for something in the 8-8.5% range. low IBU with noble hops & wy3068 for fermentation.

Trying to decide on a recipe to brew for my father in law. Want a find a good style and recipe for a dark, strong, German style that will age well. Would rather do a ale over a lager. Leaning toward a Rauchbier, but open for suggestions.

A Rouchbier is a lager. German ales include Kolsch, Altbier, and wheat beers. How dark and how strong are you looking for?

Looking around a 8-9% abv. Darker the better, but open for suggestions

If you want strong and dark that doesn't leave much besides doppelbock unless I'm forgetting something.

You could do a dunkelweizen. Its dark, malty and characteristically German. Only thing is its 4-5% abv, but you can make a stronger version if you want.

A Rouchbier is a lager. German ales include Kolsch, Altbier, and wheat beers. How dark and how strong are you looking for?

If you want strong and dark that doesn't leave much besides doppelbock unless I'm forgetting something.

And I think those German ales typically use hybrid yeast strains where you still have to keep temps down to the upper 50F to lower 60F range.

I assume time is a factor. You're brewing for his birthday, or Christmas, or another event? You could use a yeast strain that isn't to style for the non-wheat beers so they'll clear in time. I think that a wheat is really your best bet, though. Off-topic, wheats aren't very reeinheitsgebot, so how are they still considered German?

If you can lager and you have some time (probably 4 to 14 months) doppelbock would be the way to go. Why not brew one around now as well so you'll have something for him next year, too?

Off-topic, wheats aren't very reeinheitsgebot, so how are they still considered German?

Good point.
In my opinion, some of the best wheat beers are Belgian and Bavarian. Just some historical fun, some peckish Bavarians consider themselves a whole other country like the Texans do.

Some of my favorite darker German brews have been Kostritzer and Trauenstein braunbier (don't think they make it anymore, but the Dunkel is still around). Kostritzer exports to the US, but the Traunstein beer is a local brew I got enamored with years ago when bumping around Augsburg ... then there's Kulmbacher Kapuziner Schwarze-weizen, a less alcoholic dark.
The great thing about beer is the variety. Some of the best ones aren't BJCP or Rheinheitsgebot, so experimenting and getting something you like in the process is part of the fun.

(Basic grist)
5lb. Pilsner
5lb. Weyermann dark wheat
1.75lb. Crystal 120L
WLP003 German Ale Yeast

That gets you into Weizenbock territory w/2oz Hallertau Hersbreucker at 60mins without having an OG that would require a longer aging time.
If you want something a bit stronger like Doppelbock, just add 2-3lb. of Munich malt and a bit more hops and you'll be fine.

What about brewing a german style dark, bock of sorts, and fermenting with saflager 34/70 at an ale temp? It produces a cleaner profile than most ale yeasts would at the same temp. You could brew a dopplemock lager.

Oh, and don't forget your water. If you're using soft or distilled water this ain't gonna turn out well.

As a noob, I tried using my soft house water to brew a dark beer like this and it came out tart. Smelled great before I bottled, but after one taste about a month later, I knew something was "off" - and slowly realized it was my water, even though my bottle carbing was perfect.

Thanks for the suggestions, still leaning toward an ale and not a lager, not Cole enough here in NC. Read some recipes on line about using a ale yeast for a Rauchbier. Won't be a accurate Rauchbier, but close enough. Any ideas with the yeast?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back