German beer question- Wyeast 1007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Koepke

DaveK
Reaction score
So I brewed a Munich Dunkel. It has a tangy after flavor. this is not necessarily a bad flavor just different than I was expecting. I used German Pilsner and Munich malts with a little of chocolate malt and carafa II. The yeast I used was a Wyeast 1007 German Ale.

I realize this was not the exact yeast for this style but I needed an ale yeast v the lager yeast the recipe called for.

Some German beers like a Lowenbrau as an example have a similar tangyness. Do you think this came from the yeast, german pilsner malt, or would it possibly been caused by adding too much lactic acid. I added 6ml of lactic and my meter said the wort was 5.4 at mash temp.

Thanks.

Does the beer have any haze? Yeast itself tastes tangy to me, and Wyeast 1007 doesn't like to settle out very fast, but it will settle in time. You just might need some conditioning to take more of the yeast out and the problem might disappear on its own.

Otherwise, it's possible you got a low level contamination or something like that. 1007 beers don't taste tangy to me.

I agree with @dmtaylor , and have used WY1007 in altbiers, cream ales, amber ales and even wheat beers; never a noticable tanginess but that yeast does like to hang around quite a while.

Does the beer have any haze? Yeast itself tastes tangy to me

Hard to say since its a dark beer to see the haze. It's been sitting in the primary for 1 month. I have heard the yeast stays in suspension longer so maybe it is that. Thanks for your comments. I will let it bottle condition and sit for a while.

Back