Gentleman. New at brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertoochy

Reaction score
I'm making one gallon of California common beer. I will be using the recommended safale us 05 yeast. I do not know how much yeast to use. Can some one give me a specific amount? I have an 11.5 gram bag. As I type this I am 20 minutes into the boil. Thanks in advance

Batch size?

I will assume 5 gallons. Use the entire packet and make sure to rehydrate that yeast. Using -05 for a california common is ok as long as you keep the fermentation temperatures at the low end of the yeast's range to minimize the esters that would push it out of style.

I consider a california common to have two distinct differences over amber ale: it uses lager yeast that is well suited to warmer fermentation while retaining lager characteristics AND showcases the Northern Brewer hop.

One gallon. Thank for asking I edited the original question as I left that very important bit out

Well then...I haven't brewed a one gallon batch before but the whole packet would be a gross overpitch. Hopefully someone else comes along but I would think about 1/5 to 1/4 of the packet would suffice.

Is this a kit with instructions or something you created the recipe for?

thatjonguy said:
Well then...I haven't brewed a one gallon batch before but the whole packet would be a gross overpitch. Hopefully someone else comes along but I would think about 1/5 to 1/4 of the packet would suffice. Is this a kit with instructions or something you created the recipe for?

It's a recipe from Brooklyn Homebrew, however, it's not very specific as to how much yeast ( in grams ) to pitch.

Am million thanks both to "hatjongguy" and "aiptasia"

Very much appreciate the advice. Will do 20 percent. I will also note the mr malty yeast tool for future reference

yes. hopefully you kept the rest, sealed and refrigerated. Use it soon. Rehydrate for best results. If you want to use it for a 5 gallon batch, make a starter. You'll be overpitching if you do and are making a beer within 1.040 and 1.060, but anything on the higher end of that scale will be just fine.
On the other hand I have pitched on to 3rd and 4th generation US05 yeast cakes (very high pitch rates at that point), and I don't dislike the beer it makes. Fermentation takes off within less than a half hour, and it's scary big. But, I digress.

Latest posts

Back